What's new

Weird, Wacky & Strange Coaster Bits

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Ever noticed something out of the ordinary about a coaster? Whether it's a part of a train, track, support, queue, station or some other bit of uniqueness - this is the place to post it for others to see & discuss.
I'll start it off with one of my favorite all-time supports found on Great Bear at Hersheypark. I've never seen one like it on any other coaster.
GreatBearSupport.jpg

jayjay

Giga Poster
^It's because they weren't allowed to built anything in the lake, but the coaster layout went over it partially, so they had to get creative.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Goudurix's spine when the track is vertical in the butterfly:

p24723.jpg

It looks very strange to me.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Man, there are lots of examples of Arrow doing weird things.

When I read the first post in this thread I immediately thought of the section right after Anaconda's MCBR at Kings Dominion.

p160137-Richmond-The_Anaconda.jpg

p161.jpg

What exactly was Mr. Toomer going for here? These two 'rings' (for lack of a better word) aren't exactly helices and they combine poor heartlining with an awkward semi-drop in between. Combined with the fact that the MCBR pretty much brings the train to a dead stop, the element is altogether pretty forceless and pointless. The ride is effectively over after the sidewinder, which is a real shame because the drop under the water and the first two elements probably make one of the best Arrow looper beginnings. :?

TarkaTrax

Mega Poster
The zenith of Arrow's bonkers design teamed with their horrible attempts at heartlining is the legendary Drachen Fire:

p208.jpg

p628.jpg

The second corkscrew shown was removed it was so badly done. Saying that, I'd LOVE to have ridden it just for the mad layout.

Ollie

CF Legend
The Cobra roll on Cobra at Tivoli Friheden is completely insane and oddly shaped. In fact, the whole ride is.

RCF

Strata Poster
CMonster said:
Most of Hydra at Dorney. Barrel roll out of the station, weird inversions, ect.

Especially the heavily banked cobra roll. I find it quite weird.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Annoyingly, this pic doesn't show it off that well:

p17415.jpg

But them helix' are pretty messed up!

Edit, here's some better pics:

spaceworld_16_207.jpg

spaceworld05.jpg

And oddly the front of the train reminds me of a kitten...

spaceworld04.jpg

Martyn B

CF Legend
So basically this is just an Arrow topic :p

Just to change that theme, here's some more unusual supports on Great Bear:
p4846.jpg

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Martyn B said:
...here's some more unusual supports on Great Bear
Read before posting Steven.
I only find the one on the far right unusual, as all these supports should be like the other two since Great Bear is an invert.

Ollie

CF Legend
The tilt and drop sections of track on Winjas. There's no pictures of them that I can find but they come as a massive surprise if you're not expecting them there and I don't know any other coaster in the world that has the same sections that they do. :)