What's new

Hersheypark |"Skyrush"| Intamin Mega

ciallkennett said:
I personally think both look **** and nothing to even get remotely excited about

That's a bit premature isn't it? So you've got a 200ft tall intamin megacoaster with winged trains, airtime hills, ground hugging curves and sweet looking overbanks and you think it looks ****
Why? because you don't like the colour or because it MIGHT have a trim near the end. . .

I don't see how this is going to be bad at all...

It's a 200' drop, into an 80' tall airtime hill, and the rest of the ride is lower than that, there aren't supposed to be trims on the ride, so this is going to haul some major butt through the layout, so it's going to be filled with crazy ejector air, and positive g's.

The layout has nothing unique, 2 trains are floorless, hardly winged, and it looks uninspired. The area they have crammed the ride in just makes it look worse as well. Those are just a few complaints it could get...

tomahawKSU said:
The layout has nothing unique, 2 trains are floorless, hardly winged, and it looks uninspired. The area they have crammed the ride in just makes it look worse as well. Those are just a few complaints it could get...
It's a non inverting megacoaster with a custom layout, what would you suggest changing/adding to it to make it unique? And two of the seats on each row are at the side of the car, on wings, making them winged trains. Would you rather they just built another wild mouse instead so they didn't have to 'cram' it into the plot? Personally i'd prefer they make the most out of the space.

Not to mention it is one of those "firsts" (at least for Intamin) so it can only be indicative of things to come. I think the layout is nice and should provide some great airtime plus I'm interested in seeing what that "stengal dive" is like. Also, I like the setting, but that's just me personally and I wouldn't expect that everyone agrees.

The trains will be the best part of the ride. I don't know, maybe more than one hill may have been good. Maybe more megalite than ground hugging.

^That is a decent point (especially since it would be nice to have one in the US) but I am happy to see a 200' 85-degree drop Intamin Mega just as well. The space limitations probably made the number of potential hills drop significantly, ah well.

UC said:
You guys should just be happy to see something like this in Hershey. They're notorious for having a hell of a time getting permission to build anything near that creek.

-applauds-

I've heard the same thing. I'll say this, about that, It is ugly as ****, but it will be fun to do once, if not more, and as fans of coasters, isn't that really what it boils down to?

Skyrush reminds me alot of I305 .... the same sort of coaster.
I305 had a lot of complaints when plans were released that it looked boring and did 'nothing' with its layout.
Well it turned out to probably be one of the most intense roller coasters in the world.

Same thing goes for Skyrush. I dont think its going to be as intense as I305 ............ but it will kick ass and be very far from boring.
This is exactly what Hershey needed anyways ..... a non-looping, full of airtime and curves and stuff like that.
Its gonna kick ass :D

edit: oh and by the way, I found some pretty awesome photos of the complete lift hill....

http://photos.pennlive.com/patriot-news ... co_11.html

http://photos.pennlive.com/patriot-news ... co_12.html

In my mind, it looks exactly like millennium force and I305 put together.

Great shots! Btw, it looks like they are going for only having the two rails for the top of the lift and start of the drop (as opposed to the triangle or box track). Seems odd for the top of a lift but I guess it's because of that massive spine...thing. Also looking like it will be the same for the rest of the lift track.

reddude333 said:
Haha, yes, instead let's use a giant ugly spine, that makes sense...
Yeah, because they wanted to go with Aesthetic value rather then Structural Integrity... I think Intamin know more than you on what makes a coaster safe in it's construction. Leave the experts to it and stop bitching.

-lofty- said:
reddude333 said:
Yeah, because they wanted to go with Aesthetic value rather then Structural Integrity... I think Intamin know more than you on what makes a coaster safe in it's construction. Leave the experts to it and stop bitching.
It's not like Intamin don't know how to span large gaps with a decent looks lift hill structures:

http://www.rcdb.com/4520.htm?p=30604

I mean, I305 is essentially the same system. A massive spine, with the track 'piggy-backing' on it, but by keeping it hollow (or a similar style to their 4-rail track) it looks far, FAR better.

;)

I'm generally a fan of industrial looking engineering (don't get me wrong slick, clean, elegant designs are amazing too), but this just looks so clunky and horrible. It doesn't fit with the rest of the ride (flowing curves, sexy transitions) and I'm assuming the trains are going to look pretty slick too, which again makes this lift hill less and less appealing. Regardless of engineering knowledge, this lift hill really doesn't do it for me.

Hixee said:
-lofty- said:
reddude333 said:
It's not like Intamin don't know how to span large gaps with a decent looks lift hill structures:

http://www.rcdb.com/4520.htm?p=30604

I mean, I305 is essentially the same system. A massive spine, with the track 'piggy-backing' on it, but by keeping it hollow (or a similar style to their 4-rail track) it looks far, FAR better.

;)

I'm generally a fan of industrial looking engineering (don't get me wrong slick, clean, elegant designs are amazing too), but this just looks so clunky and horrible. It doesn't fit with the rest of the ride (flowing curves, sexy transitions) and I'm assuming the trains are going to look pretty slick too, which again makes this lift hill less and less appealing. Regardless of engineering knowledge, this lift hill really doesn't do it for me.
Yeah, I understand that, but there's obviously a reason in which they've done this, so all as I was pointing out is that moaning about it is going to get people nowhere, it's been done for a reason, get over it ;)

^Wait a minute... we're enthusiasts. All we do is moan about things we don't like about new rides, we're never in any doubt that it's NEVER going to get changed...

Look in the Dollywood topic about the trains, the Port Aventura topic about the view, the Europa Park topic about the two coasters clashing, the Mirabilandia topic about the colours... need I go on?

This lift hill looks clunky and crude, we can't change it, but we can still moan. ;)

Wow, surprised you guys took that so seriously. I was just joking around. I have been a fan of this ride from the start and I know that Intamin knows what they are doing. This spurred from me making a simple observation and then some witty (if not slightly cynical) back-and-forth between me and UC.

Edit: I'm with Hixee on this, it's just good discussion

^I kinda missed the issue, but that's essentially what I was aiming at. The point is, they could "easily" have done this lift hill another way, but in going the cheaper route they've made something that looks really messy. In my opinion anyway.

Yeah, and in the end, the decision was most likely heavily influenced by the budget Hershey wanted Intamin to work with. I am mostly saying this because I feel that Intamin would not go for this approach if they had the choice (based on their other coasters).