What's new

Thorpe Park |"The Swarm"| B&M Wing Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coastermaniac94 said:
on the subject of 4d coasters intamin nor B&M will make a 4d in my opnion due to the complexity and reliability issues. Lc12 is not 4d and I doubt it ever will be, At 2013 SW7 will not be a 4d as its meant to be a worlds first as 4d has already been done by Arrows and S&S

Uh, you can't say intamin hasn't made 4D coasters. You can say they haven't made a 4D with wing walker trains.

That can be said. Just wanted to clarify that.

michaellll said:
Coastermaniac94 said:
on the subject of 4d coasters intamin nor B&M will make a 4d in my opnion due to the complexity and reliability issues. Lc12 is not 4d and I doubt it ever will be, At 2013 SW7 will not be a 4d as its meant to be a worlds first as 4d has already been done by Arrows and S&S

Uh, you can't say intamin hasn't made 4D coasters. You can say they haven't made a 4D with wing walker trains.

That can be said. Just wanted to clarify that.
I meant a wing rider with rotating seats and as far as I am aware Intamin have not. I do correct myself on Intamin imo not making one because regarding their innovation I could see them doing one if a park requested it

Edit: 4d to me is a coaster with seats on the wing which spin. I have ridden Furius Baco so I think I know a bit about Intamins wing rider

Coastermaniac94 said:
I meant a wing rider with rotating seats and as far as I am aware Intamin have not.

They have. Inferno (Terra Mitica), Kirnu (Linnanmaki), Insane (Grona Lund) & SFMM are currently building one named Green Lantern.

10WaTT said:
Coastermaniac94 said:
I meant a wing rider with rotating seats and as far as I am aware Intamin have not.

They have. Inferno (Terra Mitica), Kirnu (Linnanmaki), Insane (Grona Lund) & SFMM are currently building one named Green Lantern.
true I forgot about the zacspins but they are not really the same bacause they rotate freely rather than a controlled rotation

Coastermaniac94 said:
true I forgot about the zacspins but they are not really the same bacause they rotate freely rather than a controlled rotation

They do count as all you were talking about was 4D coasters and that is what they all are.

10WaTT said:
Coastermaniac94 said:

I know they are both 4D I am just saying they are completely different and apart from the seating plan it is hard to compare the two. zacspin http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ZTjtAVeNdGU/R ... maki.jpg... now this has a free rotation and vertical track rather than controlled rotation and a track design which is 100% different.... jesus

THORPE PARK is delighted to announce that on Wednesday 30th March 2011, the Runnymede Borough Council granted full planning consent for the development of the Park's seventh rollercoaster, with construction due to commence in May 2011.

Considered by many as the 'Rolls Royce' of the rollercoaster industry, Swiss manufacturer, Bolliger & Mabillard (B&M; ) has been commissioned to build the 127ft high coaster that is due to open in spring 2012. The ride, known as a Wing Rider, is a significant overall investment of £20m, and will feature the unique seating arrangement where guests are positioned either side of the track with nothing below or above them, leaving them to feel vulnerable and exposed..heightening the thrill.

Project named LC12, the ride will be located on one of the new islands next to the Park's iconic rollercoaster, Stealth, and will take on a THORPE PARK twist through 4 extreme inversions as riders are dragged on a death-defying flight into apocalyptic devastation.

With some of the theme elements, including crashed aircrafts, having already drawn criticism from the British Airline and Pilot Association (BALPA) who branded it 'tasteless' due to the Park's proximity to Heathrow, Mike Vallis, Divisional Director at THORPE PARK, comments: "We're absolutely ecstatic with the decision as we're incredibly excited about the new ride. It is something that cannot be found anywhere else in the country and the exceptional theme elements will enhance the experience. The whole project has been heavily researched and the results showed unequivocal support for the theme of 'urban devastation'.

This new rollercoaster is the first investment of our Medium Term Development plans that were also granted by the Council yesterday and marks a significant stage in moving THORPE PARK towards a short break destination, and ultimately a resort positioning with a hotel proposal also in development."

http://www.facebook.com/#!/notes/thorpe-park-mania/lc12-plans-approved/10150150321669182

The BALPA "outcry" against the theme of the ride.

I say it's a fabrication of the park's PR department, and/or ad agency hired to promote the new attraction.

rollermonkey said:
Why on earth would Thorpe be using the BALPA quote in a press release if they didn't love it?

lol

I say it's all staged.
This isn't from Thorpe, it's from a fansite Thorpe Park Mania.

I'm not sure if it's staged. It does sound exactly like the sort of thing Merlin PR would do (like Alton's 'clown protest' piece) but BALPA are very real and I'm not sure if they'd void their credibility like that.

It's never too early for Promo. That's one of Merlin's PR rules, along with "You can't sink too low with promo." and the classic: "all promo is good promo."

Even if you think it's too early for the 2012 coaster, it's still getting Thorpe's name around now, good for this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.