What's new

"Now Showing"

Re: "Now Showing"

I find the Anchorman films perfect to watch with my blokey mates. They laugh at the slapstick/grossout humour, while I enjoy the surrealist bits. We're never laughing together though, which is quite odd, but we all love dogs, so we're all joint on routing for Baxter by the end. And the cameos in the sequel are just insane. Must get round to seeing the extended cut.

Pompeii- 9.5/10

Great movie, love how they put a historical fiction spin on such a direct event. Must-see for any other history buffs out there. I will warn, it can get bloody in parts (I didn't do too well with this) but some of the digital rendering that went into the movie was incredible. Watching the volcano destroy that authentic-looking city combined with the audio you'd get in a theater really made you feel like you were there, and some of the scenes shot inside where you could hear the cinders hitting the ceiling really shows how much sound editing went into this movie. You could tell some of the blood was fake (though most of it looked extremely realistic) and it was lacking in historical accuracy a bit here and there (though some of it was obviously irrelevant to the story), mostly the presence of lava so that hurts it, but I don't see how it got the negative reviews it got. Best thing I could compare it to would be Gladiator but it doesn't drag on like Gladiator did.

^ I want to see that despite the negative reviews, but it does look historically inaccurate and I HATE how they have to add romance to everything, eugh. But, I still might give it a go. I've always been really interested in the eruption of Vesuvius and such, being a history/classical studies major and all (well, a former history major I suppose).

Monster- Old film, but I watched it on Netflix because serial killers are interesting. I thought the movie was actually pretty good to be honest. I felt bad for Aileen and for "Selby," obviously until Aileen started killing for the sole intent of robbery and to kill. But still, she seemed touched in the head and that itself is unfortunate for her. But yeah, interesting, and I didn't know anything about her back story really so it was different insight.

300: Rise of Testosterone

Blood? Check. CGI that would make Michael Bay cream? Check. Eye candy for both men and women? Sure.

It's what one would expect, mindless blood and ridiculousness. Can't wait for the third.

I FINALLY got around to seeing Kickass yesterday. It was alright, but really not as good as I'd been led to believe to be honest. Worth a watch, but I'm in no rush to see the sequel.

I think the first kickass was great because it was so different to everything else. The sequel is dreadful though so yeah, you're best off avoiding.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Re: "Now Showing"

^ I think because I'd heard so much about it, I wasn't surprised by it and didn't find it particularly "different".

I'd probably think differently if I'd seen it when it first came out.

coreysaysyo said:
Looking forward to seeing the "Need for Speed" movie. Looks great :D I am a big fan of the Fast & Furious series, so thats why this movie intrigues me so much.

Yeah and the video game is like one of the best video games of all time. Fats and Furious sucks but this looks a LOT better.

Re:

gavin said:
^ I think because I'd heard so much about it, I wasn't surprised by it and didn't find it particularly "different".

I'd probably think differently if I'd seen it when it first came out.

I think for me the entire story was just the typical formulaic superhero rubbish. It was interesting to see "normal" people, but Watchmen got there first and Scott Pilgrim did it better.

So yeah, it was okay, but nothing to really write home about. Some decent bits here and there.

Jason Voorhees said:
coreysaysyo said:
Looking forward to seeing the "Need for Speed" movie. Looks great :D I am a big fan of the Fast & Furious series, so thats why this movie intrigues me so much.

Yeah and the video game is like one of the best video games of all time. Fats and Furious sucks but this looks a LOT better.

I remember it well... It was awful:
288785-the-need-for-speed-special-edition-dos-screenshot-inside-the.png

Or did you mean one of the other 20 games in the series, of which maybe five have been any good? And two of those (overall games) are Burnout Paradise City 2 and 3 (Most Wanted and Rivals aren't very good).

It will be leave your brain at the door drivel, no more, no less. Should get rave reviews around here ;)

I went to see The Great Beauty ( La grande bellezza) last night with a few friends since someone knew someone else and got a bunch of free tickets. It won the Oscar for best foreign film and a **** load of other awards before that.

It was long and a tad "artsy" at times (typical European cinema), but is was really, really good. The script was just really intelligent and witty (obviously relying on the skills of the the subtitle translators - some Italians in our group said that some subtleties were lost, but whatever) and it looked gorgeous as well.

Yeah, it's not something to just stick on in the background, but if you've got two and a half hours to sit down and properly watch a film, I'd highly recommend it.

I also got introduced to an excellent cinema which is literally a ten-minute walk from my house (everything here seems to a "a ten-minute walk from my house'...) that focuses on smaller, non-Hollywood films and is actually really cheap. They have an excellent book/DVD/coffe shop as well, so yay for new discoveries.

I don't think anybody's posted here about this yet and I'm a bit surprised. There was a book I read a while ago called Divergent that was really good (the second sequel was meh, the third I probably would have stopped reading had it not been the third installment in a series...and after finding out how it ended, I wish I had). Anyway, they're making a film adaptation of it, Insurgent, and Allegiant, and the first movie (Divergent) premiers at midnight this Thursday into Friday. The book was amazing and I can see it translating into a film well and I've been waiting three months to see it. If you liked Hunger Games or other stories of the nature I'd recommend seeing it.

Butglow.JPG

I don't know why I am still reading the series. Some of the poorest writing ever and just awful characters. The third book is so bad it's painful but I have to finish it to finish the series to satisfy myself. Movie will be redbox at best, especially since the characters are awful as well and I think this movie will bomb.

Anyway...
Mr. Peabody and Sherman

This had the potential to be really good, but Ty Barrell as a smart as just doesnt work for me. It's sad how many people didn't get the adult jokes because they don't know enough history. It was cute, or others would call it fun. (A saying I will never understand because I would never describe a movie as being fun.) Still better than most animated movies. Can't wait for How to Train Your Dragon 2, shall be epic.

Need For Speed

It's great, that's all I can say, it's great. It's so great, I can't explain how good it is.
The twist at the end is disappointing though.
The races in the game are like replicas of the maps in the game.
So much better than Fats and Furious.

9/10

@furie, I'm talking about Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit that came out in 2011.

Jason gives 9/10. Rotten Tomatoes average of 25%

Jason's opinion worth value currently at 0.6% :p

The grand Budapest hotel:

Decent little film telling the history of the hotel at the outbreak of ww2 - has some funny moments, a few little twists and some of the worst effects ever during a chase down snow covered mountains

4.5/5

And without fail, the audience always over scores ;)

Plus, 70%? You really think that's a good score? It's even less that Fast and the Furious :p

So, after months of fighting society's pressure to see this movie, I finally caved and watched it with my sister while my parents were at a basketball game...

Frozen
Anybody who's seen me write anything about Disney on here knows that I don't like them being the industry leaders. To me, all of their rides are polished poop. The theming is fun and all and if given a free day there I'll take it, but I don't see why the rides themselves can't be unique. Vertical drop tracks, unique elements, things like that. FireChaser Express themed out the nose, not some crappy Vekoma mine train themed out the nose. I'm a huge goon and my favorite park there is Epcot, and that says a lot in my book. Their movies are the same way. Nothing they did ever really interested me and it never really struck me as original. I did enjoy Saving Mr. Banks when I saw it last December, though.

Anyway, while I've never been TERRIBLY impressed with anything Disney did (unless it came out of Pixar, because Pixar <3 ), they really blew this one out of the water. "Let it Go" has to be the first Disney song that I actually enjoyed and some of the animated scenes were beautiful. The snowman was awesome (whoever thought of that character was a genius) and the reindeer's mannerisms reminded me SO MUCH of our Great Dane. All of my friends [strike]nagging[/strike] encouraging me to see it were right, amazing movie. 9.75/10