What's new

Alton Towers | Wicker Man | GCI Wood

scw55

Hyper Poster
I hope the theatrical elements are sustainable.
Like how Nemesis really only needs dye periodically added and Oblivion needs the mist running. I don't want a Nemesis Subterra where live actors are pretty much vital to the experience (where fatigue or low numbers will affect things).

Robbie

Hyper Poster
The groundwork could also have affected the price. Heidi was placed on a relatively flat bit of land, whereas this was built in a pit. Merlin also includes every penny spent in the quoted budget. For example, with Smiler, I can’t think a Gerstlauer Infinity Coaster on its own would cost £18million, but when you add the extras like the Marmaliser, the groundwork, the theme music, the theming etc., it all adds up. Same goes for The Swarm. Even though it’s a B&M, I can’t see the particular layout they chose costing £20million, but when you factor in things like the theming, the marketing, the music, the actors in the videos etc., it all adds up. You guys probably get my gist by now.
I know the guy who installed Thirteen's lighting effects and he says that they could have got three times as much for what they were paying but Merlin basically went in with "this is what we want and this is what we'll pay you" so he did as instructed and walked away happy.

Matt N

CF Legend
I know the guy who installed Thirteen's lighting effects and he says that they could have got three times as much for what they were paying but Merlin basically went in with "this is what we want and this is what we'll pay you" so he did as instructed and walked away happy.
Oh! So Merlin overpay for attractions, then?

JoshC.

Strata Poster
It could be down to particular project managers just being bad at haggling. If you tell someone 'we have £x, and we want to do this', but it doesn't cost £x, that person won't complain. So they'll just say yes, and an inexperienced / gullible / simple project manager which just hand the money over and get on with it. A better PM would try and reduce the price, get more or go in with a lower initial price. And given that Th13teen was very tight with opening (I believe the queue line was finished the day it opened?), that could also make sense.

For another example, Zufari had a major budget cut - I think they slashed the budget by 40%, but the ride ended up largely as planned. So they probably realised that was the case, and instead of doing more stuff or paying more for the same product, they just saved their money.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Usually at least one of my friends or colleagues (not mutually exclusive, I must admit) mentions the major coaster news to me at some point. Announcements for Thirteen, Swarm, Smiler, and the Smiler crash (and even the M&Ds crash if my memory serves me correctly) were all brought up in conversation within a few days of the event. Haven't heard anyone mention anything about this yet, which suggests it's not penetrated as far into the public as the others did.

My [limited] experience, at least.

Smithy

Strata Poster
A bit naff in truth.

People I've shown it too have just re-iterated their pre-held beliefs about wooden coasters being unsafe and they won't ride it (although these arne't coaster people anyway).

Online it was a bit of a laughing stock with people making the same jokes we;ve had in here.

Peet

Giga Poster
Got a kick out of this headline. Interested for brits in the days since the announcement: how has public reception been?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jan/09/alton-towers-the-wicker-man-rollercoaster
That article is total rubbish, why would he write that article before he's even tried the ride!?
I've had a couple of people mention it to me, the whole fire and wood thing seems to be getting people talking which is good, a lot of the GP don't seem to have a clue why you would build a roller coaster out of wood!
It's early days yet, I expect the advertising will ramp up over the next few months.

scw55

Hyper Poster
The writer assumes the film is the inspiration and chooses to dismiss folklore.
Uses the plural form of person wrongly. It was one person who may or may not drown in pig bits.
Feels like he was trying to be Charlie Brooker without the love or appreciation for the medium he's critiquing.
-
In fairness, the article raises awareness of the rollercoaster. The opinion is promotes has no weight and won't actually affect the perception of the ride.

I haven't heard anything about Wickerman from the GP from Anglesey. We're the sort of people who'll maybe go to Alton Towers and not be aware truly of what rides exist there.

Will

Strata Poster
I didn't agree with a lot of what he said, but still enjoyed reading that.
Especially his description of the Saw coaster :D

Robbie

Hyper Poster
That article is exactly the sort of thing I’ve been expecting for months. For many British people of a certain generation you say “Wicker Man” and they think of the film with it’s creepiness and human sacrifice. It is such an odd theme to place on a family coaster.

jayjay

Giga Poster
For many British people of a certain generation you say “Wicker Man” and they think of the film with it’s creepiness and human sacrifice. It is such an odd theme to place on a family coaster.
And to a different generation, it's an accidental comedy remake starring a lunatic madman. Sometimes I feel sorry for people in the original (tbh, I haven't seen either)

Dave

CF Legend
I showed most of my family who all were a little underwhelmed and wondered why I was so excited (purely as it's a wooden coaster at Alton at last!)

Icon will be have the bigger wow factor grabbing the GP's attention, however Wicker Man is going to be the one advertised further, in every newspaper, on loads of supermarket products, buses, posters etc.
Even if people laugh at the fire and wood thing it has got people talking on social media about it, AT have to hope people will visit now!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
So it is testing:-
26734140_1468462926599921_3090559583285338388_n.jpg

Photo by Attraction Images.