What's new

Silver Dollar City |"Outlaw Run"| Rocky Mountain Wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jer

Strata Poster
http://rcdb.com/10582.htm

There was also a news article I found on sdcfans.com:

A recent article in the Spokane Journal of Business profiled a newcomer to the business of roller coaster design and manufacturing: Rocky Mountain Coasters of Hayden, Idaho. Rocky Mountain has raised eyebrows recently with the completion of a massive re-build of Six Flag's Over Texas' Texas Giant wooden coaster using the company's revolutionary "Topper Track" technology that involves utilizing steel rails on a traditional wooden frame. The firm has gone on to apply their new track to several existing coasters with much success, but as the linked article explains, the firm has their sights set higher than simply refurbishing existing coasters. The company will apparently open their first coaster completely designed and built from the ground up right here at Silver Dollar City in 2013.

The article says nothing specifically about the Silver Dollar City coaster, but goes on to note more of Rocky Mountain's innovations, including a new train design the firm says will be "revolutionary for the industry." Furthermore, Rocky Mountain's combination of track and new trains will allow for their wooden-hybrid coasters to go upside down and perform maneuvers unheard of for wooden coasters heretofore.

The final detail the article gives in relation to the firm's 2013 projects is that they have a combined investment total of $12 million. With the other project being a refurbishment of Six Flag's Fiesta Texas' existing Rattler wooden coaster, the bulk of this total will obviously be going to Silver Dollar City. One would estimate that if the refurbishments to Six Flags' coaster are no more than a few million to replace their troublesome first drop, then $9-10 million would be spent on Silver Dollar City's new coaster, nearly what it cost to transform the Texas Giant into the hulking thrill machine it is after the Rocky Mountain make-over.

Further speculation will certainly revolve around how much of a thrill this new coaster will provide and whether or not it will include the new trains and inversions the firm is obviously eager to show off. One has to consider that Silver Dollar City and its parent company are usually more conservative with their ride choices, but anything seems to be possible at this point.

Source: http://www.sdcfans.com/news/140

This also is saying that Rattler at SFFT will be getting the Iron Horse renovation.

Snoo

The Legend
Re: Wooden Hybrid Coaster for Silver Dollar City

If it's the same style as Texas Giant.. it's NOT a wooden coaster. When will these kids get it?

tomahawk

Strata Poster

This is nothing but good in my opinion. I'll put my money down on a Zero-G roll and a nice underground segment.

There have been rumors that Rattler will only get topper since Six Flags wants to be cheap, which is a shame since Iron Horse is instant top 5.

Ben

CF Legend

I love how they've done one really messed up ride and suddenly this company is the second coming of Jesus.

Just saying, adding steel track to Texas Giant is a bit different to building an entirely new ride. And that job could only be described as messed up and **** crazy.

Gazza

Giga Poster

I think as a new coaster though it could really work well for SDC.

The wooden structure sort of suits the feel of the park, but at least the track will have none of the maintenance costs and issues.

I love how they've done one really messed up ride and suddenly this company is the second coming of Jesus.
NTXG is actually an amazing coaster though.

Bottom_Feeder_13

Hyper Poster

Its going to be an all topper track coaster, also the first supports are up.
7056530415_f406512912_c.jpg

tomahawk

Strata Poster

It's rumored to be all topper, not confirmed. Honestly, I saw a file that was linked to one they were considering for Silverwood, and if that got moved to SDC...well basically prepare to have your jaws drop. I think I showed it to RCF and Jer, but I can't recall.

I'm just really confused. Wouldn't it be more costly not only monetarily but for time to build a wooden coaster with steel rails, than just a plain old steel coaster that essentially does the exact same thing?/ I understand the whole retracking thing, or using steel supports with a wooden track, but this just goes over my head.

Jer

Strata Poster

It's all a novelty thing to have all topper track, for the park to be able to say "We have a wooden coaster, but with steel rails" and the GP of that area would be "wow they are the first ever! it's so unique lets go and spend more money and time there!"

I can imagine that the cost of upkeep for steel track rather than wooden is less though. Probably offers a smoother ride, and the possibility of more twisted and crazy elements than a standard wooden track.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

It's probably a lot to do with the image of the park as well. Silver Dollar City is crying out for a woodie, in terms of the aesthetics and setting of the park.

Their other major rides, Powder Keg and Wildfire, are very "modern", yet still fit in well with the park's overall image and atmosphere.

This kind of coaster allows them to continue with that: a high-tech coaster that fits in to an "old" aesthetic.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

Wow...this is news!

If I'm honest, several weeks ago I believed that no inverting woodie would ever be made again due to the disaster which was Son Of a Beast, however now....just perfect! This will certainly add to "out of control" feeling on woodies...

This will sure get Silver Dollar city back on the map!

Likely inversions? Most likely a V.loop, but I'd think that a corkscrew/flat spin, an in-line twist, an immelman and a dive loop are all contendors. Just my guess work though.

Ben

CF Legend

^If it's like Texas Giant, it won't be a woodie.

Gazza

Giga Poster

LiveForTheLaunch said:
I'm just really confused. Wouldn't it be more costly not only monetarily but for time to build a wooden coaster with steel rails, than just a plain old steel coaster that essentially does the exact same thing?/ I understand the whole retracking thing, or using steel supports with a wooden track, but this just goes over my head.
Generally, Wooden Coasters can be cheaper than Steel Coasters of the same size , but the trade-off is higher running costs of a wooden coaster in the long term.

So I think this aims to adress both issues...Building a coaster that is cheap up front (and looks rustic) but is also cheaper to run.

D1993

Hyper Poster

why hasnt there been more talk about this?
couldnt this be a rather potentially huge and awesome coaster?
does anyone know when we should expect to get layout and stat details?

Intricks

Strata Poster

Lift is going up currently and the ride seems to be hidden from view like Boulder Dash is.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster

This is seriously one of the most exciting coaster projects for 2013 yet.

Can't wait to see what layout style they'll be going for. Twister, Out & Back...

Intricks

Strata Poster

From what it sounds like...their take on Voyage (as that is the only Out n Back with a turnaround into a twister layout that I knownof)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Mike

Giga Poster

I don't care what kind of coaster it is, but if this ride turns out as good as Powder Keg is, it's a winner in my books!

tomahawk

Strata Poster

If this is anything like Texas Giant (which it will be) it will be a top 5 coaster. Period. End of story. I'm hoping we see the trains RMC has been working on to compete with PTC's. The gerstlauer trains on NTG were fantastic, but I would love to see their own trains.

I will be going to SDC for this thing in 2013, no chance I will be missing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.