What's new

Cedar Point | "GateKeeper" | B&M Wingrider

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
Thanks for clearing the thing with the gap up.
Off course it's just a detail, but I just wish it would've have been as one tower.

Nevermind, again, it looks good.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
For those that missed this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP4KVRohE2w[/youtube]

And here's the latest webcam shots:

Gatekeepercam24_zps03385cbb.jpg

Gatekeepercam25_zpseb9051a7.jpg

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Thanks, Jerry.

And having not been on one of these yet (being a jobless college student sucks) that looks like one heck of a tight squeeze! Don't stick your arm out to the side. Yikes.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Re: Cedar Point | "Gatekeeper" | B&M Wingrider

I actually agree. It is rare for a ride to go from start to finish in such a...proper ordered manner (right choice of words?)?

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Um, no it isn't.

I swear, when a ride goes up from station to finish, the comments are made that it's unusual, but whenever one goes up any other way, people comment how that's unusual.

B&M's typically go up from the station first, back to the brakes, then stopping and doing the lift, then the course in order from first drop to final brakes.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Re: Cedar Point | "Gatekeeper" | B&M Wingrider

I see Gatekeepers install as unusual, with a more normal routine being closer to Smiler and Skyrush. Get where you need to first, and then work from there; 'dont paint yourself in a corner' type deal.

While I will find it odd where they start the construction at, I see the non-RCT build as being more normal nowadays due to how cramped most parks, and their chosen ride locations, tend to be.

BBH

Giga Poster
Why are people complaining, of all things, about the ORDER in which they BUILD the COASTER??!?!?!?

Snoo

The Legend
Lets compare where SkyRush was build to where Gatekeep is being built, and you'll have your reason why they are built differently.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Diamondback went up in RCT order.
Leviathan went up in RCT order.
Intimidator went up in RCT order.
As did X-flight, Wild Eagle, Krake, Manta...

And even I-305.

Most B&M coasters go up in order. Not all, but most.

As Snoo said, it really is dependent on the geography around the ride.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
It all depends on the surrounding terrain, time of year, and specific roller coaster features for assembly.

For instance, Maverick began construction mid-season with the hairpin turns, first airtime hill, and laying additional concrete footers and supports. During the off-season, Cedar Point quickly built RCT-style and laid the track in order. They were able to have better access at this point from draining the pond and being able to work outside of construction boundaries.

Millennium Force and Dragster were similar with their construction. Work began mid-season on portions that were removed from the causeway, away from view. The off-season then offered a time to charge with construction and not worry about the mess.

So too is it with GateKeeper - they have dedicated the entire employee and VIP parking area to the cause. Room is the most critical factor, which there is endless supply of at present.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Construction is continuing, with straight track up after the dive loop. It's be awesome to see the second barrel roll tomorrow.