What's new

NEMESIS: SUB-TERRA [Alton 2012]

Re: New Indoor Ride for Alton in 2012

I don't mind admitting that clicking onto the microsite and hearing the proper Nemesis music got me all excited. That coupled with the archive footage from the original launch video. Big grins here right now.

Lets hope that one of the things they are utilising, and its a strong possibility, is the original storytelling section of the soundtrack with narration by Tom Baker. Perhaps, given the type and the style of the new attraction it will lend itself further to telling this story a bit further.

Mark said:
I don't mind admitting that clicking onto the microsite and hearing the proper Nemesis music got me all excited. That coupled with the archive footage from the original launch video. Big grins here right now.

Lets hope that one of the things they are utilising, and its a strong possibility, is the original storytelling section of the soundtrack with narration by Tom Baker. Perhaps, given the type and the style of the new attraction it will lend itself further to telling this story a bit further.
Exactly what I thought, gave me chills up and down my spine. I am so so glad they are bringing back the story, it was needed as the point of the ride was being lost in some way by the public. In all honesty this ride is a good move by Alton, bringing back the story of their most famous and (by most polls, even their own) best ride. Good for them. Just now get rid of that random Nemesis they keep shouting in the station. Never happy haha!

Well, we don't know 100% that they ARE bringing back the story. It was merely hopeful conjecture on my part, considering the use of the original music and the 1994 launch video. So I would hold fire on the big celebrations at this stage in the game and remain optimisitc...

Nemesis Inferno said:
dQA6A.jpg

Nemesis themed Drop Tower?

Also means Kim is right as well... Who knew...

*snap snap, head bop*

Mark said:

Apparently, Tom Baker did the recent Alton Towers Greats narration? I dunno how true that is, just something I'm sure I read somewhere.

If so, maybe he'll do any new material for this?

tks said:
What is extremis and what does it do?

It's a small drop tower, about the height of a frog hopper or maybe a little higher, but the difference is that the drop is a true drop, so even though you don't fall very far, it still does feel as thrilling as a full size drop would right at the top.

It's not themed great at the dungeons (they could have done it better I think) but if it is themed right it could easily form the backbone of a great ride

Az said:
tks said:
What is extremis and what does it do?

It's a small drop tower, about the height of a frog hopper or maybe a little higher, but the difference is that the drop is a true drop, so even though you don't fall very far, it still does feel as thrilling as a full size drop would right at the top.

It's not themed great at the dungeons (they could have done it better I think) but if it is themed right it could easily form the backbone of a great ride

Try the one at Edinburgh then ;)

It's not just a drop though, it's actually a forced drop, same as the way that Det drops. There's videos and such online.

Someone told me it has a push and a pulling force. Is that true?
It is definitely the most 'forceful' drop tower I've been on...for it's size anyway

Mysterious Sue said:
Someone told me it has a push and a pulling force. Is that true?
It is definitely the most 'forceful' drop tower I've been on...for it's size anyway

I don't think so? Just push from what I've seen/been told by people who work at The Dungeons.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tNBhoI6FjE[/youtube]

That's one of the best videos to see the ride in action.

Joey said:
Apparently, Tom Baker did the recent Alton Towers Greats narration? I dunno how true that is, just something I'm sure I read somewhere.

If so, maybe he'll do any new material for this?

He did indeed do the advert narrations... So he's on good terms with Towers (one hopes)...

If he did the ride announcements, I would be one happy enthusiast...

Found this on TowersTimes...

TowersTimes has today received news from TowersTimes Forum member Stu that groundwork has begun on the site of the 2012 attraction for the Alton Towers Resort.

Currently the Lava Lump, which previously stood at the top of Forbidden Valley near The Edge arcade, has been removed signalling the start of preparations for the new attraction.

The signage currently displayed around the old Lava Lump site explains that the area is undergoing essential maintenance but it is understood that this is the first stage of groundwork for the new attraction.

Although planning permission has not yet been granted for the new attraction Alton Towers might be able to start small-scale construction similar to what they did with Thirteen back in 2009.

TowersTimes will be bringing you the latest news for the ATR2012 project through our forums, our Twitter and our Facebook. Or feel free to discuss what you think about the new attraction

And a picture: (follow link)

http://old.towerstimes.co.uk/news/news. ... =&ucat=1,8

The construction time frame for this must be tight if they are starting before permission has been granted, but I'm sure they've been advised it's likely to go through.

What do we expect will occur at February half term then? I'm wondering if Forbidden Valley will be open at all if they're still building it?

Tom G said:
The construction time frame for this must be tight if they are starting before permission has been granted, but I'm sure they've been advised it's likely to go through.

What do we expect will occur at February half term then? I'm wondering if Forbidden Valley will be open at all if they're still building it?
i would think that it would be mainly because they have 3 main rides there (king nemesis :lol: , air and ripsaw

Can't see why FV wouldn't be open in Feb should they do Half Term openings... It's only a small(ish) area that can be easily cut off from the rest of it... And naturally, all heavy duty work will occur in closed season...

It might seem tight, but that's what Gantt Charts are for... Parks do know what they're doing in timescales...

^Plus, if it is basically a highly themed bunch of very small drop towers, a lot of the work could be done off site.

The machinery won't need a great deal of time to install, and the themeing can be done largely elsewhere while the building is going up. This really won't need anywhere near as much prep work and time on-site as say, a large new coaster.

^For a big company that document seems quite like a graphics project from a A-Level student. It's not bad, but it doesn't look very... professional.

It does look quite interesting though! If they get the scenes/theming right then this could be good.

^^I saw that a while ago and wondered if it's what Alton Could be getting. The troughput would be terrible though. Especially if it lasts 4 minutes.

^The throughput would be terrible you say? Did you read the theorectical throughput? Getting 600-720 would be impressive for a flat ride... And the continuous moving system could assist with this a lot, especially if we're gonna have two pre-show rooms...