What's new

Six Flags Magic Mountain | Twisted Colossus | RMC Iron Horse

Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain | Twisted Colossus | RMC Iron H

The only similarity between Beast, Smiler, and Twisted Colossus is having two lift hills.

Again, here is a rundown of popular definitions of a mobius roller coaster:

Wikipedia said:
A Möbius loop roller coaster can be either a racing roller coaster or a dueling roller coaster. Its unique feature is that there is one continuous track instead of two separate ones. As a result, the station that a train leaves is not the same one to which it will return.
RCDB said:
The two tracks are continuous forming a single circuit or 'Moebius Loop'.
UltimateRollerCoaster.com said:
A racing roller coaster where the track forms one continuous-circuit and passes through the station twice.
CoasterForce said:
A Moebius loop coaster is a cunning piece of design. Named after the German mathematician August Ferdinand Möbius, each side of the track has no real beginning and no end. Instead it is a continuous loop, with the first side continuing to become the second side, which then comes back to the first.

Yes, this is very confusing, and very clever. The result is a racing coaster (two tracks with two trains running side by side simultaneously) where you will come back into the opposite side you left from.

So if a mobius roller coaster is to be defined as having two stations, one track, Twisted Colossus doesn't count. However, considering the track loops back around to race itself, it definitely carries the popular characteristic of a mobius roller coaster, albeit only having one station.

So it is safest to call it a racing/dueling roller coaster.

... And of course it is only one credit.

Hyde said:
The only similarity between Beast, Smiler, and Twisted Colossus is having two lift hills.

I don't know almost anything about Smiler, but it's very common on Beast for one train to exit the double helix while the next train drops into the first tunnel, creating a flyby like you would find on a dueling coaster. That's where the similarity comes from.

^ I see your point, though on moment of fly-by versus thousands of feet of track racing and intertwining are two different levels of interaction.

How much would you guys have argued about Daidasaurus, if you think this is a möbius? (Which it isn't.)
You actually went through the station twice and up the lift hill next to the first one... They converted a twin-track coaster into one longer layout... It had all of the elements of a möbius except you get off the train halfway through those... Give it up, there's still only five of them.

^ which gets to my earlier post on the exact definition of a mobius roller coaster. Is it one racing roller coaster with two stations? Is it a racing roller coaster with one continuous track?

^ The latter.

I have to say, it looks absolutely fantastic. I really have to go and try and ride it when it's open.

Hyde said:
^ which gets to my earlier post on the exact definition of a mobius roller coaster. Is it one racing roller coaster with two stations? Is it a racing roller coaster with one continuous track?

This coaster is the latter, but a Mobius is the first one I believe.

Coaster Crew has posted this short video of the start of (de)construction:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIJxt8e3Ru0[/youtube]

Colossus has caught on fire! Lucky no one is reported to be hurt!

10599236_10205008533073211_7633265846301113361_n.jpg

984204_10205008567354068_4483842949520009397_n.jpg

http://ktla.com/2014/09/08/firefighters ... r-coaster/

The **** is it with RMC setting parks on fire?

Good thing no one was hurt though.

Re: Colossus on fire SFMM

Looks like they've done a decent job to put it out quite quickly

Seems like the structure has now partially collapsed!

screen_shot_2014-09-08_at_1_0_0.png

thumb_screen_shot_2014-09-08_at_2.png

How the hell did they manage that!

Looks too high up to be arson? It can't be the sunlight can it? I suppose if it was it would have happened years ago, unless the wood has dried out loads recently?

It's probably an electrical problem whilst they were removing parts. They have been un tracking the coaster since it closed.

By looking at the pictures the fire is where the chain for this lift hill was so it's probably the motor.

Video of lifthill collapse

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO5qsRFZkP4[/youtube]

"Boom Boom"

I love the commentary on that. Sad that the park might get some bad press for this though... But at least it came after the coaster could close gracefully.

Pretty sure it is electrical, as been stated. They were intending to keep the lift structure mostly intact I believe, so this will definitely delay it from "spring" like they tried to say. The safe bet of July 4 is gone now IMO, I'll put it August/September now. Or it just gets so **** by California unions it isn't able to go until 2016.