What's new

Thorpe Park |"The Swarm"| B&M Wing Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
My crackpot friends were talking about this today, so I just had to come here and post. Word of mouth has escalated to "Thorpe Park are making a roller coaster themed to the plane crash in Staines!", which just goes to show what a little bit of bad press will do. It's laughable. As I said when I first saw the plans though, I HIGHLY doubt that part of the theming will happen anyways, but not because of it being tasteless, because of the cost and effort it will take to get a full sized plane from a graveyard into the park and broken up on the ground. A vast percentage of aircraft graveyards (of which there are few to speak of in the first place) in the UK are storing planes that are in a condition to be refurbished and resold, ie: they won't be cheap and I can't see TP forking out for a plane that's in flying condition. If they want something cheap they'll probably have to go abroad. And that most probably means America. It's just stupid. I really don't think it will happen.

The only realistic option I can see now is to pay for a flyable plane and get somebody suicidal (not hard to find in Chertsey) to fly it from Heathrow and crash land it in the park. That would surely bring worldwide publicity? Everyone's a winner.

Well in a years time a plane may go into storage in the UK that could easily be spliced and transported to the park. Like this:

5359755623_512c30cf34_z.jpg

I'm pretty sure if they did the plane thing, not many people would see it as tasteless, if that is tasteless, then torture equipment in Saw HAS taste? It's just a bit stupid to think that in my opinion, and I can't imagine it would be overly realistic anyway.

kir said:
The only realistic option I can see now is to pay for a flyable plane and get somebody suicidal (not hard to find in Chertsey) to fly it from Heathrow and crash land it in the park. That would surely bring worldwide publicity? Everyone's a winner.

This, or they could just build a full-scale model.

Also, it may be worth noting that although it is a 'to scale' aeroplane that doesn't necessarily mean it will be a real one...

Essentially all they need to do is create the shell that LOOKS like a real plane.

Of course it has to be a real plane, otherwise the suicidal pilot could not fly it in from Heathrow....

...oh, wait.

I actually can't believe peopel think it's going to be a real plane, looking at the plans, they don't need a full plane anyway.

Of course it has to be a real plane. It would probably actually be cheaper to buy a scrap plane (that's essentially just scrap metal in a funny shape) than use the same/similar materials to build a fake one on the same scale. And it would probably look ****e if it was a model. I wasn't aware that people had enough faith in the project to expect a full scale model (even in part) of a plane. That's a pretty hefty deal. It's not like a model volcano or a few tentacles here and there.

It doesn't really matter either way, I'll still be shocked if it happens. If it does I'll be wet in my pants. Me love planes.

Yeah.......one way or another I think Thorpe has enough commitment to follow through on some kind of plane...they don't just make plans without factoring in cost...

^ It's been done a few times in the industry. Some places plan a lot more theming then they actually put in on the final product. It's a fact...

...Or show in concept art, Thirteen, Stealth, Air and Saw both got our hopes up, they're not bad, but they were s'pose to be a lot better, I use these examples due to the fact they are Merlin/Tussauds rides.

kir said:
Of course it has to be a real plane. It would probably actually be cheaper to buy a scrap plane

Ohhhh, so thats why the RAF has a model Spitfire and not a real one?
The replica looks AMAZING there, just like a real one.

This replica looks good to me:

0850475.jpg

As does this

1049518.jpg

This

1275550.jpg

Could go on...

^Mind you, with an unlimited budget (which those RAF models will have had pretty much), you can make anything look good. :p

I love the fact we're debating this when we're probably not ever going to know, or we won't know until the ride opens or we see something arrive, plus if they use a realistic replica, then how the hell are we going to know if it's real or not haha.

^ It's been done a few times in the industry. Some places plan a lot more theming then they actually put in on the final product. It's a fact...

Stealth and Air yeah, they took out stuff that was in the plans.

But the two most recent, Saw and Thirteen, everything from the plans was made! infact Thirteen added even more! (the tree in front of the station). Yes we shouldn't go overboard and expect to see things that arn't in the plan, but if they are I actually expect they'll build it.

Wouldn't they have to redo the plans anyway if they decide to change things drastically. It's what we saw with Stealth, as they had to re-submit.

And to add to Rich, they were both built in the days of Tussauds. They were a company in dire need of an investor and got by with what they could manage.

The plans have been labelled 'unfortunate' by the British Airline and Pilot Association (BALPA) who say the park should reconsider the theme

Hmmmm, curious:

BALPA - British Airline and Pilot Association
BALPPA - British Association of Leisure Parks, Piers and Attractions

Maybe the pilot guys are just fed up of receiving the wrong mail or something and want to get back at the Theme Park industry!

Status
Not open for further replies.