What's new

Rank the Star Wars Movies (so far).

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
People like something quirky with a bit of fluff on it.
Saw a box of Rogue One figures in tesco a while back and my friend who knows 0 about Star Wars immediately said the yeti thing would be their favourite.
I have absolutely no memory of the yeti thing even being in the film.

Actually, the WAMPA (or as you know it, the yeti thing) is in Rogue One. It's in the background of the scenes on Jedha.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Actually, the WAMPA (or as you know it, the yeti thing) is in Rogue One. It's in the background of the scenes on Jedha.

Ahem! It's a Gigoran, not a Wampa :p Bloody kids today know NOTHING! ;)

Did anyone notice the announcement today that Colin Trevorrow has been removed from directing Episode IX. That's two Star Wars films in the last few months that have changed directors. Slightly concerning!

I'm not too concerned with them putting Ron Howard in on Han Solo though.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
^Ron Howard should be ok, as long as he doesn't rope in his bum-chum Hans Zimmer to do the music. Most overrated composer ever.

Treverrow is no big loss (Jurassic World was poo), but I do wonder who will step in. With Spielberg refusing to be involved, if I were Disney, I'd be on the phone to Paul Verhoeven right about now.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
You better be under the age of 20, otherwise :emoji_zipper_mouth: right off... ;)
What's the significance of the 20?

I had no doubt that it wasn't there, just seemed far too obscure to have made it into the kid's toys section.
Which I guess was my original point.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
There is none. It was a number I chose to illustrate that anyone under that age is too young to know any better. :p

Nah, I'm with HeartlineCoaster - age has nothing to do with it. When I was under 20, I knew the order of the films was:
ESB
ANH
ROTJ
Steaming pile of ****
Caravan of Courage
Battle for Endor

I also knew who bit characters like Klaatu, R5-D4, Hammerhead, IG-88, Lobot and a bunch of other characters you only see for two seconds in the background. Hell, I could even name individual Ewoks under duress.

So no, as Howie has proven, nothing to do with age - it's just incredible poor taste and judgement.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
There is none. It was a number I chose to illustrate that anyone under that age is too young to know any better. :p
That's fine if you're going for the older should know better angle. I'm no film critic, I just like what I like.
They're ranked purely on how much emotional impact they have on me (the reason I watch films), not the quality of the film in the eyes of others.
Based on that thought, I don't think I want to 'know any better'.

Just thought it might have been some weird nostalgia for the originals idea, even though someone in their 20's these days is a prime candidate for having grown up with the prequels in cinema.

*A wave of the hand*
Move along.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
That's fine if you're going for the older should know better angle. I'm no film critic, I just like what I like.
They're ranked purely on how much emotional impact they have on me (the reason I watch films), not the quality of the film in the eyes of others.
Based on that thought, I don't think I want to 'know any better'.

See, there's not really an issue with "liking what you like". It's fine, and I certainly have films, music, books, etc. I adore that I know are rubbish, but they just resonate with me.

It's absolutely fine, and... We're talking Star Wars here. We're not arguing if Citizen Kane or Casablanca are the best films ever made. Or what are the failings of Hitchcock's "Rope" or "Rebecca". They're stupid, over the top, ridiculous action war films set in a completely unbelievable fictional world. They're nothing to those that enjoy them but "emotional impact" - on a very base level.

So yes, judgement based on how it makes you feel emotionally is fine. However... Even within the 7 circles of hell of Star Wars criticism, some films are just better. The direction, the script, the acting, the lack of green screen bollocks. You can still break them down and say "this film is, by all accounts and empirical measures you can have through agreement of people who 'know their **** ' " better than the other films.

Everyone is allowed a preference or an opinion, just be prepared to defend it beyond "I liked it", or accept that others will probably think you're a bit mad :) In the end, Howie is wrong about his list, but being wrong will not stop him from enjoying the films in the way he enjoys them. No argument of story, character development, direction, etc. can ever change his mind. This isn't a problem, it's just one of those things and he shall ever be "that guy with the Ewok avatar" ;)

Just thought it might have been some weird nostalgia for the originals idea, even though someone in their 20's these days is a prime candidate for having grown up with the prequels in cinema.

No, because it isn't an excuse. Well, not really... I grew up in the 70's and my Grandfather would put on films to watch. Bogart stuff mostly, but also early Westerns. Things from 30 years before I was even born. My Father showed me the stuff he loved as a teen. Steve McQueen films, Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns, cheap sci-fi B-movies - all kinds of stuff.

I continued to adore the films of my generation too though. Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Tron (bugger off Witchfinder :p ) and anything kind of Spielberg/big budget through the late 70's and early/mid 80's. When I started to really get into watching films though, I found that the stuff my Grandfather and Father had me watch more than stood up to the test f time. The Maltese Falcon is better than the Goonies. It's not as fun or as memorable, but it IS better. Two Mules for Sister Mary is better than Young Guns, All About Eve better than Pretty in Pink, Magnificent Seven is not better than Star Wars ;)

The point is, nostalgia does play a part and what you see first certainly influences you. However, we owe it to ourselves to go beyond that and to see films, ride coasters, listen to music, etc. always resetting ourselves to a default state first. Pretend you have no experience, don't bring along your baggage.

So, it shouldn't make any difference if you grew up with one thing rather than others.

*A wave of the hand*
Move along.

This was the post you were looking for! :p

No offence taken. In case you were wondering.

I wasn't, but now I know I'm a bit disappointed. I'll try harder in future :p

jj23w

Hyper Poster
New Star Wars trailer out so happy I stayed awake for It and omg it was worth it. It has a much deeper darker vibe like I love it.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Okay, wow, um, that trailer was really good. Like, this seems like an actual movie. It doesn't seem just like a soulless product. This is either genius marketing, or this may end up being good, maybe even great. I'm most excited for Kylo Ren actually receiving a character. Adam Driver is a fantastic actor, so he should sell it. John Boyega also has been giving great performances lately, so I hope he does well. I'm not entirely sold on Daisy Ridley to be completely honest; she seemed like the weakest link here. I also hated the "You are the strongest I've ever seen." I mean, geez, does Rey have to be able to do everything. Mark Hamill had some great deliveries as well. Overall, I'm quite excited, but I'm also aware that it will likely be another Disney Star Wars film. That's fine though.

jj23w

Hyper Poster
Revenge of the Sith
Rogue One
The Force Awakens
Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
Return of the Jedi
Attack of the Clones
Phantom Menace

Bit of a switcheroo in the OT after this years rewatch.
Just to get you all fired up again for the next one.
It's different I give you that. I actually like Revenge it was the strongest prequels but nowhere near the top. Rogue One really was boring for me Death Star and Vader were the best bits about it. But other than our list is pretty much the same.

jj23w

Hyper Poster
So went and saw The Last Jedi at midnight today and what can I say. WOW. So much better than Force Awakens really can't spoil much but there's elements of Empire played differently. Kylo and Rey are much more fleshed out characters and it's just actually really good. Don't go thinking of it as Empire. So heres my rankings now.

1. The Last Jedi
2. The Empire Strikes Back
3. The Force Awakens
4. The Return Of The Jedi
5. A New Hope
6. The Rogue One
7. The Revenge Of The Sith
8. The Phantom Menace
9. Attack Of The Clones.