What's new

Saw Alive: Thorpe Park Horror Maze for 2010

Press release has appeared.

Thorpe Park said:
With the huge success of SAW - The Ride, which launched in March 2009, THORPE PARK has seen visitor numbers increase significantly against 2008, despite the global economic downturn. Today, the nation's Thrill Capital has announced they will launch SAW Alive, a year round live action horror maze, in Spring 2010 to firmly establish themselves as the ultimate theme park experience for thrill seekers.

Based on Lionsgate and Twisted Pictures' SAW movies, the most popular horror film franchise in history, SAW Alive will be the world's most extreme horror attraction and with the latest installment in the series, SAW VI, premiered on Friday 23rd October, THORPE PARK will be inviting visitors to 'Face Your Fears' in their new terrifying attraction next year.

Like the films, SAW Alive will test the nerve of all who dare enter it and visitors will be at the mercy of the series' master manipulator, Jigsaw. THORPE PARK's year round live action horror maze will be the first of its kind at a theme park that does not only focus around the Halloween period, and will feature six iconic scenes from the six films released to date. The attraction will also incorporate a photo opportunity to capture terrified guests as they're subjected to the horror of the maze.

Mike Vallis, Divisional Director of THORPE PARK comments, "THORPE PARK has seen incredible growth year-on-year since the Park was repositioned 5 years ago as the nation's Thrill Capital - through our programme of regular and continued investment in our thrilling rides, attractions and events."

Marketing Director of THORPE PARK Vicki Smith says, "SAW Alive is definitely only for the brave, and coupled with SAW - The Ride, the new attraction will add an extremely thrilling edge to an already adrenaline packed breadth of thrills on offer. We're certain the SAW theme will send heart beats pumping and will satisfy the appetite of those in search of the ultimate live action experience."

"Anybody who has sat through a SAW film terrified beyond belief will have some idea of what's in store for them at THORPE PARK as SAW Alive is going to be shocking and intense to really enhance the experience they will get alongside SAW - The Ride. We have worked closely with Lionsgate and Twisted Pictures on this project to ensure total accuracy of the key elements of the SAW films."

Lionsgate UK COO Guy Avshalom added, "As the SAW brand continues to grow we are very happy to be extending our relationship with THORPE PARK with SAW Alive. With the recent release of SAW VI and the success of SAW - The Ride we are delighted that SAW Alive will allow the fans of the franchise to experience fear on a new level. This is an exciting time for SAW fans nationwide."

The managers at Thorpe should have their bloody theme park license taken away, and Merlin have a few points put on theres. Unfortunately we weren't missing anything, it's as bad as first thought. Either this will have to have a 'constant stream' of people and be a completely watered down and dissapointing experience or the queues during summer will actually be a violation of some sort of human rights legislation against torture.

UNLESS you go through in small, separate groups, walkthroughs never work. If you're just walking through I don't see how it will be any different to some of the QUEUELINES (Dueling Dragons) of better parks, but with actors. The above doesn't even confirm there will be actors though. The only way I can see this working is if it either becomes the new entrance or exit from SAW. Then I guess, presuming it's steady stream, it will add to the attraction because it will be, frankly, very poor on its own.

And Martyn I reckon it will be a walk-through like they do at Fright Nights. If they did what you suggested then capacity would be terrible.

But thats why you have plenty of rooms/scenes.

The thing is, the Saw films are all about these sick traps that people are put in, they're not proper 'scary' horror films, they're just grusome films.

Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, The Ring etc are films that are made to properly scare you, the Saw rubbish is just all about blood & guts, and the fear of being in one of the traps.

If its just a walkthrough with people that make you jump, it wont have any connection with the films (apart from themeing), but to actually be in rooms where you have to take part in games to 'survive', would be much more realistic.

Anybody who has sat through a SAW film terrified beyond belief

Thats nobody then.

It's jumpy and pyscho horror, with a dash of gore thrown in for good measure...

It is however getting old... Look what happened to other horror films which have spawned countless sequels... If Saw ever got to the state of Jason X (Jigsaw in SPACE!) then I sense even Ollie may regret his own fanboyism ;)

Interesting how they say it is expected to be on the Thorpe Belle. I would never have thought of that myself, but it seems like a good enough idea, as it can be moved to the Saw area of the park quite easily.

Well I reckon the belle would be an ideal place for the maze, I just hope it will live up to the hype this is likely to receive. If I was to judge based on fright nights, I would'nt put my hopes too high, they are decent; but not amazing theming-wise. Although, since they are again working with lionsgate on this, it may well be good. Whatever happens though, anything is a bonus as long as has to do with SAW :lol:

Can someone change the topic title please?
Also there was another Saw attraction like Thorpe are planning to do that was open last year for Halloween.
Go on their site and check out some of their pics by clicking on the 'media' tab.
http://www.sinisterpointe.com/
Only the first 6 pics are from the Saw one though.

If Thorpe can do anything even half as good as that I'll be pleased. :)

Thorpe's one will be nowhere near Universal's, simple as, so don't get your hopes up based on that one, otherwise it'll end up being overhyped and disappointing, just like the coaster ;)

Where's the queue gonna go then? Cos there's not exactly room on the 'island' for it...

SAW_gameover said:
Well I reckon the belle would be an ideal place for the maze, I just hope it will live up to the hype this is likely to receive. If I was to judge based on fright nights, I would'nt put my hopes too high, they are decent; but not amazing theming-wise. Although, since they are again working with lionsgate on this, it may well be good. Whatever happens though, anything is a bonus as long as has to do with SAW :lol:

Did anyone else notice that the Thorpe Belle had been moved, it was in the area where we all met for GF. This is where the other path that leads to Saw is so I think it will stay there and then people can use the new path after Saw or before.

Nemesis Inferno said:
Thorpe's one will be nowhere near Universal's, simple as, so don't get your hopes up based on that one, otherwise it'll end up being overhyped and disappointing, just like the coaster ;)

Well that might not be true in the strictest sense. IF (and this is a very big IF) it were to be an attraction that is outsourced for another company to put together that it has the potential to be extremely well done. Like Thomas-Land in Drayton, that came out very well because Drayton didn't actually have to do anything in terms of the getting it designed, it was all done for them. They just had to pay for it.

So, if the same company that designed the Universal Saw Maze were to be approached to create a similar attraction for Thorpe instead of the Merlin Studios there is a potential for it to be very good.

Since the details are basic at the moment is more a case of waiting to see who is doing what. Will any form of planning permission be put in place for this?

Mark said:
Will any form of planning permission be put in place for this?

Probably not, I suppose it depends whether or not they are building a permanent building for the attraction or its just going to be in a tent like the Fright Night mazes.

I hope they put some effort in although im not having my hopes too high as I was expecting the queueline to be a kind of scare maze on Saw and I was more than disappointed with it.

photo0422.jpg

The area around where the thorpe belle now is has been fenced off
could just be to connect up the new path?

I think this has something to do with the path that was originally planned to go from the island over to the location of the Belle. Originally a strip of land was being sorted for a pathway leading from next to Crust. Work on it seemed to just stop early on this year though. This pathway was on the original plans...

Just a thought on the horror maze thing. If it's going to have live actors and a slow through-put, I reckon Thorpe will implement an extra charge for the attraction.

Nick said:
Just a thought on the horror maze thing. If it's going to have live actors and a slow through-put, I reckon Thorpe will implement an extra charge for the attraction.

It doesnt really matter that the throughput is slow. Thorpe dont care how long people queue for.
Charging extra will cause uproar with guests, letting guests queue for 3 hours wont, and a longer queue means more money made from selling fastrack tickets.

Ollie said:
^The park said the new path to the Island was due to open 2010 though.

No, it was supposed to be finished for Saw's opening. But they ran out of money :roll:

Plus everyone knows it's going to be revamped into 3D for next season anyways, silly Roller Coaster Oliver ;)