What's new

Thorpe Park |"The Swarm"| B&M Wing Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
But wasn't there a press release saying it was a Wing Rider? If not, then why the heck does this topic have wing walker in the title?

- It's gonna be everything Ben and AJ say its gonna be because they are always right. Thats just how CF rolls these days... The coaster industry lays on their shoulders.

Don't be an arse SC. You've been trolling the forums a lot lately.

Always, imo, I don't think B&M will attempt a 4D in the near future. As much as it'll be great, they're main aim lately is providing riders with alot of space and freedom (like the new hyper trains). Taking the seats off the track is just another step in that direction, I don't think it's aiming towards spinning seats.

bob_3_ said:
Always, imo, I don't think B&M will attempt a 4D in the near future. As much as it'll be great, they're main aim lately is providing riders with alot of space and freedom (like the new hyper trains). Taking the seats off the track is just another step in that direction, I don't think it's aiming towards spinning seats.

I could see upgrades happening years out, after they have fixed ALL major and minor issues in the system. I am still convinced if they do introduce rotating seats, it will be an on board system, and like Gavin pointed out earlier, there is always the issue of a possible sensor fail, but if you provide enough fail safes to prevent such a thing, it won't be (as big) of an issue. Once/if this proves to be a B&M concept that they stick with, meaning it hits North America and Asia, then rotating seats may happen, but it will probably be a near new attraction price tag. Raptor would, more than likely, get the first batch due to proximity to HQ, but really this is something 5-10 years out.

Key Facs:
- B&M wingrider
- £20 million (revised upwards fom £18 million)
- 4 inversions
- "flight into post apocalyptic devastation"
- Seats will not spin
- first wingrider in UK, "Unlike anything else in the country"

Edit: 20m GBP is 32 million dollars which could buy you Top Thrill Dragster and Magnum Xl 2000

Coastermaniac94 said:
Edit: 20m GBP is 32 million dollars which could buy you Top Thrill Dragster and Magnum Xl 2000

Not over here, with our economy / inflated prices.

One thing I'm interested in is what the speed of LC12 will be.

Raptor is 55mph at 108ft with a gradual drop, but LC12 has a very steep drop and is 127ft..

Does that mean were looking at 60mph plus?

Just to lay the 4D thing to bed, the inversion at the start points to it not being a 4D. Why have a track inversion to pull the cars over if you could just flip the seats and have a fantastic first drop just like X? It just doesn't make sense. Plus the fac tI think the press release pretty much confirms it's just a Wing Rider...

There was a news item on LC12 when it was released, but it's not been updated with this, because we don't update every tiny little update generally (due to it being a massive chore).

We are looking at doing more regular updates in the new version of CF.

Screaming Coasters said:
Mr. X, just so you know

- It's gonna be everything Ben and AJ say its gonna be because they are always right. Thats just how CF rolls these days... The coaster industry lays on their shoulders.

Um, you do realise he's AGREEING with me, right? Yeah? Just checking that.

2h3trw8.jpg

furie said:
Just to lay the 4D thing to bed, the inversion at the start points to it not being a 4D. Why have a track inversion to pull the cars over if you could just flip the seats and have a fantastic first drop just like X? It just doesn't make sense. Plus the fac tI think the press release pretty much confirms it's just a Wing Rider...

No one was speculating if LC12 will be 4D, it's confirmed as a regular wing rider. The speculation was regarding if B&M are heading towards a 4D design with the wing rider being the first step.

Anyway, LC12 speed estimate anyone? Do you think this will break 60mph?

Yeah, there was then talk of "conversion" and stuff, and it's just not happening... :lol:

furie said:
Yeah, there was then talk of "conversion" and stuff, and it's just not happening... :lol:

You don't know that, neither do I or anyone else unless they work for B&M.

I don't think B&M will retrofit their wing riders, but I wouldn't rule out the the possibility of them developing a 4D coaster based on the wing rider.

Coaster-Fiend said:
You don't know that, neither do I or anyone else unless they work for B&M.

You can tell by:

a) The track
b) The layout.

I'm never going to say "never", but it's got to be 99.99% against, or so close to "not happening" it's not worth even giving it two seconds of thought :)

Yes, there's a chance they may look at 4D on this, but I really don't know?

Intamin (by far the most active "large" coaster manufacturer) hasn't expanded the Baco Wing Walker trains to 4D. That either means that the system is:

a) too expensive and complex for the potential custom
b) too close to the S&S patent for them to get away with without lots of expense and complexity.
c) Unlikely to sell in decent enough quantities.

S&S have 2 of these kinds of coasters, they're not looking at selling huge quantities. Intamin have the smaller versions which sell well, but they're cheap and cheerful models. Intamin undoubtedly have a big head start on B&M in this arena, and still aren't selling a full blown 4D. It all adds up to looking like something that isn't really on the cards.

There's certainly a chance, but it doesn't look like a massive chance to me...

I think the fact that B&M are now making wing riders makes it look like there is more of a chance of them heading towards a 4D concept than there was before Raptor's plans were unveiled.

I think it shows that they're still looking at new concepts and developing their portfolio; which is always a good thing. I don't think it really points towards anything else though other than "they will do things that will sell". As we're not involved in the industry to a high enough degree, I don't think any of us really know what that is, hence why we're so in the dark all of the time :lol:

on the subject of 4d coasters intamin nor B&M will make a 4d in my opnion due to the complexity and reliability issues. Lc12 is not 4d and I doubt it ever will be, At 2013 SW7 will not be a 4d as its meant to be a worlds first as 4d has already been done by Arrows and S&S

Status
Not open for further replies.