What's new

Weird, Wacky & Strange Coaster Bits

Xpress

Strata Poster
I thought that the Incredible Hulks banked brakes were odd. I know it doesn't seem odd, considering what Swarzkopf does with their brakes, but for B&M....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y95qHqPU23Y

1:05 if you don't want to ride. The right catwalk is visibly higher than the left.

Martyn B said:
Hmmm....

strasswalchen_03.jpg

The ****...??

Jer

Strata Poster
East Coast(er) General said:
What coaster is that?

one of these http://www.rcdb.com/2775.htm?p=0

****ing Pax they really mess up their rides.

I always though the supports on Nitro going into the first turn were always really weird looking.

p1405.jpg

it's not very noticeable at that angle, but they're very shallow and wide in the A shape. It looks weird almost like the supports a newcomer in No Limits would make.

Xpress

Strata Poster
I also think that the way B&M did the banking on Nitro's drop is odd, comparing to how they do it now on their drops

Jer

Strata Poster
great timing to post these

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmZ8jDCVIwc&feature=channel[/youtube]

Fast forward to 1:12 and 2:00 so see what I mean.

Xpress

Strata Poster
Jer said:
great timing to post these

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmZ8jDCVIwc&feature=channel[/youtube]

Fast forward to 1:12 and 2:00 so see what I mean.

My guess is that there is something underneath the surface of the ground that they couldn't erect pillars into, like loose soil, or gas pipelines or something.

Xpress

Strata Poster
To me it seems like they could have done it less expensive by supporting it the way they do it now, but perhaps it was a combination of early B&M and such?

maccat215

Roller Poster
421878656_147242ec01_o.jpg

well erm......
This is called the SkyCycle at Washuzan Highland Park at Okayama. Just the fact that well, here you actually have to make the effort of cycling to get your ride

421878657_b3ad5760bb_o.jpg

and it even has a drop in it :lol:

Xpress

Strata Poster
I also find anything with the term "JET COASTER" in the title to be almost comical.

Also, how about Moonsault Scrambles lift hill?

p17441.jpg

UC said:
What do you mean "the way they do it now?"

It just seems to me like they've improved their methods of supporting, by using the same materials, but in stronger ways, and such. I don't think you would see B&M duplicate that section of supports on any modern ride (but that's not to say that they wouldn't do it..).

Like how Intamin started using square tube supports for rides.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I think what Xpress means is they could have used just shorter tubes instead of the shallow A-frames. Either way, they're built that way for a reason.

In response to Moonsault Scramble, how about Moonsault Scramble in general. The crossover batwing is pretty crazy. I heard it pulled 6g's at the bottom.

Xpress

Strata Poster
^I guess you could say that too, but for some reason, the crossover batwing doesn't seem odd to me :?

6G is intense. I bet it only spiked for a second.

SnooSnoo said:
B&M has only made one change.. the connection from support to track. That's it. ;)
What about the change in hyper trains? ;)

Gazza

Giga Poster
Those particular supports on Nitro have always struck me as weird too...surley having them at an an angle shallower than 45 degrees becomes inefficient since they become wider than they are high, and you'd get eccentric loads on footers rather than just nice vertical loads.

Xpress

Strata Poster
Actually, to me, it doesn't even look like there's combined supports there. Something is going on beneath the ground that prevented them from going with a traditional A frame, but instead, a hyper-extended A-frame. Some of them share the same base, but for the most part, there's a stretch of land that has no supports on it, and it extends to the other side of the tree-line in this image:

nitro1.png

maccat215

Roller Poster
UC said:
You're aware the white track on the left with the drop and hill is for a completely different ride, right?

Rides like these don't have hills because if someone was to become too tired to pedal, you'd have a massive backup of vehicles.

Ahh gees.... im not very good at spotting things out, i tend to see a picture and decide what it is in the first 3 seconds, i dont look much. Thanks for that one.

Dave

CF Legend
The weird section of track on Goliath at SFMM is always odd. Where it didn't line up and they had to fill it with a tiny bit of track.

Screenshot2010-11-01at173543.jpg