What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1st

Martyn B said:
Apparently, John Wardley has Tweeted this today:

It is rather sad that individuals insist on ruining the surprise. For the best experience next year, don't look at any airborne images

:lol:

Sorry to say, but that twitter account is fake. Some people sent a e-mail to John about the account, and he said he never used twitter in his life.

Smilies does not make a post un-toolish. Sarcasm does not translate well in text format. Text strangely lack a key element of tone of voice ;).

I like the irony of an enthusiast going out of their way to make a fake tweet to undermine the enthusiasts going out of their way to take aerial photographs.

I enjoy the slight bitchiness that's scattered around SW7 topics on various site. Often around photographs strangely.

I think perhaps since updates are still steady that the only other thing the communities can do is speculate some more or bitch. Or did up old content over again.

Martyn B said:
Apparently, John Wardley has Tweeted this today:

It is rather sad that individuals insist on ruining the surprise. For the best experience next year, don't look at any airborne images

"Instead, leave it to us to totally spoil the surprise with our Marketing which will make it blatantly obvious, ya know, like with Th1Rteen"

Sorry, cheap shot I know. It amuses me that the twitter account is a fake though. Its probably a rival site that are just jealous that they can't get themselves a helicopter to take their own... (Im starting to question whether Ian really has been away from the forums to work on park guides ya know :lol:)

Alton sent out this image today

399358_10151244148858087_1265153406_n.jpg

Not enough trees in the way and they could have hired a helicopter for an aerial view ;)

Can't even twig why (it's a curve into an inversion lul) but I echo the views above, that image is awesome.

It'll never be ready in time!!!!11 omg mebbe it will!

There is really nothing I can say about that image besides echo the above comments and say oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Although I am looking forward to seeing the final structure because in the plans it was such a 'mess' of steel but in a cool way. I love a really dense coaster structure.

It looks like its the top of the cobra roll, but it looks quite low down.... unless thats just perception?

I think it's quite low, it does go into a pit small though. And yeah it's the cobra roll and part of the weird batwing thing that it weaves around!

I admire the effort that's gone into the face, it really is such a complex piece of graphic design.

Is it just me, or does it look like the right hand side of the cobra roll isn't actually going to invert?

399358_10151244148858087_1265153406_n.jpg

Looks to me like it's going to be more of an overbanked turn.

I just wanna add my 2p to this topic, as I've been following for a while but not actually contributed.

I think some people are reading too deeply into this "worlds first/beating" business. I think this ride is new in a sense it's not a coaster that has been done by the manufacturer before, as it's not a euro fighter and it has a new seating configuration (4 by 4 trains). Similar to how Air wasn't really a worlds first, it was simply a new ride type for B&M. This may just be Grustler's new duelling coaster design. Nothing ground breaking or unusual, but a new ride type non the less.

But that's not to say what we've already seen in the plans isn't exciting, I feel some people are overlooking the outdoor layout here! I mean it's a LONG ride for the UK, with 2 lifts and 8 inversions, with a potential duelling element where you're racing the train in front/behind you and and interesting theme/back story. Why add anything more! The swirling logo/early double helix promotional images I feel is just referring to the amount of inversions and how twisted the outside section will look. By changing the wording to world beating they may just be referring to the fact they feel this ride will be the "best... something" which they can get away with because it's purely opinion based! Similarly when they describe Nemesis as "the worlds most intense" or Th13teen as "the worlds scariest".

As for the indoor section, we may see some dark-ride elements as the train makes it's way to the lift. Similar to Saw or Nemesis Inferno. But IMO I don't think it needs any crazy Th13teen style trick track washing machine element, when the outdoor section is so stella! why spend more money than you need, there's nothing on the plans that suggests any room for it, even Th13teen's plans showed the underground tunnel. After the past 3/4 coaster instalments Alton Towers have made have been so focused on gimmicks, installing a coaster that just purely focuses on crazy twisted "upside downy bits" will more than please the average guest.

I may be wrong but it's what I think anyway.

On a side note though, I have heard somewhere that this ride will include a new lift system that will allow trains to be reversed off the lift in the event of an evacuation to make it easier for people to get out. As evacuating on vertical lifts is bait a nightmare.

^^ I think you have a good point but I just dont think they would put such a big deal on the "Worlds First" element if it was just a first for the manufacturer, or the train type. I do however hope that it isn't a gimmick like Thirteen, or the spinning effects mentioned earlier in the thread.

Also agree with the comments about the images, wasn't sure about the logo at first but as they are releasing more promotional material, the logo is definitely growing on me.

Rachel said:
Also agree with the comments about the images, wasn't sure about the logo at first but as they are releasing more promotional material, the logo is definitely growing on me.

I love the logo! It actually looks sinister and dystopian...

Status
Not open for further replies.