What's new

Silver Dollar City |"Outlaw Run"| Rocky Mountain Wood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Silver Dollar City |"Unknown"| Wooden Hybrid Coaster

michaellll said:
If I were buying a new car, I'd surely buy from the manufacturer that's pushing the limits of modern engineering and creating components/features which "boast" what they can do. Because if they can do that, then every other aspect of the car will likely be top notch as well.

Or, the car could be utter **** because no body has tried it before, and unreliable.

^Like diecast aluminum engines. Increases fuel milage by being light, but make it prone to breakage as its not meant to take wear as much as a regular engine.

Either way, theme parks need a pull to get people coming. Thats the whole reason behind 'out with the old and in with the new'.

An example is big bad wolf for verbolten. Most enthuiasts loved bbw, and to some verbolten didnt even compare. But the general population is going to drool over something new and shiny.

Sent while out and about

At least if the roll doesn't work out as planned they'll be able to convert it into an airtime hill. It wouldn't surprise me if that backup plan actually exists although I'm pretty sure RMC are confident with what they're attempting. :)

Re: Silver Dollar City |

Ethan said:
Or, the car could be utter **** because no body has tried it before, and unreliable.

Error said:
^Like diecast aluminum engines. Increases fuel milage by being light, but make it prone to breakage as its not meant to take wear as much as a regular engine.

:|

I was thinking more along the lines of the addition of say...electronic stability control. When it was introduced in the 90's I'm sure there were quite a few people out there who appreciated the innovation that went into ESC.

The point I'm trying to make is that a successful innovation or "gimmick" not only represents the pinnacle of current engineering, but usually correlates to overall quality in other aspects of a project.

Whether it's RMC doing a zero-g, or Mercedes Benz/BMW in the 90's with ECS, its success should rest on the entirety of the project, and not just on the "LOOK IT DOES SOMETHING NEW" aspect.

And yes. I do understand how loose my analogy is. :wink:

I don't really get this whole debate about "gimmicks"....Just seems like a form of tall poppy syndrome.
A ride might be otherwise fine in its own right, but there's always the one guy who plays the gimmick card for an excuse to say something negatvive.

And what is not gimmicky about theme parks/roller coasters to begin with anyway?

My definition of a true gimmick would be one where a ride does one (new?) thing, often poorly anyway, and nothing else, and as a result the ride the ride kinda sucks and feels meh.
See the Screamin Squirrels as a prime example.

Except this thing is immense and will most likely be a solid all around ride (If NTXG is anything to go by) and the Zero G will be one positive feature, along with a whole bunch of others.

The fact that it's a wooden coaster makes it something new and unique for Silver Dollar City, not the fact that it has a 0-g roll.

As for Rocky Mountain Coasters, they found a niche in roller coaster manufacturing. It's apparent that they've been successful with their few projects so far and any parks that see this innovation may consider something similar. There's nothing wrong with regular wooden coasters and we'll always see wooden roller coasters being built. These hybrids are just another product added to the list for parks to choose from.

EDIT: Here's a link to the photos. It appears that the track is still rotating. At this point, even if it isn't a 0-g roll and it ends up being some weird stengel dive like element, it's so far banked it's probably beyond 160*.

http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/silver/ ... ndex2.html

I could actually see that being a dive loop of sorts. If it does a full or near inversion up at the top, there might be enough room for it to go into a steep inclined dive loop. It's kind of hard to explain what I'm thinking with this one, hope I was clear.

Also, I could see them using guy wires and/or steel to help support this inversion. There's no way that tiny wooden beam is holding up a heavy coaster train and I think that using a combination of guy wires and steel might help.

Hope what I said made sense, I had a bit of trouble explaining it.

Sorry to break up the whole gimmick conversation, but there is a publicity site up right now, it doesn't reveal much, but it's Silver Dollar City's official page, and it says something on there about a big announcement.

http://www.silverdollarcity2013.com/

From ACE's facebook:
557135_10151884726330576_890298164_n.jpg

fkghfhgdhjdhdjysdyxyct.jpg

From TPR.

Not a roll, but I'd definitely consider that an inversion...

Woop, what did I say? :D

Yeah, still an inversion though.

Told you it wouldn't be a zero-g! <3

My faith in this coaster is restored. Now whoever said it was "confirmed to be a roll" can sit there in shame. Hahaha.

YES <3

As we said, A *kind of* Stengel. But, it is an Inversion never the less.

So happy it's not a Zero-G.

Meh, kinda disappoint but still very excited for this.

Also, no feeling of shame on my end :3

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

holy mother of god! I think that will actually be better than a zero-g, I am very excited for this :)

Don't meh me. That stengel makes my goodie parts all tingly.

^My reply....must...not...type...it.... :3

On another note, is there any update about the first drop? Anything more precise than "Zomg that is steep"?

:-O

That's. Awesome.

I personally consider anything banked over 135 degrees an inversion, so while it might not be a looping/rolling element, I think it counts. I think this is the next step in bringing inversions to wooden coasters.

And if I'm correct, this is NOT using the I-beam style track used on NTG and the rails we see are sort of mounts for the I-beams or are the rails we see what the train will touch?

Re: Silver Dollar City |

Intricks said:
^My reply....must...not...type...it.... :3

On another note, is there any update about the first drop? Anything more precise than "Zomg that is steep"?

Remember.. this is a family site. So post away. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.