What's new

Alton Towers | Wicker Man | GCI Wood

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
After those initial reservations, Merlin opt for a woodie on their own accord just after the worst accident in the parks history. Go figure.
I have a feeling that the metaphorical wheels were already well in motion for SW8 before the Smiler crash. The crash, and then the Colossus debacle, leads me to think they wouldn't have built a woodie if they hadn't already developed something 'to the point of no return'.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Yeah likewise, they'd have gone for a much safer option.

And yeah as above, the more I think about it the more I think it's unbelievably harsh on Wardley, knowing how much he pushed for a woodie, to treat him as such an afterthought.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
Yeah likewise, they'd have gone for a much safer option.

And yeah as above, the more I think about it the more I think it's unbelievably harsh on Wardley, knowing how much he pushed for a woodie, to treat him as such an afterthought.
I think it's possible thought that perhaps Merlin is so disjointed that either people thought he was already part of the project, already had been asked, or just simply overlooked because everyone else was so distracted and frantic about the project. I dunno, that's just the impression I get when I think about Merlin in the planning stages for the coaster.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
I have a feeling that the metaphorical wheels were already well in motion for SW8 before the Smiler crash. The crash, and then the Colossus debacle, leads me to think they wouldn't have built a woodie if they hadn't already developed something 'to the point of no return'.

Yeah the woodie was very much in the pipeline before the smiler crash. They were even doing height tests in the forbidden valley and visiting europa park alot. They had initially planned on opening in 2017.

Idea sessions for SW9 will already be underway now.