What's new

The Games we play...

Tbh I still want all of this gens consoles. purely for there re-releases through downloads.

If i hadnet got a wii I would hev downloaded ikaruga on thew 360,
The wii has a bunch of old games that look iteresting (in all seriousness I dont think many of there new games actually looks good :p)

Same for PS3 (plus it has FFXIII ^_^)

All in all I will agree with what Furie said (even though I rambled on):
It's all about buying the console which suits you best - working it out. You can't say which is the best, cheapest or most worthwhile, as each case is different on all three aspects.

+1 !

I think now that HD-DVD has stopped the Ps3 will completly outsell the 360.

They made a huge mistake by rushing out the 360, it was full of problems no HD drive no HDMI and you had to pay extra for things.

Yes they got it out 1st but its going to finish last. The Ps3 and the WII are going to out sell it. People I know that had a 360 are now buying Ps3's and do not even use the 360 any more.

It is out of date and tbh it was the day it came out.

All consoles are out of date the day they come out. They spend years in development, and the final spec is defined long before production rolls out.

You're right though, the lack of for sight (or desperation to reach market first) meant that the 360 is lacking without the HD video and WiFi element (and HDMI). Or it was, but they've kind of botched it right now.

Thing is, if they'd have asked me, I'd have told them not to go to market first. I've studied the consoles for a long time, and the most powerful often fails, especially if it IS first to market.

I've discussed this (here I think a few years ago) with lots with people. It's all about timing and maturity of the market.

People generally don't want to move console (the majority of people, not early adopters), until they feel they have had value for money out of their current set-up. I'd say, depending on income, this is between 3 and 5 years. As most people don't get their console until about 2 years after release, you are looking at between 5 and 7 years after a console is released, that the majority of people are looking to move on.

So, the absolute earliest MS should have been looking at release, was late 2006. Okay, so they met that, but it's a risky time if there's another console (or two) on the horizon. Most people will sit back and wait in a 'comfort zone' of the full 7 years. Why adopt now at the earliest time you can, when waiting just another 12 months gives you the opportunity to pick between the lot. Most will wait yet another 12 months to be honest.

The Wii has thrown it a little this time, as it's a lovely little 'interim' machine, as well as finding a new audience.

So people will wait about 7 years after a console release before they move on to the 'next gen'. They then look at the market, and look at which is the 'newest console'. Even if the first to market is technologically the best, it's seen by the GP as old hat and dated, so they tend to avoid it.

This is what is now happening. People are now READY for a next gen console, and see the 360 as being old and doddery. It's not true, but it's just been around too long.

It happened before with the Dreamcast and PS2. Prior to that, the PSX and the N64. Before that, the Atari Jaguar (actually, that's a funny area - every one of that 'gen' failed. the best selling console the year the Mega 32 (whatever the replacement for the megadrive/genesis was), Jaguar, 3D0 and, erm, the other one - was the Sega Megadrive. All of those units failed to work out, because they offered too little, for too much, to a too highly crowded market.

So, never come to market first, no matter what!

Anyway, games :)

I finally got Half Life 2 working again on my home PC! It's taken months, but it's fab. I shall now invest in the Orange Box I think :)

furie said:
Martyn said:
Yeah, you can download the proper track and kinda hack it into the game, so you can drive a real track then.

Apparently the car is really good, very realistic.

I'm getting my old(ish) graphics card posted up from home, so fingers crossed!

Damage isn't, but it does handle well enough even on a keyboard.

If you have a PCI-E slot, I have a spare gfx card :)

Well thanks very much, but my PC is AGP (haha), so I got my dad to post me up my old graphics card and I'm now having lots of fun thrashing around the Nordschleife for free!

I did a 9:35 last night, which included rolling at the Karussell! Bloody keyboard controls.

*looks at wheels on ebay*

Haha! Which circuit? I'll try and beat you tonight with my delicious wheel :D

The full Nurburgring Nordschleife (you have to "hack" it in). There's a nice handy youtube video explaining how here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE6Jm8w5 ... re=related

It's a bit patronising for us IT types! :lol:

Oh and it's about ten minutes for an out lap! :lol:

Just to warn you, 9:35 is a rubbish time, so you'll beat it easily, don't be too impressed when you do!

That's a bit special actually Martyn, well done :)

For free, it's absolutely superb! I had a drive around in the dark, scary stuff!

That last corner is a complete bitch though - you come hammering into it off the long straight, and it just always catches you - bastard!

:D

Yeah it's quite cool starting at about 7pm and letting it get dark! I did half the track before I found the headlights button too! :lol:

And yes, the home straight is just scary considering you have to be on right hand side during the straight bit, ready to turn in and face your impending doom and not lift at all as it gets a bit curvy. Then you have to remember where to brake for the last corner and pray the car stops otherwise you cut the track and your lap is invalid!

You found your way out of the "pits" ok then! :lol: Fortunately I recognised it all so knew where I was going the first time!

Aremburg is another frustrating corner, it's the one with the bridge just after it!

http://www.billzilla.org/ring/nordschleife.jpg

Martyn said:
:D

Yeah it's quite cool starting at about 7pm and letting it get dark! I did half the track before I found the headlights button too! :lol:

And yes, the home straight is just scary considering you have to be on right hand side during the straight bit, ready to turn in and face your impending doom and not lift at all as it gets a bit curvy. Then you have to remember where to brake for the last corner and pray the car stops otherwise you cut the track and your lap is invalid!

You found your way out of the "pits" ok then! :lol: Fortunately I recognised it all so knew where I was going the first time!

Aremburg is another frustrating corner, it's the one with the bridge just after it!

http://www.billzilla.org/ring/nordschleife.jpg

Haha! I did exactly the same. I redefined all the controls when I first downlaoded a couple of weeks back - headlights, I'll never need those, I'll put them on some obscure key :lol:

I'll give it a bit more of a play tonight, as I just don't know the track at all. It says wonders for the game that I can make it round with minimal scraping though (except that last corner :D ).

I found my way out of the pits... Going the wrong way down the track! :D

I've also just been playing "batillion wars 2" at work, and having good enough fun playing it to seriously consider buying it for home (if smash bros wasnt taking up all my game time)

Smelly said:
NOTE : Download the full game with adverts.. it's totally free and the ads dont really get in the way!

Just done so and it says...
"Your game will continue after the ad has finished playing"
But theres no ad. :? and it's been on that screen for 5 minutes now. :(

Been on a bit of a tiny spree at the weekend. I played Portal on Friday night (it's okay, and certainly raised a smile or two) :)

Then Saturday night, had an hour or so on UT III on the PS3. I really wasn't looking forward to the game. I'm a fan of the series on the PC, but my current beige box just wont do UT III justice. I'd read a LOT of positive reviews of it on the PS3 though, so went for it anyway (only £35 at Asda).

It's actually damn good. The controls shocked me the most, as I hate FPS on a pad. They work excellently though, and the game runs blindingly. Well worth a £35 investment! You can also use a mouse and keyboard if you like :)

Then later on, I had an hour or so against big John on Burnout Paradise. We both had headsets, and I've got the camera. So we did a few challenges, and then arsed about taking each other out.

Really good fun - seriously. Everyone on here should get the game, headset and a camera and we'll have a lark in Paradise City :D

And as a reply to furies post here are the awsome pictures of when i took him out hehehe
furiekinsplayingburnoutde9.jpg

furiekinsplayingburnouted4.jpg

furiekinsplayingburnoutqj2.jpg

furiekinsplayingburnoutwl5.jpg

furiekinsplayingburnouttl5.jpg

furiekinsplayingburnoutct3.jpg

furiekinsplayingburnoutnb3.jpg

We need to start a gallery for these lol hehehe

LOL! Excellent John! How can anyone refuse to be taken in by the game now? :lol:

^I'm still unsure whether to get it or not. :?
I know that it's one city that you drive around to get to races, and that you can go any route you want. But i'm unsure on the online option.
Is it just for races, or can you all drive round the city at the same time?

The online is just like the offline you do what you want when you want to theres challenges races or just drive round battering each other its awsome and getting it online is easy as pressing twice on the right d pad and off ya go thats it