What's new

Intimidator 305 - Kings Dominion Giga coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ And Diamondback hit $5,000 with corporate sponsored chairs.

i305pullthrough006.jpg

Pull through has begun.. and.. I see a lack of those traditional OTSR's.. even though it isn't a lot of evidence.

^^ It's almost impossible to differentiate if it will be the old metal/plastic or the new fabric shoulder straps on that image. But it will be some kind of OSTR on it...

It's also really nice to see that they finally have started with the pull-through...

02-16-10-034.jpg

Hmmmm....

02-16-10-033.jpg

Thought I'd just add this. Only two new ones.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z19tZH9IjtI[/youtube]
*squeals*

I thought this would've been more exciting but yeah! coastercrew!

Yes, while I agree you cannot tell between the two types, unless my eyes are deceiving me or the quality is just THAT bad.. the straps don't look as apparent as they have on past Intamin's with solid straps. I recall, but can't find atm, a photo of KK at the same angle where you can clearly see the straps. Albeit, KK's are orange and these are most likely black, you should still be able to see something.

Time will tell I guess.

What's the difference between the solid straps and the fabric straps? I've only been on rita and stealth, so I'm guessing those were... they were bendy, so I don't even know what type they were.

If it's any help, this is the vehicle description written up on KD's website.

Four passenger open design trains with overhead lap bar with shoulder straps

The safety belt is the clue. Normaly with the strap types (both Tornado and Stealth/Rita alike), they have the upper clip fixed to the restraint itself, as one solid piece. This, they have it all fabric, suggesting it needs movement, i.e for the restraint to move inwards. I think that top clip will be mounted to the lap bar of the restraint. They have shown enough in that picture to say they is no lower fixings for the shoulder straps to connect to ether.

Unless half the restraint hasn't been fitted yet, I could say this is strapless. Just have to wait and see.

I don't really see the difference. They still look like the uncomfortable shoulder straps on rita.

Going back to that huge segway I had with UC, I guess the two things that would resolve it would be if they made their corners smoother - On stealth I find those restraints fine, but on rita, the corners are very shaky, not rough, but it feels as if your neck vibrates to some sort of resonance as you take each corner - you tense, it stops pumping, your neck hits one side, you stop tensing, it pumps, your neck hits the other side.

The other thing would be to have the straps just that tiny bit shorter. I'm a big person, but the restraints still leave a massive distance between, horizontally them and my neck, vertically them and my shoulders. This means it's very easy for my neck to rattle around in them... And I'm one of the larger people. If they somehow let you adjust the straps, so that they came down firmly onto your shoulders, your neck would never hit them. Or maybe make the straps slightly thicker so when your neck does hit them, it doesn't cut in so much.

But yeah, I don't see the difference between the new ones and the old ones. Plus, when tornado was built, I remember reading reviews of it saying it was crap and rough.

Haha yay, I'm excited!

And honestly I'm not even bothered about the restraints. I'd prefer lap bars, but the OTSR's give better airtime sometimes though, so that'd be a plus.

^To simulate where the riders will be and the height and width that needs to be cleared if they put their hands up etc.
It's basically to check clearance.

Oh ok thanks - I thought it was to test how much air resistance might slow it down by.

If anyone makes a nolimits recreation of this ride, I reckon they should call it Imitator 305 :p

Ben said:
Yeah, all I've heard about the "new" ones is they also suck

You've heard right. If anything, they're actually a bit worse, though that's probably down to the coaster (Tornado) itself.

All of this talk of shoulder harness installation sent me digging, and intriguingly enough, Cedar Point had complete OTSRs installed for their pull through of Maverick.

MVT122.jpg

So...yeah.

Kind of off-topic, but does someone mind explaining to me how they do a pull-through?

I should probably know but I guess I don't read CF enough

Status
Not open for further replies.