What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1st

Some news from a member on TT forums called 12344321. The spider theming is currently outside the Merlin Studios bulding and the van theming has been placed on the farm straight, which is fenced off. However it is covered by a sheet. This will be good news for people who were dreading cuts being made to the theming.

^ It would be good news if it turns about to be true. Don't ask me why, but I don't trust 12344321.

Martyn B said:
Is it just me, or does it look like the right hand side of the cobra roll isn't actually going to invert?

399358_10151244148858087_1265153406_n.jpg

Looks to me like it's going to be more of an overbanked turn.

I've got a feeling that with so many inversions there are going to be a few 'borderline' ones on this cred that we spend the next 2 years arguing about - then furie wades in with that inversion-or-not diagram.

Remember Iron Shark? That started with 3 inversions then after a lot of BITCHING RCDB changed it to 1!

Jake said:
...then furie wades in with that inversion-or-not diagram.
Ha. I've only seen that diagram twice in the past year, it's by no means enough.

Also, I'm STILL not loving the "world beating" statement, you can't beat the world with a coaster, **** you Alton.

Lofty said:
Jake said:
...then furie wades in with that inversion-or-not diagram.
Ha. I've only seen that diagram twice in the past year, it's by no means enough.

It has yellow in it. That makes it OFFICIAL!!! :lol:

Jake said:
Martyn B said:
Is it just me, or does it look like the right hand side of the cobra roll isn't actually going to invert?

399358_10151244148858087_1265153406_n.jpg

Looks to me like it's going to be more of an overbanked turn.

I've got a feeling that with so many inversions there are going to be a few 'borderline' ones on this cred that we spend the next 2 years arguing about - then furie wades in with that inversion-or-not diagram.

Remember Iron Shark? That started with 3 inversions then after a lot of BITCHING RCDB changed it to 1!

Off topic, but Duane put 3 inversions because that's what the press release said. If he changed it subsequently, it's because after it opened, elements didn't meet HIS definition of inversions. I could ask, but it really doesn't matter because I already know the answer.

I'm looking forward to it, they always make it interesting and exiting in one way or another

Same with Rage Jake, some people say it only inverts twice.

I find World Beating such a strange phrase myself.

I think the reason why people looked into things too much was because there wasn't anything else to discuss. Conversations of mud can only go on for so long whilst being interesting.
Besides it was fun speculating... in till... the rumours...

Hmm, thinking about it, I wonder if SW7 will hold the title of world's longest inverting roller coaster?

Just a thought.

I think the trick track rumour had to come from somewhere, personally. Whether or not it'll actually happen on this is a different matter. Whilst I think "world beating" is an odd choice of words, I think Bob is right. I don't necessarily think it tells us anything.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

I'm personally wary of 'records' myself. If that is what World Beating implies.
I watched many Record-Breaking TV shows as a child and it always annoyed me that the focus of the coverage was always on the matter that the person attempting the record:

Swallowed 1 extra sword.
Was unable to swallow 1 extra sword.

Instead of the guy is able to swallow any swords at all without dying.

Basically, I don't want the 'gimick' to over-shadow the magnificence of the layout. AT are lucky to have such an interesting layout whilst having something new. Air and Oblivion's layouts were compromised because a lot of resources were put into developing the coaster itself. Height and noise limits didn't help either. At least Oblivion's scenery and atmosphere was able to take advantaged of the minimalist layout. SW7 will be the most interesting coaster with a 'new' factor since Nemesis. Assuming you assume the second Suspended B&M coaster to still be new at the time of opening. I guess with AT aiming this coaster to be for Thrill seekers, they had to pull out all the stops to have an exciting layout with such tight restrictions.

I only got caught up with speculation of the 'world's first' because it was the only topic which I could contribute to. My knowledge of soil is very limited sadly.

And the rumour came from TT from 'multiple' anonymous sources.

FaceYourNemesis said:
Hmm, thinking about it, I wonder if SW7 will hold the title of world's longest inverting roller coaster?

California Screaming is over 6000ft long, where as this is reported as being less than 4000ft.

Hate to say this, but the Towers twitter account has denied any link to that video, apparently it's nothing more than a fan trailer.

Theme Parks must be one of the only companies where people will do their marketing for them :lol:

spicy said:
Theme Parks must be one of the only companies where people will do their marketing for them :lol:
SO true. Ha. I can see why some of them get annoyed by it and have to state that it's not theirs. It can actually be pretty damaging for a company/individual if someone is posing to be them, though.

If the individual hadn't 'pretended' it was real then I see no problems with it.
It should have been present in a 'dry manner'. Where it is not indicated whether it is official or not. The fact there is a little Bio strongly implying a connection to the MoJ can be damaging.

If it was "dry" then people could still think it's official. But then the user will not be vulnerable from backlash if the 'free advertisement' is negative because all the user did was post the logo. The user didn't claim to be linked to SW7. But they did...

Basically, I see no harm in enthusiasts jumping on the band-wagon of viral marketing. Isn't that the point of viral marketing? Getting into the imagination of the public who 'spread word-of-mouth'. Like how in Heroes of Newerth (a Multiplayer PC game by account icon is the SW7 [I have permission from AT to use it]) or forum avatars. But passing off as a 'legitimate' font of advertisement is bad.

I personally like the video itself. It's mysterious and random (if you have no idea what the symbol means). You remember the icon. I just have a problem with the biography attached to the Youtube account. There's too much crab on the internet/youtube that's passed off as being OFFICIAL.

I know this is a bit lazy of me but has the offical plot/story of the ride been revealed yet? I've had one busy christmas and the only piece of SW7 I've seen in weeks is that photo of 5:14.

^ No, nothing apart from the face & "coming in 2013" has been officially announced by the park. All we know is that it is for definite tied in with The Sanctuary.

Status
Not open for further replies.