What's new

Intimidator 305 - Kings Dominion Giga coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
rollerdude said:
It's so ridiculous how so many people automatically think the ride sucks just because it has over the shoulder restraints. Who cares? Look how good Maverick is, and it has the same restraints. The only reason they use them on their coasters is because of the brakes. Ok, you may hit your head in a turn. You should've been ready for the turn and braced yourself.

That's easy to say if you're one of the people who doesn't have airtime killed by those restraints. My shoulders touch the harness, so whenever there is airtime, I don't feel it because my body is trapped both at lap and shoulder.

What happens instead is that my shoulders take all the pressure of the airtime on those unpadded restraints, and only my head moves upwards, being tugged from my body by the neck by the forces.

Imagine lying down, having somebody put their feet on your shoulders then grabbing your head and pulling on it - this is what the OTSR do to me.

Yeah, maybe I should learn to suck up the pain, neck damage and learn to ride the coaster - but I'd rather spend the day on Dominator where it's comfortable and fun every ride no matter if I learned to ride it or not ;)

I reckon the ride does look very good, but I reckon it would've been cool if they had balanced it out a bit more...I mean there are heaps of those snappy transitions and flat turns (And I do enjoy those elements), but there are only a couple of 'pure' airtime hills. I perhaps might have got a couple more hills in there and thrown an overbank in the mix, just to round it off more.
Regardless, it still looks pretty sweet, and it seems like they're getting plenty of bang for their buck.

I fall into the category of not being affected by Intamin OTSRs, but I can definitely see where people are coming from with respect to lap bars.

Oh I did not even notice it had over the head restraints lol. The coaster looks fast but why does it need them? I think thats a mistake tbh, anyone that has done Stealth and Xcelator will know what I mean.

Part of going up 300ft with just a lap bar would scare me more than over the heads, I also think the airtime will be killed. I like to be able to move my arms around on these things and now wont be able to.

This coaster like Rita, EGF etc does not go upside down so I dont see the need tbh.

^Snappy transitions. I bet someone would complain if it looked like people could get thrown out of the ride (though, I guess the forces aren't higher than on Piraten, who's only got lapbars).

But honestly, don't you think this coaster actually is pretty cheap for its size? I don't know how much a 1999 dollar is in comparison to a 2009 dollar, but I guess the difference is quite big when you've got 25 million of them. It looks like Intamin has reduced the amout of steel in this one compared to Millennium Force, and considering how Maverick probably was more expensive than this (25 mill 2006-dollars), I'd say they succeeded pretty well.

For the record, Diamondback was 22 mill USD. Behemoth was 26 mill CAD.

marc said:
The coaster looks fast but why does it need them?

Brakes maybe? Not sure myself, but this thing must be hitting the brakes at a really high speed. That's not a defence of the OTSRs by the way; just a possible reason why it has them.

Ok, my (ie the correct) opinions:

First drop will be immense, and the turn right after should be very forceful. Anyone who's ridden a Megalite can now tell you that a drop and turn doesn't have to be boring. This is an upscaled version of a Megalite drop and turn, and should be fantastic.

Those small hill/turns should have lots of airtime. They're very low, and the trains will be hitting at those at a huge speed. Whether people will enjoy it as much as a traditional airtime hill will be a matter of personal taste. The OTSRs will probably come into play as well.

OTSRs are a big disappointment. The marketing is telling us that it doesn't have them, yet the pictures and videos are showing that they do. They've been working for months on this press release; I doubt that they would now give us inaccurate pictures and videos. Market it as an overhead lapbar all you want, but if you're giving us the restraints you show in the pictures so far, you're giving us OTSRs, and it **** ing sucks!

It will be a very, very good coaster, stopped from being a fantastic coaster by the restraints. You can argue that Intamin OTSRs "aren't that bad" all you want. Fair enough; they're not, but they will never be as good as lapbars on this type of coaster. FACT. I really, really hope that I'm wrong, their marketing is right and we get something similar to the pictures of Pilgrim's Plunge that Snoo posted earlier. However, I doubt it.

Racing theme? Are you **** ing kidding me?! BORED BORED BORED BORED BORED BORED BORED!

Part of going up 300ft with just a lap bar would scare me more than over the heads, I also think the airtime will be killed. I like to be able to move my arms around on these things and now wont be able to.

The thing I hate the most about OTSRs from my experience is that, on Maverick, you get good airtime going down the drop, but at the bottom of the drop your restraints are literally slammed into your legs, leaving you stapled for the rest of the ride. So, I hope that doesn't happen on this coaster.

Racing theme? Are you ing kidding me?! BORED BORED BORED BORED BORED BORED BORED!

Yah, really.

It just looks like an oversized Mega-Lite. And a useless one at that. I'd almost certainly prefer Piraten <3

^But surely that's a positive rather than a negative?

I'm not understanding the argument, by quite a few people now, that it "just" looks like a Megalite, when the same people are saying how fantastic the megalites are. If anything, Intamin have looked at the flaws of, say, MF and Thunder Dolphin, then looked at the successes of the Megalite, and designed accordingly.

You'll (hopefully) get the airtime of the Megalites combined with the impressive heights and speeds of the other gigas.

mustache.jpg

This is all I see. First ride to be themed to moustaches?

Best. Theme. Ever.

gavin said:

I'm not understanding the argument, by quite a few people now, that it "just" looks like a Megalite, when the same people are saying how fantastic the megalites are. If anything, Intamin have looked at the flaws of, say, MF and Thunder Dolphin, then looked at the successes of the Megalite, and designed accordingly.

You'll (hopefully) get the airtime of the Megalites combined with the impressive heights and speeds of the other gigas.

Exactly. If the Mega-lites are so good, then surely this will be amazing, since it's just going to be higher and faster version of them.

And I've basically taken what Gavin said, and repeated, sorry!

gavin said:

Let me attempt to explain, as I only made statements without giving reasons why. So I shall break down what I said.

I said:
It just looks like an oversized Mega-Lite.
It has some characteristics of the Mega-Lite. Ie- drop into turn then hill. Whilst at the same time being 3 times the size.

I said:
And a useless one at that.
The POV shows what seem to be good fast cornering and heavy forces. But is severely lacking in what I can see to be tonnes of airtime. Something I do believe that the Mega-Lite was designed for. Therefore making it a useless look-a-like.

Therefore resulting in me saying this:-
I said:
I'd almost certainly prefer Piraten <3

I hope that makes sense Gavin.

^Yep!

It's all going to depend on what those small hill/turns end up doing. They're being labelled as "airtime" on the layout pictures at the moment, and they will be taken at very high speed. I agree that they're looking very low though. Maybe too low?

^ 'Tis what I was thinking. Could be wrong, but this looks far too much like mostly heavy forces and not much leaping out of the seat.

Gavin a Megelite is good, but you would expect a 300ft version to be better, thats my problem with it. A lot of people enjoyed being able to put there hands up and move their heads and upper body with the coaster. With over the heads people wont be able to do this.

It does go really fact and the corner after the drop will be really good.

Maybe it will be better that the computer POV.

This coaster will still be a lot better than coasters we get in the UK.

I have been reading and it does not have over the heads so that should be better.

Yup. But I feel it wont be as good as a Mega-Lite. Which I believe to be the single best coaster model!

Now all we need is for Disney to get their hands on one and do what they do best, leaving us with a new world #1 :p

Judging by what I've gotten in comparison to this.. basically all of Maverick.. the turns should get decent amount of air depending on the speed.

As gavin said, that is pretty much the decider for this ride. If those fail and we only get semi decent airtime over the hills.. it will be a failure much like MF.

The back row will be GREAT on that first drop though.. I know where I'm sitting on my first ride.

Hmmm just realised that the lift hill isn't all that impressive. The giant truss section below the track connecting to the ground will take the weight of the bottom section and the top is just split evenly by those two rather large garish yellow things.

I'm praying that since the rendering was done that Intamin/KD have changed their minds over the OTSR's, although I think Gavin said they are probably needed for the brakes. I know I certainly fly into the ones on Stealth/Rita.

^ Well, Millennium Force goes into the brakes at like, 60+ miles per hour so I don't get why everyone is saying that the brakes will be so harsh.

^Still, even at that speed, you're still thrown forward a little bit. Top Thrill Dragster really throws you forward. I know my shoulders touch the restraints on Maverick.

Gavin's right. While I know I'll like those turns and transitions, they'll have to have some good airtime for the ride to be liked by everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.