What's new

NEMESIS: SUB-TERRA [Alton 2012]

Re: New Indoor Ride for Alton in 2012

Surely there's nothing to say you couldn't make the cycle shorter than though?

I don't see any reason why it would HAVE to be 60 seconds on each side if that's not what you wanted.

Seems a weird way to tell a story though, because there's going to be four sets of scenes, but, each side is going to see the scenes in a different order? So it has to make sense seeing them in any order... So how do they structure a story? It'd be cool if you could like, present a beast, spin, show it being spiteful, spin, show some hero spiting it, spin, happy times, or something, but, you couldn't have some riders starting at the happy times and ending at the beast!

That's what concerns me because it suggests they're just for generic scenes. Which is fine, but, I was hoping we were gonna be getting our story on on this bad boy.

^Wouldn't one side be for loading? So it would simply cycle through in order? It's not like they'd be loading on every side or something.

And the 60 seconds or so would be for loading? I'd assume that it continuously cycles instead of loading the whole gondola at once.

So for me, this idea looks great. It could end up being a very unique ride.

Ben said:
Surely there's nothing to say you couldn't make the cycle shorter than though?

I don't see any reason why it would HAVE to be 60 seconds on each side if that's not what you wanted.

Seems a weird way to tell a story though, because there's going to be four sets of scenes, but, each side is going to see the scenes in a different order? So it has to make sense seeing them in any order... So how do they structure a story? It'd be cool if you could like, present a beast, spin, show it being spiteful, spin, show some hero spiting it, spin, happy times, or something, but, you couldn't have some riders starting at the happy times and ending at the beast!

That's what concerns me because it suggests they're just for generic scenes. Which is fine, but, I was hoping we were gonna be getting our story on on this bad boy.
I thought the system worked differently that than. I'm thinking start facing the entrance, load the guests. Move up one floor and view the first scene. Rotate the tower and move up again, to look at the next scene, rotate the tower and move up a final time to view the last scene followed by the drop. Then guests get off and exit. If loading, unloading and viewing the scene all took roughly the same time then you'd get one time period loading, one time period looking at scene one, two time periods on scene two, one period looking at scene three and falling and one time period to disembark.

That would be my guess anyway.

Oh, OK, I read the plans wrong then.

Still. That seems a bit immersion breaking to me, being able to see it all going on behind you whilst you board. And any problems with boarding and you're going to be sat there for ages looking at the same thing when nothing's going on. I don't... It's better than the idea of an Extremis though. I might just be being pessimistic, but, it just sounds like a low budget Pandora's Box(x) to me...

And 620-700pph is crap, thinking that Hex eats through probably double that.

Ben said:
Oh, OK, I read the plans wrong then.

Still. That seems a bit immersion breaking to me, being able to see it all going on behind you whilst you board. And any problems with boarding and you're going to be sat there for ages looking at the same thing when nothing's going on. I don't... It's better than the idea of an Extremis though. I might just be being pessimistic, but, it just sounds like a low budget Pandora's Box(x) to me...
Yeah, that's the slight flaw in the plan. Unless it's somehow shielded you'd be able to see everything and like you said, any technical fault will ruin the timing, but then again, that's true of a lot of multi-car effects rides (hell, even Thirteen's drop has to time up right otherwise you just end up sat there for ages). Don't know exactly how it'd work.

Haha, remember that last year (or was that the year before that?), there was a rumour that TusenFryd was to get one of these. It even said so in ABC's catalogue. There were no pics then, but that drawing suits the descriptions perfectly.

^I thought Th13teen only had three trains, so there's enough room on the EXCESSIVE brake run for them all, so you shouldn't be stopped there having to wait, unless something goes wrong with the switch-track, which would be quite rare, as opposed to slow guests, which I assume happens like clockwork. That might be more to do with the tempremental drop thing that seems to like to not work. Oh Intamin.

One way round the immersion breaking loading would be to have the arm sticking through like, a wall, and then you're lifted up, over the wall, before it spins? Can't think of any examples of that but yeah.

Still don't think they need a Drop Tower, but, if this is built more around just being a vertical method for a dark ride (like a Pandora's Box) than the dropping sensation, I'm more on board than the Extremis thing. Guess I'm just a dull traditionalist and I like track <3

-lofty- said:
Az said:
tks said:
What is extremis and what does it do?

It's a small drop tower, about the height of a frog hopper or maybe a little higher, but the difference is that the drop is a true drop, so even though you don't fall very far, it still does feel as thrilling as a full size drop would right at the top.

It's not themed great at the dungeons (they could have done it better I think) but if it is themed right it could easily form the backbone of a great ride

Try the one at Edinburgh then ;)

It's not just a drop though, it's actually a forced drop, same as the way that Det drops. There's videos and such online.

It's actually not pushed or pulled. It's just gravity. I guess in a small dark room, everyone just experiences a more intense drop, that's why lots of people claim it's pushed. Alton will make sure their ride is not "just another Extremis" though, so expect at least something different.

Yeah, speaking with someone from the park, who I trust, I'm actually a lot more excited to the idea of this coaster. From what they've said, it will actually be pretty enjoyable.

Same here. Before I just thought it would be good but I wasn't that excited about it but now I know I can't wait. Like Joey said I know people here will be pleasantly surprised. :)

Also don't know if it's been mentioned but they have flashing lights and sound effects like "Warning. Contaminated area, please leave immediately" etc. They also have some actors in yellow overalls walking round the area scanning people as they go past.

Yeah, I'm really excited now I know what it is too.

Gonna be amazing.

*sticks middle finger up at the plebs that don't know... probably because they're too busy having sex or going out to give a *****

^This

I've never understood that "I know something you don't" mentality of posting. The only thing it ever does is make the person doing it look like a massive douche.

I can wait to find out in all honesty. I'll continue to check in the topic every few days if I can be arsed and will find out then. Who cares?

gavin said:
The only thing it ever does is make the person doing it look like a massive douche

There's only so many french showers to go around.

The marketing for this sounds very similar to what Gardaland done with Raptor:

Alton Towers has set up flashing lights and radiation warnings all along the Nemesis – What Lies Benehath construction barrier, as seen in the video clip below from our friends at AirgatesUK. They also report that the park has people walking the immediate area in radiation suits as they build up the story behind the new 2012 attraction.

^They've been doing it a lot longer than that.

Showing my age here, but it was very similar with Oblivion. Sure, it wasn't Merlin back then, but they're definitely reusing some older ideas.

That's not a complaint by the way; I think it's a really effective way of drumming up interest.

October's edition of Parkworld, (click here) has a bit about ABC rides beginning work on four free fall towers, as part of a wider dark ride concept. Go to page 7, it's on the right hand side column. Would that rule out the new four armed/sided single tower concept?

Danzibarr said:
October's edition of Parkworld, (click here) has a bit about ABC rides beginning work on four free fall towers, as part of a wider dark ride concept. Go to page 7, it's on the right hand side column. Would that rule out the new four armed/sided single tower concept?

Um, no? "SIMILAR to the rides". It says. Not, "The same as..."

14nn0d0.jpg

A tank has appeared... (As spotted by TTF)

^APC! Armoured Personel Carrier, or Infantry Fighting Vehicle! It has a 12.7 mm machine gun (looks too small to be a 20-mm which is the closest bigger NATO standard ammo), which is far too small of a main weapon for it to be a battle tank. [/rant]
(Sorry, couldn't resist being sarcastic and mocking for the sake of mocking. Please don't take the debate further).

Anyway, this looks good with regards to themeing. Apparently no haunted castles or curses or female racer drivers or anything like that. Straightforward and modern. Sounds promising to me!

EDIT: quoting Nemesis Inferno's post so the info gets to the top of the page instead of the bottom of the previous one:
Nemesis Inferno said:
14nn0d0.jpg

A tank has appeared... (As spotted by TTF)

This all seems quite similar to THE SWARM in my eyes... war with aliens and that.