What's new

Formula 1™ Topic

Pierre

Strata Poster
Re: Formula One 2011

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/new ... s-Sky-team

Damon Hill on Sky F1 channel to provide 'expert analysis'.

Also Virgin Media have announced they are carrying the channel but only to people who have the full Sky Sports package which is a bit **** considering Sky customers can get it just by having the HD pack - Sky must have charged an arm and a leg for Virgin Media to carry it if they want to recoup cost that way.

Martyn B

CF Legend

In other words, they haven't had as many people subscribe to Sky as they thought they would.

jayjay

Giga Poster

Martyn B said:
In other words, they haven't had as many people subscribe to Sky as they thought they would.
Well the BBC's coverage is going to have quite a pull. No casual F1 viewer (casual viewers probably make up a large proportion of the BBC's F1 viewers) will subscribe to Sky or care that not all the races are live (including me tbh - anything that cuts the crap out from Valencia). Even the big fans without Sky probably wouldn't pay just for F1. Either out of protest, because they can't afford it or they can't justify the cost.

Pierre

Strata Poster

Martyn B said:

Not really... the F1 channel was always going to be carried on other service providers regardless of how many people subcribed to Sky for it. Plus with the channel not launching until 9th March 2012 its hard to get a true reflection of how many people will be choosing Sky/whoever with this channel being the main purpose.

I think what Sky charge other service providers for any of their channels is regulated quite strictly by official bodies also. Just feel Virgin Media are selling their customers short to recoup what they have had to pay to carry the channel.

marc

CF Legend
Formula One 2011

I am not watching any of it if I cannot see it all.

The bbc have Ben who I simply cannot stand.

Virgin want £22.50 a month not even going to be in HD.

T0M

Hyper Poster

I won't pay for Sky as I cannot stand Ecclestone or Murdoch and think they've graced us with their presence on this planet for long enough now.

I'll try and get to a pub for some races if they are showing it though.

marc

CF Legend
Formula One 2011

The channel is not pay per view on sky therefore cannot be shown in pubs. Sky shot themselves in the foot by including it for free in the normal hd package.

nealbie

CF Legend

If the pub has a public license (or whatever the technical term it is) to show Sky Sports channels in HD or 3D then they will be able to show it.

The only problem faced by this is if they only pay for standard Sky Sports, then they will not be able to. They're supposed to be adding the grand prix (well, the conveniently timed ones lol) to the "fixture list" (as they call it) soon. :)

marc

CF Legend
Formula One 2011

Problem is its not a sky sports channel as they are letting people have it when they don't have sky sports.

The questions been asked and sky have said no. It was just a sky worker on their forum that said no though lol.

marc

CF Legend
Formula One 2011

Ok cool :) so we can go watch the Australian gp at 6am lol.

Glad the person was wrong.

T0M

Hyper Poster

What does everyone think will happen to Michael Schumacher at the end of this season?

nealbie

CF Legend

He'll join the queue at the post office and collect his pension like every other 60 year old.

Seriously though, he's said he's enjoying doing something he loves for fun and wants to carry on as long as he is fit and given the opportunity. Fair play to him tbh.

T0M

Hyper Poster

^ Ha ha. Well yes I think he would like to continue but do you think he will get a seat with Mercedes or anyone else?

Mercedes car has been terribly uncompetative, but they ae rumoured to be working on something with more of a kick for this season. Hopefully both Michael and Nico can secure a handful of podiums between them.

marc

CF Legend
Formula One 2011

To be fair to ms he was on par with Nico this year if not ahead most of the time. He just needs to sort out his one lap speed.

marc

CF Legend

Called Virgin today and asked why they are charging what they are when Sky HD customers are getting it for free. The guy informed me they still need Sky Sports and I said they don't and I said he should check.

30 mins later he called me back to say I was right and I can have Sky Sports and the movies for £10 a month so I said yes.

jayjay

Giga Poster

And the first team to release 2012 car pictures is... Lotu... wait no, Caterham.

The nose looks really ugly with the step change in height, but apparently it's due to the new regulation of lowering the nose height to below the cockpit level. Making sure there's no collision with the nose going over the cockpit and all that. Doesn't seem the most aerodynamic design, but I'm not going to argue with a team of people who know way more about aerodynamic design than me. I just want Caterham to score points this year :p

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2012/01/25/c ... led-early/