What's new

Krake - B&M dive machine for Heide Park

Lets all wake up and smell the humus.

A water splash is now B&M's tried and tested design and I'm sure they've thought of all variants. I mean, couldn't you just have a simple side drain to stop the water level from reaching any higher thus affecting the train in any way?

Yes you can!

Simple really when you actually think about it. Isn't it.

UC I see what you mean but just of late they do seem to be pushing it a bit more. 1st flyer with a full loop, raptor, this a new type of DM.

A lot of people have complained that older B&M's are more thrilling than newer ones so maybe they are just trying new things. These new ideas would have been tested well or b&m would not allow them to be built.

Just giving my views tbh right or wrong, I have taken on board what you have said as well.

UC said:
Are you intentionally missing the point to give you an excuse to post, or are you really just that thick?

Thick?

Nah, I didn't bother to read what you wrote as it all came across in your last post as "I'll-pretend-to-know-it-all..." Your posts are not accurate in this case and I was just spurting something out as a possibility for a simple resolution to this matter.

UC said:
Just curious. Been wondering it ever since you sat on that stick a few years ago and left it there.

No, I'm waiting for you to give the stick back. Probably wont ever see it as it's probably petrified by now.

200t_kran_hebt_letzte_schiene.jpg

The immelman and air-time hill look significantly smaller than the drop.

Show me the LAST sexual comment... I think my few months absence from CF means my comments are rendered invalid. Find a recent one.

I threw in quite a decent comment to challenge your post. Kinda means I understood THAT SINGLE POST, not the entire topic. Hard to grasp? Seems apparent in your case.

Good boy, sit, stay, have a bone.

Everything I say with relevance, is relevant. I don't have to fit into your typical ass-lick member to be wrong, right or even valid, the fact is, is that I joined in and you're too uptight to take on a strong suggestion because you're always right.

I don't exactly go looking for gourmet meals in the dumpster.

Trouble is though, you do. Anything for a mudsling to prove you're next in line to shag the sow.

I actually find my comments rather humorous. I don't need to clean my act for the likes of you as at the end of the day, its a forum, mud slinging and jest is all part of it and if you're taking it to heart then more fool you.

My last comment was relevant so I thought I'd post it. Ok blunt, but I am blunt, even to the point of rude, but I am me.

I just wanna join in with the sweep stake and say I think it's going to have a semi-enclosed water interaction element. I think it's likely a splash down, it looks like one, but it probably goes about it in a completely different way to all the others. I can't see it being like Manta, if they bothered to make a pool that looks exactly like the regular splashdowns....

It wouldn't surprise me if it's not as well themed around that drop as it should be.

It would surprise me if the water interaction bit isn't at least partially exposed, due to Merlin's obsession with non-rider interaction.

Does it have to make sense that you drop into the mouth of the kraken and almost immediately end up outside? No. Nor is it likely that they will construct the level of architecture around there necessary to make that so.

I wasn't aware Merlin owned Heide... If that is the case, then this will probably have one of these faces around the drop.

httpimagesencyclopediadramaticacomimagescc2SHOOP_kitpng-IMMA-CHARGIN-MAH-LAZER_large.jpg

Which admittedly would be awesome!

However, I still cannot logically understand why you would want to put such a thing right in the beginning of the coaster.

Why not? all the cool kids are doing it. :lol:

Couple of theories.

Space?. A splash takes a certain amount of linear space, and the train has to also negotiate the pull out of the immelmann, which also takes up space. So having the straight water splash puts the immelmann back far enough to then fit the airtime hill on the trip back.

The other reason could be for the thematic intentions. Eg they might want the dramatic effect of the train emerging from the arse crack of the krake with a burst of spray. Marrying the elements together so to speak.

I mean, yeah I'd perhaps put the water splash after the Immelmann just to avoid losing too much of the speed, and redesign the rest of the layout accordingly.

I don't see how the outcome of Diamondback has anything to do with Krake...? Not exactly the most intelligent of judgments...
My point was more on the page of the topic where you were saying "This rectangular thing probably isn't a water splash. It's gotta be something else etc."

I mean on this ride it clearly has to be a water splash. If they were doing a fake manta style one they wouldnt bother with a trench that interrupts the body of water/costs extra/looks unnatrual for no good reason. As was said earlier, if you wanted to go close to the water, you could just build a section of track like this: http://www.coasterforce.com/images/park ... hsfog7.JPG

Something like this, on the other hand:

http://www.rcdb.com/557.htm?p=3316

Makes a hell of a lot more sense in this case. There's plenty of space for it, and you could make some really neat effects with it that no train would be able to reproduce.
That doesn't need a trough though, does it? So why have they built one on Krake? For the benefit of the six riders in the outside seats who would get closer to the water than otherwise?

Besides, the scoop system is largely maintenance free isn't it? Doesn't require multiple pumps to operate in unison.

Yes! A water trim is definately not an unreliable form of braking, as long as the water level remains constant, which is easily monitered. It also doesn't take off that much speed! SheiKra and Griffon may have bukier trains, but an 18 seater is still fairly bulky, and from the picture, the splash is definitely shorter. To me, it all adds up nicely.

Agreed. So long as the water level is kept the same (which is easy) and the temperature is monitored (Since that would effect the density of the water) then you could accurately model how its going to behave each and every time.

When they design rides they have set parametes it can operate in right? So just do your calculations with the water temperature in these same ranges, and you'd be able to predict the range of speeds it will hit.

One thing that could back it up for not being a physical splashdown, is cost.

Why pay the extra cost of having a larger lift and drop, with a physical splash, when a shorter lift and drop, with a visual splash would be much more cost effective?

^Actually I think it is just a trough:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=iv ... z7JR435sL4

It enters it at about 1.41, and I can't see anything it could hit. Mind you, I'm basing this off the YT video, I've never seen the ride in real life.

Somehow that's what I'm envisaging Krake doing, something to that effect.

Oh well if we're taking bets I'm going to play too!

b9g02x.jpg

I lose :(

But its nice to dream

Is the trough deep enough to hide the train entirely? If they can get most of the train below water level then that would work out quite well with a seamonster body above, since to everyone watching there would seemingly be no possible way the train could fit through without being underwater

^Presumably though there's nothing to say it's not just like SheiKra without the fins? It could just have it so that only the wheel assembly is running underneath the water-level, giving the impression of the train 'riding' over the surface of the water.

I can't remember where I saw an overhead photo, but the trough didn't seem particulary deep or wide.

And BaM floorless trains sit rather high above the track

But returning to the physical water splash, you wouldn't have to surrender half as much momentum if you used some sort of blade rather than a solid tube surely

263wv95.jpg

I realise putting something on the wheel bogey like that is probably completely off-limits and rediculous, but I'm mostly suggesting the shape and size of the actual water feature rather than its placement.

Just skimming the surface and throwing water laterally

^ I can imagine a splash like that on this ride... it gives the impression that the entire train just splashed through the water, instead of looking like they have water jets on the back.

it's a natural brake you cannot have 100% control over placed at the very beginning of the ride.

This is the thing I don't understand about your argument.

Why is a water brake considered unreliable in your eyes? This isn't a log flume, so it's not a floating boat, so the weight of the riders isn't going to effect how much braking there is as it's running on rails that keep the scoops at the same depth for every run. Yes there will be a variation in weight/momentum, but if the viscosity of the water and surface area of the scoops remains the same, there shouldn't be any more variation in braking than an eddy current brake!

B&M may have put these at the end of the rides, not because it takes off too much speed, but because they wanted to try it out with lower speeds. This would be the first time we see the splash being used at a higher speed, but that's not as outlandish as you're suggesting as we've already see a number of low speed ones work successfully. The only reason we don't see this form of trim-braking mid-ride a lot is because it requires a lot more room and construction as opposed to simple eddy current trims.