What's new

Six Flags Magic Mountain | Twisted Colossus | RMC Iron Horse

Re: SFMM Colossus to Close: Reign of the Wooden King Ends

I rode Colossus backwards in the front row (as in, left the station first) in May and I was expecting it to be another "Woo, credit!" and move on but I actually was pleasantly surprised by it. Nice and smooth, it was long enough to satisfy anybody, and the amount of ejector I got on it was better than any GCI I've ridden.

My issue with it was actually those vile restraints. The tiny bars had so much space between clicks and the surface area was so small that it concentrated all of that ejector onto that one spot on my lap and it HURT. Definitely the most painful ejector I've experienced and I really wish they could be more ergonomic so it didn't feel like your legs were being sliced off with a bar.

It's a good move, though, and they don't have to reprofile any of the airtime bits. I'd still like them to do the barrel roll-over-barrel roll (have the trains roll onto the opposing tracks one over the other) and make it the longest coaster in the world. Maybe put signs and corny YOLOcoaster-esque effects after the first brake run up through the station and to the second lift hill?

Good names would be The New Colossus (it's the name of a poem so it's a play on words), Maximus Colossus, or Colossus Reborn. I'd like to see something to emphasize the shear length of a joined Colossus, not another rubbish name like Medusa Steel Coaster. As for track color, I think yellow, gold, or dark red would suit it with the whitewash.

I said this on the SFNE Cyclone thread, but the choice to do both of these coasters in the same year seems a tad odd to me. Both are about the same size, both have been reprofiled at some point, and most importantly, both are whitewashed. Could we see something new from RMC's bag of tricks pertaining to more "Giant Coney Island Cyclone"-styled coasters?

We must have ridden it on a bad day then.

It was not rough but had a strange vibration all the way round. It was also slow and have zero of anything tbh.

It's a shame as it's one of the classic coasters that's in many films but something does need to be done to give it a new lease of life.

As I've said before though what upsets me is that it seems the USA is losing so many of its classic wood coasters.

^So far the only "classic" to close is Colossus. That was an iconic ride that most people had seen in movies or commercials. The average person couldn't give two **** about Rattler, Texas Giant, or any of the other Six Flags woodies built in the early 90's that are getting redone.

Sorry was a badly worded post.

I just have a feeling that this will be the first of many if the classic coaster to get redone.

Yes it might improve the ride and improve it. But how long will it be before people end up bored of these just like they did with other types of coasters.

Nice sense of humour from SFMM here...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/screamscape/status/481787661066072064[/tweet]

^YES!!!! That's seriously the best thing I've ever seen Six Flags do marketing-wise! XD I recognized Colossus from the movie without even being told it was Colossus and my family cracks that joke so much when we go theme parking! So glad they did it this way to pay homage to the ride's history.

I'm curious to see what they do with the final brakes and station up to the second lift if they connect it. I wonder if they would just re-route the footprint and take it back to the lift (which seems somewhat stupid, it would add more padding to their length record and would probably cost more) or slow it down and just have it meander back through the station and back to the lift to catch the departing train. Maybe put a setting on it that can clock the velocity of the second train and put the first one on a perfectly timed dispatch to catch train 2 on the lift. On that meandering section maybe they could add in some tacky signs and audio effects a la YOLOcoaster's tunnel. It would be hard to execute but Six Flags doesn't exactly have high standards for that kind of thing so they might just throw some cardboard cutouts on it and be done, but I'd like to see them put something on the former second station track, crappy or not.

^You have to realize, the entire structure is going to have to go over VERY extensive changes, seeing how California has these things called earthquakes, and the standards have changed a lot since the 70's. I doubt much will even stay the same. Yes you will have the same footprint, but I expect around 75% of the structure to be replaced.

Also never mention the abomination that is Six Flags cardboard theming and onboard audio with RMC. To suggest this will meander, means you have never even sniffed an RMC, let alone watched a POV of one.

tomahawk said:
^You have to realize, the entire structure is going to have to go over VERY extensive changes, seeing how California has these things called earthquakes, and the standards have changed a lot since the 70's. I doubt much will even stay the same. Yes you will have the same footprint, but I expect around 75% of the structure to be replaced.

Also never mention the abomination that is Six Flags cardboard theming and onboard audio with RMC. To suggest this will meander, means you have never even sniffed an RMC, let alone watched a POV of one.

I meant the part after the first brakes that would go through the station and onto the second lift. Trust me, I've seen POVs of all five? of these things and I expect the main layout of this coaster to book it. My thoughts were that you could have one side roll over the other and the other roll under, connecting both sides and turning it into a mobius loop coaster (only you don't stop at the station and hit a second lift a la Smiler). My concern was between the brake run and the second lift hill because it would have to go through the old station track and I don't think you can do anything crazy with the same footprint, hence my meandering comment. My suggestion was that it could either A. get that second station platform totally removed and build new footers and supports from scratch and make it so it just cuts around all of that and goes directly from the first brake run to the second lift or B. have the first brake run shave most of the speed off and turn it into what would essentially be a giant pre-lift section, but to have a really long pre-lift section in the middle of the ride with nothing to look at, and knowing Six Flags, I would imagine they would solve this problem by putting in something similar to YOLOcoaster's disgusting tunnel.

As for the meandering bit, I would just like to throw out Iron Rattler's upper canyon segment. That's taken at a pretty slow speed. I'm expecting the part between brake run 1 and lift hill 2 to be either like that or like a pre-lift segment.

Didn't realize that it might not meet earthquake construction standards, though, so that's a great point. I'd expect them to make the turnarounds like Medusa's and maybe undo the reprofiling if they can leave that part standing.

I hope to have ridden Goliath and Holiday World's RMC (if that's what it is) next year, though, so I'll be able to make more educated statements about them next year. This was just based on observation.

2012Jarrett said:
Holiday World's RMC (if that's what it is) next year
I can tell you that there's no way holiday world is Iron Horsing a coaster yet.

But in reality, if this thing is going to incredibly fast on the turns, they have to face the truth in that humans are stupid and will get the idea to throw things at the opposing train. That was one of my only fears with these dueling/racing steel coasters is that the dueling/racing element will have to stop due to stupidity. Although, if the trains travel slower the risk of injury from things being thrown is decreased.

Just like Sky Rider at Canada's Wonderland, this one will also be removed for redevelopment of the land for an improved guest experience in future years.

^Source?

Because that surely can't be an honest opinion. Canada's Wonderland is a CF park. You can't compare what's happening at SFMM to CW.

^^ It certainly won't be removed, that's already been discussed (and more or less confirmed by the park itself). Most likely it will get re-done/re-tracked.

[vimeo][/vimeo]The official SFMM Facebook page has already confirmed that the new ride name, which will be released on August 28th, is on this list of names:

r0a10oj.jpg

I have my money on 'Mega Colossus' or 'Ultimate Colossus'. There have also been rumors that a picture of an RMC company truck was on site at SFMM property not long ago.

Mega Sisters? My roller coaster name sounds like a wrestling duo.

I'm pretty sure it will be Ultimate Colossus. After their YOLOcoaster campaing I wouldn't write off Epic Colossus or some similar unusual coaster name...

Joker's Dipper...

The **** is that?

Anyway, I'm expecting Ultimate Colossus. Expect certain groups to have more fun with that name than others.

Don't be set on mega or ultimate. This is the park for, what, ten years had the tagline of the Xtreme Park.

I'm preparing myself for a huge letdown even though I've been waiting ever since Texas Giant media day for this announcement.

Omnicolossus here we come...

I bet California Colossus, or Twisted Colossus, the latter being more likely.

If it does get retracked, I wonder if they'll do both sides, or re-do it as one?

Lets face it, this coaster is most famous for only having one side in operation, so the latter is probably more favourable.