Thorpe Park |"The Swarm"| B&M Wing Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Brilliant! At last some decent news for thrill seekers!

In line with THORPE PARK’s Medium Term Development Plan, application for full planning permission for a new rollercoaster in 2012 has been submitted to Runnymede Borough Council. This can be viewed on the Runnymede Borough Council website, http://www.runnymede.gov.uk (ref: RU.11/0101).

The German manufacturer Bolliger and Mabillard have been commissioned to build the unique new rollercoaster due to their consistent record of delivering extreme rides of the highest quality. Subject to planning permission, the ride will open in Spring 2012 and will be located on one of the new development islands adjacent to Stealth, measuring just under 40 metres in height.

Mike Vallis, Divisional Director, comments:
“THORPE PARK has developed significantly over the last decade to create the ‘must do’ destination for thrill seekers in the UK. We have focussed our investment on delivering exciting new rides and attractions including SAW – The Ride: the world’s first horror movie themed rollercoaster, Stealth: one of Europe’s fastest rollercoasters, Colossus: the world’s first 10 looping rollercoaster and Nemesis Inferno the 4.5 G-force experience.

This new development for 2012 will further add to the Park’s impressive ride portfolio and firmly establish the THORPE PARK as the nation’s Thrill Capital with a wide range of adrenaline pumping rides.”

Source: http://www.thorpepark.com/press/releases/default.aspx

I don't care for all the crap that usually gets posted about Thorpe, i think this is great news. Thorpe Park is currently the only UK park that's developing rides which will satisfy my high-octane taste. So much so, for a change, I'm actually looking forward to the construction!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
So what sort of ride do we think it will be?

It's a B&M, another wing-rider maybe?

Finally, I have an excuse to put my trip to Thorpe off until 2012...

Mark

Strata Poster
My money is on the Wing Rider. Thorpe will be able to go all 'first one in the UK' like it matters and all that. Plus it is the newest B&M product so it would just make sense.

If not, Id take a stab at a Flyer like Manta or a Floorless. The flyer being the most likely. However, I haven't looked at the various heights and so on as to which is most likely based on a physical scale...

It would seem that Merlin are back to doing a fair amount of business with B&M. Heide have the Dive Machine, Gardaland has the 'Wing-Rider' and now Thorpe are getting something box-tracked.

Ironically, the link in the Press Release that Ian posted just takes you the Runnymede Website... I have it bookmarked anyways and the planning application number ref: RU.11/0101 isn't even on there yet! When (or if) it does appear you will find it here:
http://ww2.runnymede.gov.uk/home/latest ... anapps.htm

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
^ Me to.

That's a nice, decent height for a good wing-walker.

I'll be suprised if it's any other coaster type.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^Well the B&M wing walker is the most likely.

A Flyer is doubtful because of the problems Alton had with Air and the Thorpe engineers do not want the hassle of one.

Floorless/Sit-Downs are just too similar to Colossus in the eyes of the GP... Even if it's on another side of the park it'd still be the "one with the big loops".

Stand-up, I'd probably throw myself off the entrance bridge.

Dive Machine, would be more likely, but due to the area unlikely for it to have an underground drop.

Guess we'll find out for sure soon enough, but odds are favourable towards a wing-walker.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
UC said:
You're all ridiculous, seriously. Can we at least keep the topic on the ground for three pages before you guys go all starry-eyed fanboy?
Absolutely not! Dis is forpe we'rr etakin' about init!

Seriously though, I feel that UK punters who enjoy a big coaster have been STARVED for a few years as the concentration as been firmly set on the family market. Ok, so there's to to say that this isn't going to be a piddly, disappointing B&M "family" coaster, but it's very unlikely.

I'm happy to have it confirmed. You know me, I won't keep posting or speculating until I know the facts, but that doesn't stop me being all the more excited over it. Haha, chances are it'll be a 1.2m height limit, 10ft coaster now.

peep

CF Legend
UC said:
The first wing-walker hasn't even been opened yet, and you guys think Thorpe just bought one?

You're all ridiculous, seriously. Can we at least keep the topic on the ground for three pages before you guys go all starry-eyed fanboy?

Considering in an interview somewhere it was mentioned that Thorpe's next B&M coaster being of the same new type as what one of the other Merlin parks was getting this year, I think it's pretty certain it's a wingwalker (or whatever you want to call the new coaster at Gardaland). I could try and track down this quote but I'm lazy. Then again, what was said in the interview could be totally wrong and decisions could have changed since then.

Nic

Strata Poster
dictionary.com said:
unique (juːˈniːk)

— adj
1. being the only one of a particular type; single; sole
2. without equal or like; unparalleled

Thorpe Park said:
unique (juːˈniːk)

— adj
Identical to something Gardaland have already got

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
UC said:
The first wing-walker hasn't even been opened yet, and you guys think Thorpe just bought one?

Is it really that un-heard of though. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Flight Deck opened a year after the Batman ride, and I'd have thought they ordered the coaster before the Batman ride was built. It's the same time-scale as this.

http://www.rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&ml=6717&page=1&order=10

The floorless coasters seem to be the same, with both Bizarro and Superman Krypton Coaster opening in consecutive years:

http://www.rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&ml=6713&page=1&order=10

(I know that might be a little different as they're both SF parks...)

And the same is also true for the flyers, with Air opening only a year before Superman:

http://www.rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&ml=6805&page=1&order=10

So would it really be that unlikely that a new concept had two installations in two consecutive years? They presumably must have ordered then in advance enough so that the first one wasn't opened yet?

Mike

Giga Poster
UC said:

What's the point in coming into a topic that's pretty much going to be all guessing and speculation and ripping on people who are speculating that it could be a certain type of ride?

How the **** do you know that it's NOT going to be a Wing Walker/whatever? So what if the first one hasn't opened yet? What's your point?

IF you have got it on such "good authority" that it's not going to be Wing Walker, then what do you think it's going to be?

Finally, if you are going to reply to this, please keep your response down to a couple of quick/simple paragraphs, as I really can't be arsed to read any of your longer posts.

Edit: Darn for being a pretty slow typer, but still...

--------------------------------------------------
Anywho, I've really got no idea what this could be and I'm actually quite surprised that it's going to be a B&M.
I'ld love to see a Flying Coaster with a similar drop height to Tatsu, but I just don't think it's going to happen. Otherwise, I'm really at a loss of what it could be.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^^Right, yeah, I see what you're saying. I was just pointing out that it seemed to me like models had been ordered in the past before the prototype was completely tested.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
Whilst it's good to know Thorpe are planning on building another "thrill" coaster, I can't muster much enthusiasm at this stage. Look at the concept art we've seen previously and the rides Merlin have been building in recent years. Big gimmicks that they can market to the clueless masses, crap layouts that don't live up to the potential of the ride.

I suspect this will be the same old story. They've got the space, height and budget to build something great, but I doubt they will. They'll do what they always do - the minimum they need to in order to make their gimmick marketable, then run another over the top marketing campaign in order to get more people through the gates to ride it. In the meantime, those of us who want new rides that actually try to provide a good experience need to be looking outside the UK.

It sucks. It really does.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I love the way everyone ignored Nic's post :roll:

They use the word UNIQUE

So it's either something the world hasn't seen, or Europe, or the UK.

So that's Invert, Flyer and Dive Machine, 131 ft it's not a hyper so all out of the question 100%.

Everything else by B&M (including things we've not seen) are still possible.

So, Floorless, Stand up, Wing Walker or something new.

See, we're already narrowed down to four.

Of course, they won't be able to build it because that area of the park is haunted!!!

Ben

CF Legend
^We've got a Stand Up in this country remember sweetie! Not a B&M obviously, but, still a work of art <3

It's so obviously between the new Wing Walker THING, the 4D version of that which has been talked about, or something else entirely.

I'm going with the obvious it's going to stick over the edge of the track and do something approach. B&M are reliable, they built the ONLY coaster at Thorpe that actually WORKS and has always worked, Raptor hasn't had any trouble yet, so, yes, I think it's safe to say they WOULD order another one.

They'd obviously ordered Stealth when Rita was still being built, didn't STOP them then did it?

Mike

Giga Poster
Oh, look, it's Mike. Finally have the balls to post again, I see?

Eh?
Sorry if I don't force my opinions down peoples throats in every thread making a million posts a day* like you do, but I've been on this site reading*2 and/or posting almost every day since I joined this forum.

Pull your head out of your arse. Really.

*Hyperbole.
*2 Now, by this I mean reading posts which actually look interesting it topics that I'm interested in. I.E- Very few of your posts.

1+2: At the time I started writing my post, your only contribution to this topic was in the post I quoted. Your only way of "properly backing yourself up" in that post was that "the first wing-walker hasn't even been opened yet", which as a way of backing up that it's definitely not going to be a wing-walker ("You're all ridiculous, seriously.") is a load of tripe.

3: I gathered from the way you've said "You're all ridiculous" and how you called anybody who has suggested anything "starry-eyed fanboy" then you must have known that it's definitely not going to be whatever was suggested. Obviously not.

4: Again, get out of your own arse. Seriously. Who the **** are you to judge whether people should be allowed in a community or not?

I know I may not be the most "liked" member of this website, but at least I don't walk [post] around like I'm "God's gift to the earth" or something.

Again, get your head out of your arse.

I'm out of this topic now. Don't bother replying to this UC. You're not going to change my mind of what I should think of you, and I'm obviously not going to change your mind of what you think of me. [On that standard, I wonder why I'm even bothering to post this, but the hey! :p]

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ben said:
^We've got a Stand Up in this country remember sweetie! Not a B&M obviously, but, still a work of art <3

Yeah, I ummed and ahhhed about the Stand up, but it's not B&M so they could add a dead cat onto the front and claim it as "The world's first road kill collecting stand-up coaster" or something ;)

But yeah, if they're using the word unique, then I think it has to be something significantly different...

Status
Not open for further replies.