What's new

Krake - B&M dive machine for Heide Park

^ it won't be a manta/incredible hulk-style water effect, as that involves the train going nowhere near as close to the water, you'd see pipes where the track goes, there woud also be no need for the long straight track. If you look closely at the aerial picture too, the track is clearly encased in the concrete trough, it's not simply hovering over it. Also, the trough is INDENTICAL to Diamondback's!

If it were the water effect, there'd just be footers in the water, not this mass on concrete.

I'm simply saying that I find it incredibly hard to believe they're going to put in an actual physical splashdown before the second largest element on the ride, especially seeing as how this coaster is going to have smaller-than-normal trains on it.

Look at the size of the immelman and air-time hill though, they're significanty smaller than the drop, I doubt B&M would let the trains take them at the full speed of the drop.

tsh.jpg

This is a company that reportedly shies away from launches because they're considered "unreliable," and that routinely adds mounts for trim brakes in to its ride track "just in case." And you're telling me they'd do something like this?

Yes! A water trim is definately not an unreliable form of braking, as long as the water level remains constant, which is easily monitered. It also doesn't take off that much speed! SheiKra and Griffon may have bukier trains, but an 18 seater is still fairly bulky, and from the picture, the splash is definitely shorter. To me, it all adds up nicely.

So basically I guessed right when I said...
Mark said:
I suppose it depends on what you class as a proper 'splash-down' and what is simply a water effect...
...then. :p

Mark said:
So basically I guessed right when I said...
Mark said:
I suppose it depends on what you class as a proper 'splash-down' and what is simply a water effect...
...then. :p

I like it when essays conform to the word limit....... The example above my post and after the sample copy quoted however is FAR too long to be an enjoyable read. And even less so, because it deviates MASSIVELY from the point at hand.

I'm liking the look of this ride, doesn't do too much and hopefully when the theming is up, it shall be almost as psychologically daunting as Oblivion :) .

Edging ever nearer to completion:

http://tinyurl.com/6kj7jfq

It’s certainly possible to calculate the friction of a water splash. They could always install mechanical trims to compensate for a change in friction (based on the previous lap time) and pumps to control the water level if needed. It’s fairly simple control logic, but I guess we’ll see.

Really it looks like it could go either way.
I'm leaning more towards the physical interaction of the train with the water, but maybe with additional untethered water features to add to the impact

UC said:
Krake is only 135 ft. tall. That immelman looks roughly the size of Big Loop, right? So let's put it at 95 ft. tall. That makes a rough 40 ft. difference in height between it and the first drop.

That's rather specific maths to back up your argument considering you judged it by eye from a photo by comparing it to something in the distance

And as for claiming a 20 - 25 % reduction in speed in a water splash just because the others do it...

It could have thinner spouts,

a single Spout,

six spouts,

a simple fin,

ballast to make the train heavier than it looks,

a scoop with a lesser angle,

an entire bulldozer scoop on the front,

Soooooo many potentially unlimited design variations we have no information on- soooooo many reasons not to argue because you think it might be done a certain way

^ You actually have an extremely good point. What's saying the actual "Water Splash" Element on the train, "Scoop" a I call it, hasn't been re-designed for this coaster?

UC, Remember when you were doubtful that Diamondback had a water splash, and made a few excuses as to why it wouldn't work:
http://www.coasterforce.com/forums/view ... t&start=14

So judging by the final outcome on that attraction, I'm gonna say that Krake will have a water splash too ....Sorry UC! :lol:

They'll have thought of a way to make it work early in the ride.

168936_497483931628_120907856628_5978479_7363291_n.jpg

So the top is going in...

Just thinking, most other watersplash's are taken at slower speeds, yeah? This will hit it at around about 60mph. Its gonna be like dropping a brick in a pond and the water will resist hard. Surely? Unless the scoops are thin...

Whilst I do agree with what you're saying UC, you are managing to be a bit of a dick about it. Don't be so patronising.

I don't see this being a fully-fledged water splash, but if it is, then I'm not going to feel bad about it.

You have to remember, B&M are trying out some interesting elements this year, with Raptor and Star-whatever-Ripper.

A vertical drop into a water splash isn't as out-there as UC is making out.

I expect something slightly different from the previous water splashes, in terms of scoop shape etc. But I definitely feel all the evidence adds up to there being one there.

UC said:
Whilst I do agree with what you're saying UC, you are managing to be a bit of a dick about it. Don't be so patronising.

Care to explain?

It's fairly obvious that all I'm doing is explaining my viewpoint here. If you're going to force me to explain it the same way six times, it's going to come across as patronizing.
I just think you could be a little less aggressive about it. It might not be what you mean, but it's certainly reading like that.

UC said:
I just think you could be a little less aggressive about it. It might not be what you mean, but it's certainly reading like that.

I apologize if I've hurt your feelings, Hixee. I hope this won't jeopardize my entry in to the SuperFriends Club. :smilecolros:

"I just know that if we work together, one day, order will come to the world, and everyone will join hands and sing songs of peace and joy. That is my mission." - Hixee
Ha.

Pathetic.

Edit: Oh, I like the sig too, you said it far better than I ever could've. ****.

UC said:
Almost as much as your incessant whining about how "mean" someone is on an internet forum.
Incessant whining? Like, two posts? Good one.

How have I implied you were being mean?!

Hixee said:
I'll quote you, it might help:
UC said:
I feel as though some reading lessons are in order.
;)

This is going to sound a little stupid now, but I'm looking at it like it's a generic water ride with an inversion? It could be dubbed as a water coaster to some extent, I mean the GP would look at it like they'd look at Hydro (don't kill me...), just a big drop into water, but with the addition of an Immelmann to season it all off :) It would've been cool to disguise the Dive Machine as more of a water coaster, with a water section before the lift, it'd add more character at least.

I can't quite get my head around this to be honest.

That flat bit of track after the drop is really odd. See...

It was meant to be themed originally, yeah? So you dive down the Krake's throat and I assume out of it's arse? The flat track, if it's out of the theming seems to be a silly place to put a water splash. The monster would cover it maybe?

However, it's pretty much identical to the water splash on Griffon, so I can see why that is really the obvious conclusion people are drawing. If it looks like a goat, smells like a goat and bleets like a goat... It's probably a goat ;)

See, there's no reason otherwise for the flat track. One of the great things about dive machines is the high G on the pull out of the drop. Weightless, then bam!

Having the straight track to "cover the theming" is wrong.

"Stengel, we need you to design the coaster around a big plastic squid that doesn't exist yet - this may mean that you have to have large sections of flat, straight track to meet our demands"

"Couldn't you work the squid around a good coaster design, rather than crippling our design with your theming?"

"Nope, our minds are made up, the theming is much more important than the ride quality!"

Just doesn't add up. The coaster wouldn't flatten out that way just to pass through theming. They certainly didn't cock up and have the track drop too far so it couldn't go lower than the water level and they had to put a bit of flat in there.

I know that there's the whole "the water splash is unpredictable" issue which also doesn't make sense (and not in the context of the theming either really). However, there's no other good reason for that flat track - even an "effect" rather than a realtime splashdown.

It's all just very silly... So it's wait and see time :)