What's new

Six Flags Magic Mountain | Twisted Colossus | RMC Iron Horse

Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain | Twisted Colossus | RMC Iron H

Well I spoke too soon.

Heat will have weakened it and weight of the water, intense hot/cold changes too can't have been healthy for it.

"Hold it there there we go there we go ooooooooh"

Nub.

Ethan said:
... But at least it came after the coaster could close gracefully.
It wouldn't have happened prior to closing. This is why they were spraying the track with water during deconstruction. Obviously they didn't soak a section enough today and the torches they use to split the track set the structure on fire. You can see the process in this video I posted earlier.
ECG said:
Coaster Crew has posted this short video of the start of (de)construction:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIJxt8e3Ru0[/youtube]

That's shocking, surprised it's taken this long for it to be posted; I'd have expected this place to have already been discussing it.

Wait.

:D

Suspects in the fire have been apprended.

National-Lampoons-Vacation-national-lampoons-vacation-27237891-1024-674.jpg

Sorry to change the topic away from the fire, but does anyone know if there are plans for some kind of braking/slowing system on the second lift to ensure the trains are dispatched in unison? It may have been mentioned in the announcement, but I can't remember...

^You mean like the one on Dueling Dragons before the HP renovation? I sure hope so since it would be a much more accurate sync than trimming the train with brakes.

I saw the fire on my Twitter. It looks bad. Like, 6 months delay bad.

In true Six Flags style, the trains will run nearly together on the lift for the first week, then they'll get sent out whenever they're ready after that.

I saw someone mentioning setbacks....

This isn't like B&M or Intamin who hires a 3rd party construction crew to put the ride together. RMC is very involved with the process from start to end. Someone on another forum is claiming that they are still right on schedule even with this minor setback. The structure was coming down anyways so it's not like it was a huge ordeal.

Also, that same someone posted this:

xvuCgFz.jpg

moKiRsX.png

Supposedly the track is coming down rapidly and they're set to begin constructing new portions in the next couple of weeks. I'm not saying this is fact, just hearing it from an apparent inside source.

Maybe they could now give Colossus a Phoenix theme, rising from the ashes, and instead rename the ride to Colossus Rises. :lol:

I do hope SFMM actually gives a damn about pairing up the trains to race. With original Colossus, there was no racing simply because of low ride attendance. However, since we will now be operating only through one station, hopefully that changes the paradigm.

However, if there isn't some sort of tech built into the ride that would slow/speed up chain speeds to match up the trains, fat chance of ride dispatch being accurate enough to match the trains.

You may notice that I commented on that video. :wink:

Hyde said:
However, if there isn't some sort of tech built into the ride that would slow/speed up chain speeds to match up the trains, fat chance of ride dispatch being accurate enough to match the trains.
In fairness, even with the best staff in the world, sometimes issues will delay dispatch. And then what sense does it make to delay twice the amount of people?

Of course, its Six Flags, so staff standard is sub-par and thus unless it has some kind of mechanism, it won't dual, ever.

Joey said:
Hyde said:
In fairness, even with the best staff in the world, sometimes issues will delay dispatch. And then what sense does it make to delay twice the amount of people?

Of course, its Six Flags, so staff standard is sub-par and thus unless it has some kind of mechanism, it won't dual, ever.

You mean to tell me the scatter brained teenagers they hire to run these things aren't capable of doing a basic task? :shock:

My worst experience at Tragic Mountain was on Colossus, so it's not completely off topic...

With one side closed, and only one red train on the other side, the line was about 30 minutes despite not actually being long enough to get out of the station proper...
We finally got on, and upon return to the brake run, waited roughly 3-5 minutes while two ride ops argued about who's job it was to take out some trash. Would have been nice if at some point they'd hit the green button and brought us in, but nope.
It's the only time I have EVER been stacked on a coaster during single-train ops.

With star performers like that, I'm not terribly excited about Twisted Colossus.

rollermonkey said:
My worst experience at Tragic Mountain was on Colossus, so it's not completely off topic...

With one side closed, and only one red train on the other side, the line was about 30 minutes despite not actually being long enough to get out of the station proper...
We finally got on, and upon return to the brake run, waited roughly 3-5 minutes while two ride ops argued about who's job it was to take out some trash. Would have been nice if at some point they'd hit the green button and brought us in, but nope.
It's the only time I have EVER been stacked on a coaster during single-train ops.

With star performers like that, I'm not terribly excited about Twisted Colossus.

I'd probably have smacked the hell out of both of them.

They were definitely mentioned when I went to GR later in the day.

I like to try and find someone worthy of a guest compliment, because I know how hard they are to get, and how awesome it is to hear your hard work is noticed.

I couldn't find one that day.