What's new

Thorpe 2013

Lottie.

Mega Poster
This new near-miss looks great. Hopefully it will add to the ride experience, not overly keen on the graffiti but I guess it does the job. I think the detail gone into the demolished billboard is great.

Can't wait to try it out on Sunday :)

Rachel

Coaster MILF
I don't think these type of billboards are too uncommon in the UK. I think it looks great and the angle at which the track goes through it looks to make it a pretty decent near miss.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Ian said:
However, what concerns me is some people have said Swarm hasn't been popular because it appears to scary (which I've considered ****, Stealth is physically more intimidating). A near miss like this will only make it appear more scary and therefore less appealing?
That isn't the issue.

Whether anyone actually finds Swarm intimidating isn't really the point at all, the point is that the appearance of it tells you that it's TRYING to look scary. It's like, a DVD cover for a horror film might not actually be a terrifying image, but the conventions of horror are telling you "this is a scary film".

So when you get on Swarm, and it's tame, it's like buying a romcom dressed as a horror.

It doesn't do what it says on the tin.

Stealth, on the other hand, has very light hearted and fun theme. It's an intimidating structure, but thematically it tells you it's a big fun joke. So people get off that shocked, which is a positive experience for most of Thorpe's audience.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I think it's great that Thorpe Park realized that they missed the near misses :wink: and have done something about it. Most parks would have left it as is and not bothered to give guests what they had originally promised.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I think it's great that they're adding them, but I'm at a loss as to why they weren't put in in the first place. The best part of Raptor, the first B&M wing coaster and owned by the same company, was the near misses through the tree and watch tower. They clearly knew from the get go how much the near misses would really add to the ride.

I'm cynically thinking that they may have been deliberately left out of Swarm so that they'd have a cheap way of having something to advertise during a year when they're not actually adding anything new.

Martyn B

CF Legend
New park map is out, and it has X:/NWO as just "X"

map-2013.jpg

I'd say that the lack of "new for 2013" by it means that there's probably nothing happening, but there's also a lack of that by The Swarm.

Mark

Strata Poster
Ian said:
Looks good...apart from the "Hell" graffiti. If I'm going to nit-pick (which I am), the story says the town has been mysteriously been taken over, yet somebody (presumably a brain-dead zombie survivor) has managed to spray graffiti on it.

Meh, I love Swarm and near a good keyhole/near miss can only improve the ride.

It total agreement with this.

The whole graffiti thing is a tired cliche and is simply too obvious. It just isn't needed. Had they just left it as Paradise it would actually be a little more ironic and amusing considering the smashed plane only metres away.

The other side with an ad for painkillers that relieve headaches... Fast! Is much better though.

However, I do agree with Jordan. Wtf is a great billboard doing in a sleepy village? Had they made it look like it was dumped there by some 'force' then it would make a bit more sense (much like the entrance sign).

pitchnoir

Mega Poster
Thorpe park update

Hey everyone,
Just a quick heads up, have just seen this image over at TpBlog on fb bit sucky really, due to a rotting roof:
398823_560930370591873_416298387_n.jpg

Dar

Hyper Poster
I think it was because the roof was rotting and H&S condemned it?

Either way it looks ****.

The other side looks better:
image_01_10

Also from TPMania Live

:p

marc

CF Legend
I recon it was due to safety as people kept standing up, but it could have been the same reason as Chessy in that it needed replacing and they just removed it.

I never ride it anyway so does not really bother me. Not a great fan of log flumes, apart from themed ones.

^posted at the same time.

Rachel

Coaster MILF
Aww no it was great going into that tunnel with people who hadn't ridden it before.

Looks really naff now, I hope they do get round to replacing it.

Coasterfreck

Mega Poster
Rachel said:
Aww no it was great going into that tunnel with people who hadn't ridden it before.

Looks really naff now, I hope they do get round to replacing it.
I agree that is looks naff now but it is Thorpe Park, so I really doubt they will do that, but who knows.
Also I am like Marc, I don't ride it either (I am more interested in doing lots of rides on the coasters).

peep

CF Legend
That actually makes it look like a really low ceiling, like a proper head-chopper. Cool. Could just be the angle of the photo though.

It sucks they got rid of most of it though as indoor drops are the best kind.

Beans

Hyper Poster
Just a quick comment on today as I was at Friends and Family day. Try Swarm Backwards, once if your not into it but certainly son't rule it out, it is a really weird feeling especially going up lift hill, you totally miss the billboard though but it is definately worth doing once. The billboard forward however did make me jump when I rode front row, I pulled my arms back inwards and flinched, didn't expect that but it seems a good addition.

Anyone wanting to know how to get on Swarm backwards tomorrow, basically go to main entrance, to left of main entrance big sign where fastrack used to be for backwards seats, another at eye level as you go in. this will take you obviously to in front of bag room, I think you will already have tickets for your ride tomorrow but which ever you decide to go look up for signs Right side is left of main queue and left side is at top of steps on right side of queue, pretty straight forward, even Tina proof.

Only took a few photos so here one from photobucket with new additions Crash Pad as well.

http://s294.beta.photobucket.com/user/B ... 4443553007

marc

CF Legend
When I saw the crash pad on fb at 1st I thought it was extra toilets lol, they could have painted the outside.