What's new

Intimidator 305 - Kings Dominion Giga coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
LiveForTheLaunch said:
This however is a waste...

Kay, nobody can call it a waste or say in a surefire manner that "this ride is going to suck". You can say "I think I am a bit disappointed by it and don't THINK it will ride as good as I hoped", but to say matter-of-factly that it will suck or is a waste, makes you look stupid, because NOBODY here has ridden the thing. Hell, I thought Maverick looked like a waste when it was first installed at Cedar Point.. Boy was I wrong, and I hope this is another case of "looks disappointing, but rides good".

I totally agree. I don't think this coasters THAT disappointing. Granted I was expecting more, it still looks rideable. KD next year for me!!! :p

SnooSnoo said:
As Lance at Screamscape pointed out.. I don't think that the OTSR's are for the brakes.. because you are perfectly safe and comfortable on TTD hitting the brakes going 120mph.. and even with the short brake run, you won't be traveling THAT fast. Hell.. hitting the brakes on MF going 40-50mph (not 60.. jesus).. you hardly go too far forward. And even when you do, it is only for 2-3 seconds.

TTD has a pretty massive brakerun though. Having never been anywhere near CP I can't say for sure but i'd say the newer accelerator coasters definately have more powerful brakes. And the fact that its downhill throws you forwards even more (i think).

If they are to stop your upperbody moving around too much, well, they could atleast put padding on the things!

How come so many people are coming the S bends on this to the S bends on a Mega Lite? The S bends on a Mega Lite are bound to have air time due to them actually being hills, where as on this, the S bends are flat?

Or am I missing something? :?

I was going to say the same thing as you, I think there is only 1 bend that might give some airtime the rest are just direction changes.

I dont think the idea of this coaster is to give much airtime tbh, its about speed and forces.

Well the layout really reminds me of mega-lites. I also agree with most of the posts that if this was being built in the UK...it would be the best thing for most people. But I am still a bit disapointed with the layout. Dont get me wrong.....im sure theres plenty of airtime but someone mentioned trims...because that height and that layout just dont seem to match. Still.....hope it rides well too early to say I hate it.

I think that Intamin has gone with OTSLB (w/SS) on all their US-installed coasters simply because it's more difficult for the ride ops to dispatch a train with one of those horrible cages sticking up in the air unnoticed.

This helps prevent the rider ejection deaths significantly.

Ejector305, anyone?

;)
;)
;)

This forum is full of crap! apart from the people getting excited about this ride.
It's just so ridiculous comments like "it's a waste", "what a disappointment" etc etc.
It's the 3rd Giga coaster ever built!
It has a layout similar to the raved mega-lites
A 300ft drop straight into a turn!!!!!!

What is there not to get excited about?
What a good bunch of 'enthusiasts' there are on this website.

How is everyone being negative? Everyone just expected this to be more. We're not ALL saying that it's gonna suck or it's the worst coaster ever (Son of Beast) we just thought it was gonna be better. And you said apart from the happiness, have you seen our comments on mega-lites? Obviously you haven't read all the comments on this. Also,not every enthusiast may not have the same opinion as you. That's how the coaster world, and the real world is.

I normally think the same, but with this ride I was expecting basically MilF with better hills.

Christ they didn't even do the second best feature, that 1st overbank.

^ I do agree it would've been cool with the first overbank but knowing how a lot of people dislike Milf (like myself) they would rip it so much.

Yeah it really looks like a scaled up version of a Mega Lite...

But I still think that the OSTR will partly kill the ride, especially in the twisty sections. And also, why didn't they make it 15 ft taller, and taken the tallest lift record??? It's just bugging me...

^because it's a Cedar Fair park, and it would take something away from Cedar Point. Ok, so Cedar Point doesn't have the record anymore, but they still don't want to eclipse Millenium Force. Just an idea. I doubt there's that much behind it to be honest.

Nick said:
This forum is full of crap! apart from the people getting excited about this ride.

So, anyone that doesn't agree with your expert opinion is full of crap? Tool.

Martyn B said:
How come so many people are coming the S bends on this to the S bends on a Mega Lite? The S bends on a Mega Lite are bound to have air time due to them actually being hills, where as on this, the S bends are flat?

I think the point that was being made is that we shouldn't judge too much from the pictures. It's not that these hills are similar to a Megalite's hills, but that some people really prejudged the Megalites before they were even built, and were 100% wrong in their judgement. It would be wrong to say that these hills won't have airtime just based from the plans.

Nick said:
It's just so ridiculous comments like "it's a waste", "what a disappointment" etc etc.
It's the 3rd Giga coaster ever built!
It has a layout similar to the raved mega-lites
A 300ft drop straight into a turn!!!!!!

What is there not to get excited about?
What a good bunch of 'enthusiasts' there are on this website.

All this can be done with a 150ft high coaster, thats what people are saying. Yes it will go round that corner even faster, well might do depends on the angel of the drop. But what else does it offer? speed we think but that is about it.

I am happy they are building them again, just hoped for a bit more rather than a bigger megalite which seems to be what they have done.

I am sure it will be really good, but I am just not sure what new experience it will offer people apart from being 305ft in the air.

^I agree. Even if they'd just scaled up a Mega-lite then it would have some huge hills. This only has one noticeably massive hill for all that drop.

I'm looking forward to this ride, I think it will be great. I just feel like they could've done more with 305ft, that's all.

It's an odd one this.

There are thousands of coasters out there I've not been on.
There are over 200 I have been on.
There are many years for hundreds more coasters to be built before I die.
Out of those new coasters, some I will ride, many I wont.
Just because I'm enthusiast does NOT mean that I have to say that every ride covered above I must "love". A new ride is a new ride, but it's no different to any other ride I've not yet been on. I will make my opinion on the new ride, and the other riders I've not been on based on my own experiences and other peoples.

Being an enthusiast and experienced in riding many different types of coasters gives you the ability to be able to pre-empt the quality and ride value in any coaster. You may be wrong, but in my experience so far, I haven't been massively out.

Thus, enthusiasts will often say what they think is true based on experiences. Just because you're an enthusiast doesn't mean that you have to lick the arse of every new coaster that comes out. In fact, the reality is that you should have a much more realistic opinion than most people. I'm glad KD are getting the ride, and I think it looks okay - it IS however nothing unbelievable or ground breaking. There are a number of points where the ride fails in the eyes of the enthusiast.

Does this mean the ride will be bad? No.
Does this mean the ride will be unpopular with guests? No.
Does this mean the ride is a bad move for KD? No.
Does it mean that we should ignore the things we know make and break rides because it's new? No.

Nobody is being deliberately nasty or miserable, just honest...

I think the point that was being made is that we shouldn't judge too much from the pictures. It's not that these hills are similar to a Megalite's hills, but that some people really prejudged the Megalites before they were even built, and were 100% wrong in their judgement. It would be wrong to say that these hills won't have airtime just based from the plans.

But you have to have some ort of a 'crest' of a hill to creat air time, these S bends dont have that...

This only has one noticeably massive hill for all that drop.

Its funny you say that, if we were told a 300ft coaster was being built, with not many large hills, we'd all be screaming 'air time air time' - but we're not, due to the unusal layout, and I think thats part of the reason of alot peoples disapointment.

From what people are saying in here, it seems like America finally has a PMBO! :lol:

Martyn B said:

But you have to have some ort of a 'crest' of a hill to creat air time, these S bends dont have that...

Wrong. Take a look at Piraten's S-Bend hills. Yes, I know Intimidator's are smaller, but that doesn't mean they won't have airtime. They're essentially the same as Piraten's.

Status
Not open for further replies.