What's new

Hersheypark |"Skyrush"| Intamin Mega

I really don't want to get too involved, but something you need to understand is that you can't take things so personally in general. And you also need to learn what some of the member's personalities are like. UC and I had our fair share of bouts when I first joined...I like to think of it as a right of passage haha. That being said, as long as this thread is, it is important to read up so you don't walk into criticism.

Back on topic, have we seen these "pre-trim" bits anywhere else on the track or just for this last airtime hill?

Just to add my fair share to this discussion..

Intamin does occasionally add unnecessary trims to their rides. A prime example is Expedition GeForce. The trim towards the end of the ride (1:30 sec into this vid) kills a lot of speed and makes the train crawl over the last two bunny hops. The turn is slow and almost provides "hangtime" (sideways that is) and the hills doesn't even provide floater. Compare that to the hefty 4.5 g's at the bottom of the drop and the ejector air over the first hill (rather extreme forces) and the final trim seems unnecessary.

I don't say that all of Intamins trims are unnecessary. Neither do I say that SkyRush will be "killed" by it's (possible) trim. But I do say that Intamin occasionally put unnecessary trims on their rides.

Hersheypark |"Skyrush"| Intamin Mega

We don't know why they were added though. I read they were added to save the trains but cannot fully remember though.

^Yes, and purely so because we all know that would have been epic coming into that canyon. I like to be as optimistic as I can be that Intamin knows what they are doing and in the end they are aiming to benefit both themselves and the overall safety and enjoyment of their riders.

^I thought with Maverick forces did also have a part to play in the removal of the heartline:
Quote from wikipedia 'three 40-foot (12 m) track sections after the second launch needed to be replaced. These sections made up the heartline roll element and put excessive stress on the trains, which also might have caused discomfort to passengers due to high g-forces'

andrus said:
A prime example is Expedition GeForce. The trim towards the end of the ride kills a lot of speed and makes the train crawl over the last two bunny hops. .
I'd disagree with that, i've only been to HP once but rode EGF 8 times that day, I had good airtime on the last two hills (and all the others) on every ride.

Back to Skyrush, at least the trim (if it's used) is towards the end of the layout. To be fair, I think there will be more trims, as UC said these trains haven't been used before so it's uncharted territory. I'd imagine that the winged trains will be heavier than the standard mega coaster trains and therefore put more pressure on the wheels. It's not the end of the world, the coaster could still ride really well with trims. I'd rather the park trim it slightly as opposed to only running one train when there's an hour long queue to reduce maintainance costs.

Really can't wait to see the lift hill capped off!

What makes you think that winged trains would be heavier? Seems like less material to me, not to mention (I believe) shorter trains...could be wrong about the length though.

Brett7710 said:
^I thought with Maverick forces did also have a part to play in the removal of the heartline:
Quote from wikipedia 'three 40-foot (12 m) track sections after the second launch needed to be replaced. These sections made up the heartline roll element and put excessive stress on the trains, which also might have caused discomfort to passengers due to high g-forces'

The passengers weren't the main issue, as according to whats his face, the guy who designed it (I think.. or the President of Intamin).. it was tolerable. It was 90% the fact that the trains, which cost a smidge of cash, would have to be replaced every.. 3-5 years?

6 trains x several million = more than it cost to build the ride in the first place.

Off Topic: Is it me or is having an argument with UC a right of passage for the newer users?

On Topic: I truly don't feel like they have enough information on whether they need to use the trims or not. What they are doing is giving themselves a "quick-fix" if it's absolutely necessarily. Either Way It should still be a fun ride from what I've seen.

^Bingo.

And yeah, even IF there's a trim there, it's literally going to kill a hill and a corner. It'd be a shame, but, uh, the rest of it still looks freaking AWESOME.

^^ Pretty sure I already told you that.

^^^ I still don't think you made a good case for why the trains would be heavier...or even the same for that matter. The larger gaps to me says less material per car. I'm not saying that they would even be significantly lighter but to me it seems there is no reason they would be heavier. That's not to say that the preemptive trim brackets aren't a good idea, because I definitely think it's good they are looking ahead.

Topped off!!!
scaled.php

I see what you are saying now. Thank you UC for the visual evidence. I had not seen the side-by-side comparison of the two trains. So yeah, probably some extra material for those wings, but hopefully not too much extra weight. It's almost too bad they had to go for the regular length "platform" because I will imagine the trains might look kinda like the Diamondback trains in that there is so much unnecessary legroom (and this is coming from someone who is 6'5"). At least it will add to the openness they are trying to create.

^^Exciting to see that the lift is finally topped off. Looking forward to pictures from more angles.

I suppose the track has a bigger spine as per usual so it looks a bit smaller than 200ft or whatever they said it is...