What's new

Hersheypark |"Skyrush"| Intamin Mega

^I'm only asking now, so bear with me. Is there possibly some system where Intamin says look, we can do option A costing $X, option B costing $Y and option C costing $Z. This is how I've understood a lot of coaster design to be done in that the designers/manufactures present ideas and the parks keep/reject them. That's how it often works in other product design/engineering projects, so even though Hershey won't have said "use a series of stacked I-beams as a support spine", then may have said "go with the cheapest option which happens to be a series of stacked I-beams as a support spine".

You're right, I just wonder if Hershey picked this out of a series of possible designs that Intamin proposed.

Actually you totally missed the my point UC. I was saying that after Hershey approaches Intamin, Intamin gives them the product idea. Then there is discussion of budget...and that is probably not a one-sided conversation. I was not in any way insinuating that Hershey makes the design choice for the lift. I am saying that Hershey is part of the budget decision (because they are the ones paying Intamin) and then Intamin may have to refine their product to fit the budget...makes perfect logical sense. Don't twist my words.

Actually you need to learn to not imply an entire paragraph of analysis from a single sentence. Read it for face value. If you even took the effort to read the sentence before you would have realized that I was completely referring to budget in that second sentence. I guess you just can't understand the meaning of a two sentence idea because all of yours have to take up five pages. I never mentioned anything about Hershey choosing a lift structure or anything regarding the engineering of the coaster...only the budget.

reddude333 said:
Actually you need to learn to not imply an entire paragraph of analysis from a single sentence.
BUT THAT'S WHAT UC DOES. You should know this by now! He's usually right too ;)

Edit. Thanks. Yeah, trust UC. He knows what he's talking about...

Re: Hersheypark |"Skyrush"| Intamin Mega

To be completely honest, I figured they went with the I-beam structure because it kind of resembles classic train track (the singlr bar, not them stacked). Since the station is going to be themed to that of a Train Station, they requested materials that may have looked closest to what they wanted...

My guess entirely.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Hixee said:
The point is, they could "easily" have done this lift hill another way, but in going the cheaper route they've made something that looks really messy. In my opinion anyway.
Actually, looking at the ride, I'm beginning to see a logic in the design of the lift hill.

See, all of Intamin's existing lift hill designs are for accommodating the standard 2-across seating hyper coaster trains. This is the first time they've built a ride which has not only four across seating, but also floorless seats on the outside of the train. That means that:
  • The trains are wider than the standard trains, so there needs to be a bigger gap between the track and the catwalk
  • Evacuation procedures are likely to be more complex than "just clamber across the train and onto the stairs" - I'm not sure how parks evacuate riders from a floorless train that's stopped on the lift hill, but I wouldn't be surprised if it involves inserting a temporary floor under the train.

My guess is, this new lift hill structure is more to do with solving technical problems presented by the train type, rather than than aesthetics or cost.

MouseAT said:
I'm not sure how parks evacuate riders from a floorless train that's stopped on the lift hill, but I wouldn't be surprised if it involves inserting a temporary floor under the train.[/list]

Yeah, you pften pass these big pieces of metal when going up the lift hill, which is what they use.

But, just for a laugh, get UC to tell you how he thinks it happens.

Youngster Joey said:
How long do you think it will be until we get a video of the trains being tested???

Quite awhile seeing as the track isn't even completed yet, and the lift track isn't in place as well. I have not yet weighed in but I think like several others, that this will be a very fun, compact ride, and that in its own way, will be just as good as that older brother that it kinda looks like.

I love how the tiniest part of catwalk is added and they do a WHOLE update of pictures just being re-used to show nothing has actually changed. It's rather funny!

^ You can't blame them doing a FULL re-post of images of the same thing without showing any type of actual construction? Ok, yeah, I see the sense here. I'd understand just posting the pictures of things what's been done, but not loads of duplicate images.

I don't like being the guy that points out the obvious, but I'm pretty sure UC has a chokehold on any arguments related to Skyrush.

Any bets on if they're going to delay the opening by a week or two?

That's going to be one hell of a first drop... :p

422288_3006377751981_1038519439_3058433_1507352197_n.jpg

Yum <3

Ive never quite thought about this .... But I really imagine riding Comet now will be much more exciting, on that first drop especially.
Loving the interaction between the rides, even though it does all seem a bit crammed.
And I was also wondering, will they still need the large crane to install the little pieces of lift hill track and top of the lift hill support?
The pieces I assume are some of the lightest of the bunch, but its still 200 feet in the air .....
I'd assume they obviously still need the crane.

Haha, wouldnt that be something!
I should have clarified ...
do they need the big ass crane ..... or can they use smaller ones?
Im not sure from the photos how much of it has been completed.

First drop looks awesome, almost looks like it begins to pull up before droppin into the bend.

Its certainly an impressive structure, just a shame they had to use the colours they did.

I still don't understand what the hell those two yellow support beams are doing on the closer blue truss. It doesn't make any sense =/ and its doing my OCD in as much as the hideousness of Silver Bullet's lift hill.