What's new

Intimidator 305 - Kings Dominion Giga coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that Griffon hits the brakes slower but it also doesn't stop as quickly as an Intamin would. It glides down the magnets then hits the friction brakes. And yes, it is a smoother stop. Intamins tend to be really quick, which often isn't quite as comfortable.

Well the main difference between Griffon (and other Dive Machines) and other coasters (with longer trains) are that there is less braking power/weight on the DM, meaning that it will slow down more gently.

UC said:
It really wouldn't make a difference - on continuous strips, I believe it's the initial deceleration that causes the forward jolt of your body - after that, there is no acceleration/deceleration (because the ratio of braking to forward motion by the train is direct, so once the initial jolt hits there is a constant deceleration and thus no force felt by your body [when Acceleration=constant, it can be taken as A=0, and F=MA where A=0 means F=0]). In this respect, spacing the brake fins out may actually increase the need for the OTSRs, because you'd actually be constantly accelerating/decelerating as you hit each strip of brakes, instead of the single, initial jolt the continuous strip gives.

I don't believe no one's picked you up on this bit. It's almost totally incorrect.

Yes, I do agree that braking in jerky motions will be more uncomfortable for the rider, but that's for a different reason.

You said, when acceleration = constant, a=0. There is a big different between constant and nought. 1 million is a constant, 0 is 0.

Acceleration is the rate of change of speed over time. If acceleration is 0, there is a constant (but not necessarily 0) value of speed, and a 0 value of acceleration.

What you are talking about is change in acceleration. If change in acceleration = 0, then acceleration will be constant, but not necessarily 0.

And since acceleration is constant, and in the case of brakes, not 0, then there's always some acceleration, so there's always force until you have reached a constant speed, whereupon the forces will be in equilibrium (but not 0, because you still have upthrust counterbalancing gravity).

Basically, constants are not always 0. Sorry if I sounded patronizing by taking so long over it, it just annoyed the future mechanical engineer in me :p

I do agree though, that a change in acceleration can make it even more uncomfortable, because each time there is a change, your body has to tense to cope with the new level of acceleration.

-------------------------------------------------------
...onto the topic of why I don't like the OTSR's

Basically, I'd prefer corkscrew's restraints to intamin's. The foam shoulder straps cut into my neck on rita (the only ride I've been on with them on) which made the roughness feel really bad. I have to wrench the foam away from my neck each time I go on that, and it's because there's a space between my neck and the foam, allowing my head to rattle around more between it. Also, the lap bar component is completely flat, and somehow manages to kill almost any sensation of airtime I get from the hills on rita.

And I even thought of some other solutions (apart from replacing them with corkscrew's restraints!

1) Impurify the magnets - basically what everyone else has said, decrease the amount of anti magnetic material in the brakes so that there is not so much force in braking.

2) A different type of harness, like 'under the shoulder', so around your torso, would stop your chest flying forwards but not restrict your arms or head.

3) A sloped brake run. This is already seen a tiny bit on rita, but is angled downwards, so that the train will not stop on the track or roll backwards. For the start of the brake run, use brakes positioned in an upwards slope. The advantage is that a 2g deceleration at horizontal, would become a (2-1) 1g deceleration at vertical, or in between, at an angle x, 2g - g sin x. So less force felt, for the same amount of deceleration, and then once the train has crested the brake hill, use slower brakes to bring it to a stop. Sort of like an exaggerated version of kingda ka's brakes, with more of the brake on the up section.

Wow, long post.

Just before I leave it, there's always one question that's been bugging me - Do parks use the electrical current generated from the ant magnetic brakes to help launch the next ride? If not why not. They could save so much energy and power, as launch coasters are pretty power consuming.

^ The only cases where they use power from the braking for the launch is on Superman The Escape and Tower of Terror, only because they use LSM technology for both propulsion and braking. A normal magnetic brake that is found on coaster is a passive system, and not one that induces a current in a way that you can use it.
If they had used coils as the "brake-sword" then there would have been a chance to be able to use the power generated (the way LSM work).

I learned it in 7th grade.. but like 95% of the stuff from K-12.. it doesn't apply to my everyday life so I conveniently blocked it out.

http://www.intimidator305.com/public/latest/gallery/

02-10-10_003.jpg

Looks like praying for the straps might not have worked.. seemingly standard Intamin OTSR's right there. BUT.. we can't get a clear shot..

^ The ZacSpins have the exact same system as all the other "new" Intamin OSTR design, the only difference is that the Vertical bar is located closest to the track on all seats, and not between the seats as is the usual fashion. It's probably because it won't block the inner seat as much as if the vertical bar would have been between the seats.

Looks like it will have the same strap type as the ZacSpins and tornado have, not that pleasant in the neck area...

^ The only difference is the straps, it looks the same from behind, either it will have the old metal ones with rubber on the outside or the updated ones that have "softer" fabric straps.

I would go for the new that are made by fabric since they will fit the "theme" a lot better than the other ones...

Horray! I corrected UC on something! And thanks for correcting me on the velocity/speed thing, it may be pedantic but it'll sure help getting that right in my uni interview on tuesday :D

Can you tell me the problems with my suggestions for reducing strain from deceleration? I know it's completely off topic, but I'd like to know, especially as I think my idea of under the shoulder restraints would actually be really quite comfortable

Ok thanks. I get what you mean about the brake runs having to be longer for point 1.

For the restraints, to get an idea of what I'm thinking of, when you next have a shower, bring a big towel and wrap it around so that the top covers your chest, but the bottom covers your crotch.... Lovely imagery.... It'd basically be like a B+M flyer, or that material, but clasping horizontally around your body like a ribcage. Elastic so one size fits all...

And for the brakes, if you decelerate at 40m/s/s uphill, you'll feel roughly the same amount of force as if you decelerate at 20m/s/s vertically downhill, because of the effect of gravity... but then you have a train at the top of a big hill.

I was thinking of taking the edge off the train by decelerating it on an upwards slope from eg 80mph to 50mph, and then having a gentle slope downwards to gradually slow it down. Plus, if you have the brake run on a hill, not only the length of track needed could be reduced, but the footprint will be reduced.

And why use the complicated restraints? Because if guests can't enjoy the restraints because they feel uncomfortable, there's not much point in building the ride as a ride, sure it will attract guests as an icon to the park, and sure the guests who can live with the roughness or don't get it so much will feel happy, but for those who do, the ride won't be worth anything and even if they don't post their reviews on a forum, they will likely spread their opinions by word of mouth.

Ok cheers. I get the points, and I agree with them to an extent, but not totally. The guests might have a problem with the restraints, but not bring it up with the park staff, especially if it's only uncomfortable and not actually causing injury. I still think that whereas it would be a lot of trouble to design new restraints, and if they're complicated, a lot of trouble to use them, it's also going to a lot of trouble to build a massive ride, only to have that ride dubbed 'good' instead of 'great!' because of some minor flaw in the restraint system.

Also, the ride wouldn't really be spoilt by a brake hill, because you could emphasize that 'the ride' is the rest of it apart from the brakes - no one really remembers how the train slows down, they just remember the rest of the ride.

But yeah, I agree with you that my ideas are creative but not realistic. That happens to me a lot. In fact it's why I want to go into engineering - I get all these crazy ideas but I don't have the tools to research them/ make them realistic / put them into practice...

PS. I've just had another solution idea for it, but I think this time it's gone past sensible but not realistic and into silly-

Use a giant vertical spike with vertical holding brakes (like on vekoma tilt coasters, then have the pullout track switch from the track it'd just come from to a pull out onto the launch track, then decelerate the train with the riders facing backwards, just like a rollback, thus butting the stress from deceleration onto their back, which is spread over a comfy backrest and headrest.

Thanks a load for that advice! I took graphic products and until now I never really understood the importance of all the paperwork. Plus you've got me thinking about how I could improve these ideas... Sorry to all the people reading this expecting to see something on topic though :p

I would say though, I wasn't continuing to push forth the same ideas in my mind, I was just trying to get my ideas across and each time I thought you had misunderstood me. Therefore I need to work on evaluating my ideas AND communicating them better...

Status
Not open for further replies.