What's new

Cedar Point | "GateKeeper" | B&M Wingrider

Nick P

Mega Poster
Wow, the amount of clearance on the barrel roll looks extremely minuscule from the first pictures angle. Looks like it will be a great head chopper element.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I had those same thoughts. Especially with the second portion of the track to be mounted directly on the backside of the second tower, it will create a hidden second chopper. Almost reminds me of the castle facade for Dueling Dragons Ice on the Cobra Roll.

This also inadvertently will be a nice side-by-side comparison of a zero-g roll and an inline twist.

P.S. Mad props on the YSU Penguin Nick. I lived in Girard for 10 years, back when Tressel was still coaching for Youngstown.

Nick P

Mega Poster
Hyde244 said:
P.S. Mad props on the YSU Penguin Nick. I lived in Girard for 10 years, back when Tressel was still coaching for Youngstown.

Both of my parents went to YSU, and just about my entire family lives in Youngstown. It's practically my second home.

Snoo

The Legend
^Agreed. Chopper is gonna be nuts.

Also, I already PMed you, but love rocking the YSU. Intricks is also from the Yo, hailing from Canfield. I'm from Howland, however.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Re: Cedar Point | "Gatekeeper" | B&M Wingrider

Im surprised to see a nice little niche of Ohioans on here :lol:

Gah, so excited for this ride!

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^
Gatekeepercam28_zps70a74b36.jpg

Gatekeepercam29_zps64c287de.jpg

Gatekeepercam32_zps9d7c1269.jpg

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Because you included pics from yesterday, I briefly thought that they had to disassemble part of the track to get the next section in...

Date stamps were the proof otherwise.

*Sorry - I edited the wrong post. They're in the correct post now. - ECG

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I took the liberty of helping compensate for the darker exposures that Cedar Point took - here is the most recent batch of media photos brightened up for better detail.

008.JPG

015.JPG

017.JPG

026.JPG

045.JPG

062.JPG

065.JPG

D1993

Hyper Poster
rollermonkey said:
Dammit. Now I want to go to CP, and I loathe CP.

As a simple matter of curiosity, why do you loathe CP?

I want to see the trains testing and flying through those keyholes!

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Not exactly the right place for it, but here goes:

I feel the place is more corporate, and has less soul than any park I've ever been to.

It's sterile and lifeless massive expanses of concrete are ugly.

Every time I've been with the goal of riding a specific ride, I've been spited. Millenium Force, Top Thrill Dragster, Maverick. Each took me two trips to get on. (None were even in their debut season.)

I've never been on a day when the queue blocks were completely full (besides Maverick), yet it still feels so crowded it borders on claustrophobia, I can't even imagine how bad it is when it's really packed.

While the collection of coasters is indeed large, they are almost all mediocre examples of their type: Raptor, Iron Dragon, Mantis, Magnum, Mean Streak, etc. Maverick is pretty good, but certainly not worth the incessant 2-hour queue, IMO.

What pains me the most is that Millenium Force is my #1 steel, even after 3 separate trips, and I STILL hate the park overall.

To make it worse, the Point fans tend to be snobbish about their adoration for the place, or have virtually never been outside of enthusiast events. As far as I'm concerned, those are not a true gauge of the park.

I'm sure I'll get back there someday for Gatekeeper, and maybe whatever comes next, but I probably won't be ecstatic about the visit no matter how good one or two rides are.

coaster_rider93

Mega Poster
rollermonkey said:
Not exactly the right place for it, but here goes:

I feel the place is more corporate, and has less soul than any park I've ever been to.

It's sterile and lifeless massive expanses of concrete are ugly.

Every time I've been with the goal of riding a specific ride, I've been spited. Millenium Force, Top Thrill Dragster, Maverick. Each took me two trips to get on. (None were even in their debut season.)

I've never been on a day when the queue blocks were completely full (besides Maverick), yet it still feels so crowded it borders on claustrophobia, I can't even imagine how bad it is when it's really packed.

While the collection of coasters is indeed large, they are almost all mediocre examples of their type: Raptor, Iron Dragon, Mantis, Magnum, Mean Streak, etc. Maverick is pretty good, but certainly not worth the incessant 2-hour queue, IMO.

What pains me the most is that Millenium Force is my #1 steel, even after 3 separate trips, and I STILL hate the park overall.

To make it worse, the Point fans tend to be snobbish about their adoration for the place, or have virtually never been outside of enthusiast events. As far as I'm concerned, those are not a true gauge of the park.

I'm sure I'll get back there someday for Gatekeeper, and maybe whatever comes next, but I probably won't be ecstatic about the visit no matter how good one or two rides are.

You're right, this forum is not exactly the right place for your rants and complaints about a park that many people here on Coasterforce love :roll:

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
He was asked & replied. Simple as, whether you think it is the place for it or not. It's also not a rant & I happen to agree with pretty much everything he stated. I think there are many people on CoasterForce that also agree & Cedar Point fanboys like yourself, are probably in the minority around here.
Of course I'm glad that they are building this coaster, as it will mean that they finally have something decent to go along with Maverick, Top Thrill Dragster, maXair & Millennium Force. It will be nice to return to the park & actually want to ride something other than Maverick, Top Thrill Dragster & maXair. My last few trips there, other than the CF-Live in 2010, have consisted of riding one coaster & then leaving.

coaster_rider93

Mega Poster
I guess I'm a Cedar Point fanboy because it is my home park, but I do not understand the negativity given to Cedar Point. It is pretty much like any other amusement park out there.

Snoo

The Legend
Depends on what you mean by other parks out there. While I do enjoy Cedar Point, rollermonkey does have a point.

While I don't share such hatred, I don't exactly LOVE the park with an unyielding passion. And aside from the big coasters, the rest of the park is a gigantic wash.

And lets not even get started on CP fanboys. I've been threatened by a fanboy because I didn't like his favorite ride.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ And don't you forget it Snoo - if I ever find you talking smack about Cedar Downs again! :lol:

I am a Cedar Point fanboy, but know there are other parks and roller coaster in the world that do things better. That is a critical element I emphasize to fanboys of any park - knowing that each park has its specialty, but does not trump all.

Regardless of Cedar Point opinion however, I think it is a general consensus that GateKeeper was a good move at a good time. Sometimes we are left to ponder why a park decided to add a certain ride coughLeviathancough, but there is no ambiguity with GateKeeper. Same as Maverick, it was out-with-the-old/in-with-the-new in areas of the park that have not seen a new attraction for 20 years.

If the worst thing Cedar Point fanboys have to complain about is the keyhole towers being two separate pieces or the placement of supports - that is a good stroke of luck!