What's new

"Now Showing"

Cavalry

The second film from John Michael McDonagh (first was The Guard and brother of the guy behind In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths). It's very humorous throughout and then as it progresses the film becomes darker and more grim. It's a very well written film, building up characters really well and the cast really help bring them to life (though the guy from Game of Thrones had an odd accent and I found it a little off-putting). I found it to be quite a powerful film and judging from everyone else's reactions from a packed screening I wasn't alone in thinking that. I highly recommend everyone to go and see it. I eagerly anticipate his next film.

The Raid 2

I thought the first film was excellent, the action scenes were superb but I really need to re-watch it to compare it better with this one. For some reason I found the first 20-30 minutes confusing, I'm putting it down to forgetting a lot about the characters in the first film. However the fight sequences in the jail really showed what this film was all about, superb action sequences which are just mind blowing compared to everything else out there. I think a lot of the film meanders about a bit too much, trying to prove there's a good story there. It's ok but it could have been a lot better in that department. The car chase sequence and then the last 30-40 minutes of the film I pretty much had my mouth wide open and involuntarily made audible reactions to soooo many things that happen in the fights. I wasn't alone in this, everyone was doing it. Never seen anything like it before, it was just so gory and intense and gripping. When they get hit it doesn't look fake, they look like they're in real pain and I think a lot of this is down to the great camera work and sound editing. There's a fight sequence in a kitchen towards the end which was just insane, it goes on for what feels like ages, I felt like I needed to take a time out by the end of it, just so intense for the entire duration of that scene.

If you can get to a screening of this film, do it!

The films I have seen lately:

The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Not what I thought it was going to be surprised me that Jamie Foxx played voltron and isn't voltron originally shocker.

Re: "Now Showing"

Went to see captain America 2.

Was an ok film no where near as great as people made it out to be.

The action was good but the film had some really slow parts and it all just went on way to long.

Cap America 2

Saw it twice, first time missed the ending as I was getting some slut's revenge, so I went and saw it with my nephew, and I feel it is the best Marvel film to date. It's not ridiculous with action (to an extent but not over bearing) and felt more like an action thriller than a comic book movie. Yeah the final fight bit was ridiculous, but lean back and eat some popcorn.

Rio 2

I was feeling bad because my niece was sad she didn't get to see a movie with me, so I took her to see it last night. Another if you cut down a tree you should die type move, aka Fern Gully with birds. It's such an overplayed theme. We get it, don't cut down the trees, all developers are the devil. Ignoring that, it was cute. Jesse Eisenberg is a ****.

Saving Mr. Banks

Wanted to see it for a while, and I was surprised at what it was. It's about a miserable bitch who doesn't want to give away her life's work. Tom Hanks was very good, and it was a solid movie.

Ride Along

Saw Kevin Hart on Jim Rome's Showtime last month and I gained a bit of respect for him since he wasn't a total douche and was sharing all he did to get where he is, which was nice to hear. Anyways, it was awful, but pretty funny at points.

jj23w said:
The films I have seen lately:

The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Not what I thought it was going to be surprised me that Jamie Foxx played voltron and isn't voltron originally shocker.

You mean Electro right?

I saw The Amazing Spider-Man 2 today in 3D. I loved the first one in this relaunch of the franchise. I love the casting and everything. This sequel was good but I feel like it failed in so many places. It felt like it was too distracted in trying to rush some of the other storylines like the Osborne family. It was all rather confused and rushed. The 3D was good though and the visual effects were definitely better than in the previous instalment (I thought the Lizard looked awful).

Oh and the mid-credits scene was so random and like, how did that even come about??? Marvel is really stretching the whole studio boundaries, I think that's exciting.

"Now Showing"

I'm confused by the marvel films tbh. For me they are all following the same patten, they are all very similar and lacking something that can make them stand out like the Batman films.

They are all watchable but they are far from as amazing as people are making out.

For me captain America two was just iron man 2 with a different hero.

I've been let down by all of them so far.

Sound like spider man 2 is suffering like spider man 3, too many villains.

Yh that guy electro I was concerned on rhino, Marc Spider-Man has got the treatment of spider man 3 just imagine the next Spider-man I want kingpin next. Marvel is confusing but still awesome than DC.

"Now Showing"

Don't get me wrong dc films are no better apart from the Batman ones.

It's just everyone is **** over the marvel films and I'm just not getting why. The effects are ok, the stories are far to drawn out and the films are just far too long.

marc said:

It's just everyone is **** over the marvel films and I'm just not getting why. The effects are ok, the stories are far to drawn out and the films are just far too long.

Batman films are much longer than any of the Marvel films, and if we are talking about the recent Batman story, it was just as drawn out and ridiculous.

Marvel is inching towards the Civil War story line, and the mid credit scene in the new Spiderman is proof of that. Marc Webb is still under contract with Fox (or was when he signed on to do the Spiderman films) and part of the agreement was they would cross promote in end credit scenes.

Every Marvel big wig has eluded that they would eventually like to do the Civil War storyline. The likelihood is nearly impossible, as you would have to get Fox, Sony, and Disney all to agree to do a set of movies together, because they would stretch it out. The amount of money that would be spent would be just stupid.

Big problems already are they will either have to recast Captain America and Iron Man, or recast them. Chris Evans has stated constantly he's done when the contract ends (after Cap 3) and RDJ doesn't wanna continue doing Iron Man. Money talks though, so who knows.

marc said:

Batman films are much longer than any of the Marvel films, and if we are talking about the recent Batman story, it was just as drawn out and ridiculous.

Marvel is inching towards the Civil War story line, and the mid credit scene in the new Spiderman is proof of that. Marc Webb is still under contract with Fox (or was when he signed on to do the Spiderman films) and part of the agreement was they would cross promote in end credit scenes.

Every Marvel big wig has eluded that they would eventually like to do the Civil War storyline. The likelihood is nearly impossible, as you would have to get Fox, Sony, and Disney all to agree to do a set of movies together, because they would stretch it out. The amount of money that would be spent would be just stupid.

Big problems already are they will either have to recast Captain America and Iron Man, or recast them. Chris Evans has stated constantly he's done when the contract ends (after Cap 3) and RDJ doesn't wanna continue doing Iron Man. Money talks though, so who knows.

I think the difference between DC and Marvel is very much "action" against "character".

That's not to dismiss the depth of character in Marvel comics, but they're very much action, gadgets and big baddies - they're popcorn comics.

DC (Detective Comics ;) ) are more about background, depth of story and complex character portrayals. It comes across in the films too as very different. DC films are very similar to any kind of normal film - only they have super heroes. I find they're like films like The Usual Suspects, or Ronin or whatever.

The Marvel stuff is all about huge action sequences and the hero having to somehow overcome the massive obstacle and challenge presented by some kind of super power - evil - greater than theirs. It's quite childlike, but lovely.

I've just watched the final Agents of Shield and the tie in with Captain America 2 is sublime. The way Disney have approached the whole thing is actually quite impressive. Actually, I'll say very impressive. It's still quite simple and obvious to me that's the way it should all be, but the fact there's an arc between everything, yet each film/series is independent is actually brilliant. Paint me finally impressed - even if individually it often doesn't hang together well.

I liked CA2 for the same reason I thought the Batman films were good. They weren't just action sequences randomly stuck together but there was a degree of intrigue too. It ended on the huge popcorn thing, but it got there quite cleverly. It misses the darkness of Batman, but it's still a solid film, mixing an attempt at intrigue and action.

Anyway, to kind of continue, Spiderman...

I enjoyed it. I like the reboot, and it works really well as a Spiderman universe for me. I like the fact Disney have forced Sony to up their game and look at the bigger picture.

I thought that the Green Goblin storyline was good, but too rapid, and it conflicted too much with the Electro story. It seemed forced and rushed at times. However, I think it worked well all together. It was similar (in story and mix of enemies) to the Batman films. I think it's good they leaned from Nolan there.

I didn't find it confused with too many baddies, but laying down a great future plot for the series. I love Spiderman and love the arc they are laying down for him. I found it worked really well - but... It's still just another super hero movie, and they're all very similar. It's frustrating really trying to fit such similar plots into a movie template, but they're getting there. It was money and time well spent in my opinion.

tomahawKSU said:
Saving Mr. Banks

Wanted to see it for a while, and I was surprised at what it was. It's about a miserable bitch who doesn't want to give away her life's work. Tom Hanks was very good, and it was a solid movie.

furie said:
I thought it was a brilliant tale of a strong, determined woman who was slowly battered, beaten and tricked into accepting the fate of something she loved in a tragic end to mirror the death of her ideals. This mirrored the tragedy of the death of her father - a tale told mixed in with the film.

The film carries you on a journey of hope for this woman, only to have it all dashed at the end as she is destroyed by the cajoling of the Americans who simply don't understand... Anything!

It's a sad tale - poignant - and a stark reminder never to trust film makers (or others) with your prized ideas.

Worth 9/10 simply for Emma Thompson. It lost a mark for the schmaltzy house building with the driver bit which marked the end of the character as a true grit hero.

I suspect the way you view the film is definitely dependant on which side of the Atlantic you live on :)

"Now Showing"

Yes I think that's it Furie.

DC is more about the investigation rather than blow everything up.

I just prefer more development and them trying to work things out without all the need for cgi every other scene.

The marvel films are very watchable but to me they are just not as good as people keep saying so I always feel let down.

Spiderman 2 was fab. And mostly because of character rather than action. Garfield's Tennant 10th Doctor-like energy is a real joy to behold on the big screen!

The film is probably a solid 8/10 but he was an 11!

Re: "Now Showing"

The Grand Budapest Hotel

Really good movie. Funny and exciting. Probably one of the best films I've seen in a while. The style was incredible. It was like it came out of a miniature world. The Bell Boy was hilarious and some secondary characters are even funnier than the primary characters. Well made.

10/10

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

"Now Showing"

Worst kept secret ever the original cast are back for the next Star Wars film :). It's confirmed now.

That wasn't ever a secret? It was confirmed a few months ago I thought.

I'm really happy they went with a relatively unknown cast. Andy Serkis is biggest name and that just suggests he will be some form of creature.