What's new

Six Flags Magic Mountain | Twisted Colossus | RMC Iron Horse

Re: SFMM Colossus to Close: Reign of the Wooden King Ends

TilySlo said:
^ Is it a möbius, though? Because you don't really return to the station after the 1st lap, but rather directly continue on to the second part of the ride.
I guess in the technical sense it does not count as a mobius, but I do use the term in the sense that it is all one track.

And for those who haven't seen the video overview yet:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxtariZgdLM&list=UUIxiXRZqUv9zYVM80cz6ZnA[/youtube]

ThomVD said:
peep said:
marc said:
I think it looks great btw it's the first one of these I've actually liked the look of.

Same. The inversions over the other train, love those bits. Looks like a fun ride.

Agreed. I don't like how many RMCs are being made at the moment. Haven't been on one, but a GCI or gravity group woodie appeals much more to me. This definitely looks like the best one in my opinion.

Can't wait for Wildfire to open so I can finally see what the fuss is about.

Trust me, you have to ride one to get the hype. I wasn't all that impressed when they started to pop and I wasn't that excited to ride Goliath at SFGAm when I attended the media day, It didn't look anything special going by the POV. But, it was incredible! The best woodie I've even been on. RMC are quite honestly much better to ride than they are to look at.

As for this little beauty, looks FANTASTIC! Like, this coaster is enough to force me over to the west coast. Alan Shilke is a genius, and he's proving it once again.

Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain | Twisted Colossus | RMC Iron H

It is technically not a mobius, but the track colors alternate during the course of the ride.

Is it me or at 1:22 the ride heads to the lift?

Agree totally that you may need to actually ride an RMC to see get how great they are. I was decidedly NOT into NTG when it was announced, but having ridden it and Outlaw Run now, I'm a believer.

This ride will be really fun. I loooooove the inversion crossover things, it's very vintage Dueling Dragons. Bit rich of them to advertise "the world's first hybrid high-five" as if that means anything at all.

I imagine it's going to be very difficult to get this timed right so that they actually duel, won't it? Either it's going to race effectively for about a week and then never again OR we can expect a lot of sitting around waiting on the second lift for the other train to dispatch.

I love the idea of this ride, and I love a lot about it. It just feels so short. It's one lap and than a MASSIVE pace-killer lift hill and then one more lap that's basically the same, and that's it. The idea of having the two sides be part of the same ride (I wouldn't call it a mobius) is very cool, but in reality I think all it does is kill the pace of a ride that's already extremely short. Would anyone have been disappointed if it had just been a normal racer with a double station?

I hope they prove me wrong, there's a lot to like about this coaster.

OK, woke up finally, was sick as a dog last night, so now I can formulate my thoughts a little better.

1. This thing will not open in spring like it says in the video. Earliest will be June, probably July, more likely August, unlessnthey haul ass on construction,
2. Media day is the only time this will duel, because it won't take long for a cell phone to smack somebody in the face and ruin it for all.
3. Love the color switch and the ejector hill post drop, as well as the high 5
4. Judging by the video, it does look as if the second lift will essentially stop to wait for dispatch of train 2.
5. Something OK have no idea of, and just pulling it out of my ass, they technically could duel load this mofo and run it quite efficiently with three trains. I know for a fact this park can operate efficiently, I've seen it twice, and that's when they used both stations on Tatsu. Unless they redo station with load/unload, capacity will be awful.
6. As much as I rip on the park, it still holds a soft spot and this is exactly what they need, a true airtime machine in a park full of just inversions.

Am I excited? Yes. RMC is the premier wooden coaster company by miles right now, and I'm so glad this finally happened. Been waiting 3 years for this, and after the disappointing Full Throttle ****, I will now go back to the park. This will probably be the first coaster I ride in three years and I can't wait.

Looks cool. Awesome that we are getting an RMC on this side of the States.

Be curious to see how they retain the dueling aspect.

tomahawk said:
5. Something OK have no idea of, and just pulling it out of my ass, they technically could duel load this mofo and run it quite efficiently with three trains. I know for a fact this park can operate efficiently, I've seen it twice, and that's when they used both stations on Tatsu. Unless they redo station with load/unload, capacity will be awful.
That would be nice if at all possible - similar to how Intamin loads two trains for TTD or Maverick.

It would just be ashame if this roller coaster isn't able to dual in reality because of poor ride operation. I can understand where SFMM is coming from though by cropping this down to one station - the park seemingly gave up running both sides of Colossus years ago.

Also ideally, would this ride would have four trains?

A racing RMC that sounds so sick. It is cool how one train will be upside down while the other train is right under it. It looks awesome with the blue and green tracks I seriously can't wait for this thing.

Darren B said:
peep said:
Same. The inversions over the other train, love those bits. Looks like a fun ride.

Trust me, you have to ride one to get the hype.

I've ridden two thanks.

^ I don't quite think that he was referring to you... ;)

peep said:
Darren B said:
peep said:

Trust me, you have to ride one to get the hype.

I've ridden two thanks.

You are the only person to dislike them though. You also hate mine trains.

I never actually mentioned how they ride or anything like that I've not been on one so I would not have a clue, I meant how they looked and I like the look of this one. Just thought I would clarify what I meant.

If this is a mobius, then so is Smiler? Only difference is the lifts aren't parallel.

^ Again, if we are to define a mobius roller coaster as a roller coaster with two stations but one continuous track, then this is not a mobius roller coaster. However, the spirit of a mobius roller coaster, having one continuous track that races itself, is very much at play here.

In the strictest sense, this would be defined as a dueling racer.

This is the only addition I actually like out of all of them. The colors are beautiful! I wont fully understand the hype until I actually ride a RMC coaster though.

At least the I box isn't Orange. Not that I don't like the Orange track, but it gets repetitive.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Hyde said:
^ Again, if we are to define a mobius roller coaster as a roller coaster with two stations but one continuous track, then this is not a mobius roller coaster. However, the spirit of a mobius roller coaster, having one continuous track that races itself, is very much at play here.

In the strictest sense, this would be defined as a dueling racer.
I'm hesitant... It occupies a space between Kennywood's Racer, a true mobius, and Loch Ness Monster or Beast - both coasters with two lift hills and the possibility of train interaction, or "dueling moments," if you will, because of that.

My instinct is that you need to be able to get a .5 credit from a mobius, meaning it needs two stations. For me, this is just a double out-and-back that happens to have a second lift hill.

At the end of the day, whether it is defined as Mobius or not, it is now 1 cred.

We can all agree on that, right?

^Just as much one cred as The Beast is one cred in my opinion. Same with The Smiler.

I do think there needs to be a new term for this type of coaster that races itself, though. It's definitely catching on after The Smiler and I could expect to see a few more versions of this idea pop up but there needs to be some term for them.