What's new

Thorpe Park |"The Swarm"| B&M Wing Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coaster-Fiend said:
Surely it's only a matter of time until they add the extra points of articulation to make em 4D trains. Once they have installed a few of this type... It would be something if Alton got the first 4D B&M coaster.

It's not as simple as just letting the seats spin though. The Intamin Zacspin things can do that because they're only travelling in a back and forth direction. You could never do that with a "proper" layout as it makes the whole thing too unpredictable.

The Arrow/S&S versions use a whole extra rail to control the rotation of the seats.

If B&M are going in that direction (and to be honest, I'm not sure why we're all assuming this as an inevitability anyway), then they'd have to have a completely different track and train design to the ones we're seeing on Raptor and LC12. It's not a case of just letting the seats spin.

gavin said:
Coaster-Fiend said:
Surely it's only a matter of time until they add the extra points of articulation to make em 4D trains. Once they have installed a few of this type... It would be something if Alton got the first 4D B&M coaster.

It's not as simple as just letting the seats spin though. The Intamin Zacspin things can do that because they're only travelling in a back and forth direction. You could never do that with a "proper" layout as it makes the whole thing too unpredictable.

The Arrow/S&S versions use a whole extra rail to control the rotation of the seats.

If B&M are going in that direction (and to be honest, I'm not sure why we're all assuming this as an inevitability anyway), then they'd have to have a completely different track and train design to the ones we're seeing on Raptor and LC12. It's not a case of just letting the seats spin.
we havent seen the train design of lc12

^They'll be the same as Raptor, but with different theme and colour. And we HAVE seen the track layout.

gavin said:
If B&M are going in that direction (and to be honest, I'm not sure why we're all assuming this as an inevitability anyway), then they'd have to have a completely different track and train design to the ones we're seeing on Raptor and LC12.
I'm not so sure about that, they could use an electrical system to spin the ride, and then use sensors on the track to define what the motors should do. The problem though is that the train would be heavier but the system would be more flexible than the Arrow/S&S way...

gavin said:
^They'll be the same as Raptor, but with different theme and colour. And we HAVE seen the track layout.
we assume they will be the same but they might not be its not confirmed although I am 95% its not 4d due to what you said

^^But the rail is more of a failsafe system; the seats will always face the exact direction they're supposed to every time. A mid-ride failure of any electric motor system could be disastrous.

That might be true. But then again, depending on the motors used, they may end up with a Zac-spin if the power failed, and that would be pretty awesome in a way :)

loefet said:
That might be true. But then again, depending on the motors used, they may end up with a Zac-spin if the power failed, and that would be pretty awesome in a way :)
its not going to be a 4d so why deabte it lol

^It's kind of gone slightly off topic as to what B&M may or may not do in the future.

Whatever it is, if it EVER even happens, it's NOT happening for LC12.

^^ Because there are rumours that Raptor is a B&M test to see how well the seat position would work and that they could have a track to test a 4D car on (especially since Gardaland is close to the B&M facility). And going 4D is definitely the next step in terms of evolution of the concept (hence the discussion about how to turn the seats). The same rumours even pointed that they would be able to retrofit 4D trains on to Raptor.
The same rumours even pointed that the model for Thorpe would be the first to receive such trains but now it seems like Alton would be the first to get them.

Aye, if B&M ARE heading towards 4D (seems like we've been talking about that for a while) Raptor could possibly be fitted with new 4D trains in the future, similar to how Shiekra was given floorless trains from 2007 onwards when Griffon got them... who knows.

On the other hand, B&M might never make a 4D coaster because they consider them too troublesome, too difficult to keep smooth. It's funny because B&M are usually the innovators but with the flyers, theirs came after Vekoma's Flying Dutchman and as expected put the Vekoma model to shame.

Now with B&M's Wingwalker following Intamin's you'd expect their interpretation to be vastly smoother and more comfortable. That's the cool thing about the company, they won't create something for a park unless it's gonna be perfect. So if they do eventually make a 4D coaster you know it will be the dogs danglies.

But I don't really care too much about that either way right now.
Thorpe's getting a new B&M which is big and fast for UK standards and there's a great chance Alton will be getting one in 2013. Great times ahead if you love Thorpe or Alton.

loefet said:
^^ Because there are rumours that Raptor is a B&M test to see how well the seat position would work and that they could have a track to test a 4D car on (especially since Gardaland is close to the B&M facility). And going 4D is definitely the next step in terms of evolution of the concept (hence the discussion about how to turn the seats). The same rumours even pointed that they would be able to retrofit 4D trains on to Raptor.
The same rumours even pointed that the model for Thorpe would be the first to receive such trains but now it seems like Alton would be the first to get them.
I see your point but I dont know about you but I am pretty sure lc12 is not a 4d hence the track and design of it. Also there is the problem of reliability and dont even get me started on X2 and the reliability of that. It wont work for lc12 but yes AT could get one

I say this is all a trick. LC12 = Looping Coaster 12. In other words, two more barrel rolls on Colossus!

In all seriousness though, the more I think about it, the less likely I think it is for B&M to do a fourth dimension coaster. They seem to me like they kind of play it safe nowadays and don't really innovate much. Then again, the wing rider design kind of says maybe they're trying something new for them for a change.

Mr. X said:
I say this is all a trick. LC12 = Looping Coaster 12. In other words, two more barrel rolls on Colossus!

In all seriousness though, the more I think about it, the less likely I think it is for B&M to do a fourth dimension coaster. They seem to me like they kind of play it safe nowadays and don't really innovate much. Then again, the wing rider design kind of says maybe they're trying something new for them for a change.
Intamin is where innovation lies but quality lies with B&M( Intamin has some good coasters no denying that)

Edt:THORPE PARK confirms LC12 has been approved and some tasty info that confirms the debate of the spinning seats http://www.thorpeparkmania.co.uk/news/0 ... s-Approved

Nothing really new, besides a price tag, and announcement in May. 20 million Euro, that's a pretty real number.

I don't know why this was ever a debate to begin with. I thought everybody knew it was going to be a wing rider anyways.

Mr. X, just so you know

- It's gonna be everything Ben and AJ say its gonna be because they are always right. Thats just how CF rolls these days... The coaster industry lays on their shoulders.

Status
Not open for further replies.