What's new

Thorpe Park |"The Swarm"| B&M Wing Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
As fake as her boobs?
Or her auto-tuned voice? :)

On topic: I am really looking forward to this coaster, I love PR stunts, look at what Morwenna did for Towers last year, nearly 3 million visitors. (what we was told as staff, not sure how accurate that was)

I knows its not totally related to LC12 but...

No sooner had I made quips about name changes etc. I wonder whether this weekends opening of Storm Surge will go ahead...

Yeah of course it will. I would have thought that they are more likely to change Tidal waves name than Storm Surge's as that is much more relevant and "offensive" to anyone that wants to have a moan.

I think there was a case of a ride called Tsunami being renamed after the 2004 disaster, but I don't see the point in changing the name or delaying the opening at Thorpe.

Do you think the parks get anxious and irritated waiting to get the result of the planning application?

It seems like forever ago (even though it wasn't) the plans were submitted. Wish they would decide already...

Mark said:
Do you think the parks get anxious and irritated waiting to get the result of the planning application?

It seems like forever ago (even though it wasn't) the plans were submitted. Wish they would decide already...

Do they give a date etc. of when they think it will be decided by or do they just let them know when they've made a decision?

^From what I know about what my mum does (she sits a a clerk to the Parish Council, so gets to see quite a bit of planning permission stuff), the meetings are public. The dates of the meetings are announced and people are free to go and give their opinions. Because of this, it must be published, or known, which date certain applications are being reviewed. So yes, I'd have thought Thorpe have a pretty good idea of when they're likely to hear back.

Having said that, a project as big as this probably goes through several meetings. Some technical, some more open for residents etc. So it must take a lot longer.

Hope that made some sense... :?

tks said:
I think there was a case of a ride called Tsunami being renamed after the 2004 disaster, but I don't see the point in changing the name or delaying the opening at Thorpe.

Yes, that was a coaster in New Jersey that was named Tsunami and got changed to Hellcat.

That same ride has also been Puma, J2 and a couple others, IIRC.

planning permission has been reccomended granted by case officer. It will reported to 30th March committee and nothing has been changed, sounds all good to me :D

I just came over here to check out the news forum for the first time since about Jan, imagine my delight to discover Thorpe's 2012 coaster is now 'under construction' and it's being made by my fav coaster manufacturer!

Awesome news indeed.

I have a few questions-

1) Are Alton definitely getting a coaster in 2013?
Thirteen was such a let down. It really sucks monkey balls, even as a family ride.

2) If so, is it likely to also be B&M? A Thrill ride? And beyond that do you guys think it possible that Merlin might go for the same coaster type again?

2) That RCT3 POV of Thorpe's 2012 coaster a few pages back, is that accurate?

4) LC12 is just the code name right?

5) What's 38 meters in feet?

Coaster-Fiend said:
I just came over here to check out the news forum for the first time since about Jan, imagine my delight to discover Thorpe's 2012 coaster is now 'under construction' and it's being made by my fav coaster manufacturer!

Awesome news indeed.

I have a few questions-

1) Are Alton definitely getting a coaster in 2013?
Thirteen was such a let down. It really sucks monkey balls, even as a family ride.

2) If so, is it likely to also be B&M? A Thrill ride? And beyond that do you guys think it possible that Merlin might go for the same coaster type again?

2) That RCT3 POV of Thorpe's 2012 coaster a few pages back, is that accurate?

4) LC12 is just the code name right?

5) What's 38 meters in feet?
1) Yes. See the News & Rumours forum.

2) We don't know. But Merlin seem to be favouring B&M heavily recently, with Krake, Raptor and LC12. It will definitely be a thrill ride, with Morwenna confirming it'll be a 1.4 metre height restriction thrill coaster. Very likely the same type, as Merlin/Tussauds have done before with Fury/Spinball, Nemesis/Inferno, Stealth/Rita, Oblivion/Krake, and Raptor/LC12.

3) It'll be based on the planning application plans, so pretty accurate.

4) Almost certainly. SAW's codename was "Project Dylan" named after Candy Holland's cat.

5) http://lmgtfy.com/?q=38+metres+in+feet

Coaster-Fiend said:
Cheers STC!

One final question- RCDB says LC12 is 5 inversions, wiki says 3..

Which is it?
Not sure why RCDB says 5, as this plan seems to imply only 3. Usually RCDB is the gospel though, so maybe I'm missing something!

In the very small possibility that it will have spinning seats, it will be much more obviously.

Coaster-Fiend said:
Cheers STC!

One final question- RCDB says LC12 is 5 inversions, wiki says 3..

Which is it?
Its got 4 inversions: drop, zero g roll, flat spin and inline twist along with a nearly upside down inclined helix

STC said:
Coaster-Fiend said:
Based on that, I think the first element from the lift-hill is genius design. It'll look visually stunning with those Wingrider trains elegantly rolling over in a kind of wave effect.

Apart from that I think that unless this is 4D, it looks very boring and bland to ride.

I agree the upside down first drop looks amazing.

But I think what might set this ride apart is the interaction with the theming. Inc the swooping over the water.

The B&M wingwalker trains soooo cool.
Way slicker than the Intamin ones.

Surely it's only a matter of time until they add the extra points of articulation to make em 4D trains. Once they have installed a few of this type... It would be something if Alton got the first 4D B&M coaster.

I'd imagine the speed of this will make it that little bit more exciting. 130ft remember, thats like a strata coaster for us British!

Status
Not open for further replies.