What's new

The TV we watch...

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Hunters on Amazon Prime

I have two episodes left, and the show is ****ing incredible. It's another alt history show (Man in the High Castle is on the docket for next week to finish) where Nazi have secretly been infiltrating US Government since the end of WW2 and they are being hunted by Holocaust survivers, hence the name Hunters

Watch it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Matt N

CF Legend
Friday Night Dinner (Season 6 Episode 1: The Caravan)
I always like an episode of Friday Night Dinner, and this one was no exception! Jackie's excitement at the boys' news made me laugh, and I loved seeing things like
Jackie & Martin talking over walkie talkie
and
Martin trying to steal the dinner and take it into the caravan
. Overall, this was a good laugh, and I look forward to next week's episode!

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Bit late to the party here, but quarantine measures plus the arrival of Disney+ in the UK means I've finally started watching The Mandalorian. It's pretty good, I think I like it. We're being drip-fed episodes here in Blighty (no doubt to prevent everyone binge watching the whole thing in the 7 day free trial) so we've only got 4 episodes so far, but I'm enjoying them. Bit light on depth and character, the story doesn't really have any meat to it yet, but the tone, the effects, the visual cameos and references to the main saga are just about enough to keep it interesting... for now at least. But it is gonna have to get better pretty soon if people are expected to stay with it for the long haul.

jj23w

Hyper Poster
I was bored and binge watched all of The Walking Dead, I’ll put it in a ranked order going from best to worst: 10,9,8,6,5,4,3,7,1,2. It may of had a few lacklustre seasons but it has now picked up and is getting better and better.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Been re-watching a few of my favourite TV shows recently, mainly ones I hadn't seen in a while.

One show in particular being Utopia, the Channel 4 series which aired from 2013 - 2014 before sadly being cancelled.

In my opinion, Utopia is probably one of the best, most original shows that Channel 4 (or any UK channel) has put out in the last 15-20 years. It's well written, beautifully shot, and the cast are excellent in bringing the characters to life. Neil Maskell is f&cking fantastic in this as the main antagonist Arby. Well worth a watch if you haven't see it before. It's not quite the same as Black Mirror but at times it gives off similarly haunting vibes and there's a lot of focus on society and world events that plays perfectly into the story arc.

I wholeheartedly believe this show is something Netflix should pick up and produce, as the 2nd series finished at a point where the story was unresolved and a lot more was due to take place.

And if that isn't enough, the original soundtrack is excellent!

FarleyFlavors

Mega Poster
In my opinion, Utopia is probably one of the best, most original shows that Channel 4 (or any UK channel) has put out in the last 15-20 years. It's well written, beautifully shot, and the cast are excellent in bringing the characters to life.
Agreed. It's a superb show.

An American remake produced by Amazon has recently finished filming. Even more than most film or TV remakes, it's seriously difficult to imagine how they can match the quality of the original.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Agreed. It's a superb show.

An American remake produced by Amazon has recently finished filming. Even more than most film or TV remakes, it's seriously difficult to imagine how they can match the quality of the original.

Yeah, definitely. What Utopia managed to do was produce an excellent show without much interference from C4 execs. This gave it a particularly interesting feel. Relatively low-budget, no big profiles, and didn't look too glossy or expensive. That's where the Amazon US remake may fall down. Also, it was refreshing for a British drama to come in strong at a time where streaming services began to take off and the market was saturated with US shows that had a high production value.

I reckon Black Mirror was significantly better before it was taken on by Netflix. Just hope I don't feel the same about the US/Amazon version of Utopia.

KJ7500

Roller Poster
I currently have HBO Now as my streaming service so I'm watching the current season of Westworld and have just started the Watchmen. Also back to making my way through the Larry Sanders Show as I missed out on it back in the day. I just finished season 4. Hilarious stuff. Hank is my favorite character. Like George on Seinfeld he's the funniest just cause he's the worst person.

davidm

Strata Poster
Corona-boredom-TV-watching;

Just watched the first ep of that Gangs of London that Sky are all hyping right now. Watched it because of the Gareth Evans link and the action (well fight) scenes were very well done (very violent it is) and it all looked good, most of the actors were good (apart from one of the main ones who was just awful). But the writing, oh the writing, just terrible. Almost turned it off half way through in fact (before any of the action kicked in) but thought I'd give Gareth the benefit of the doubt for the first ep at least. But will not be watching any more though as it is just laughable (and got more and more so towards the end of ep 1). Not recommended.

Also started watching Devs - because of the Alex Garland link. Only a couple of eps into that but liking it a lot. Bit slow, but nothing to complain about.

Finished season 3 of Ozark too recently - that was excellent. Almost as good as Better Call Saul which has also just finished a season and is a similar sort of setup (well Ozark was kinda Breaking Bad in Missouri but there's still a lot of parallels in the series).

Westworld s3 is not a patch on the earlier seasons either I think, but its still OK. Amusing to see sights of Singapore fitting in as futuristic LA and that funny place in Valencia that was also in Doctor Who recently popping up now and then :)

Picard was OK on Amazon, but think I preferred the recent series on Netflix overall - never was a Next Generation fan.

As for the comments above on Utopia - I remember loving the first season, but not the second. Might be due a rewatch?

Howie

Donkey in a hat
After Life.

This Ricky Gervais 'dramady' about a bloke coming to terms with the death of his wife, premiered on Netflix over the weekend. S'good, I liked it. It's a simple tale about a delicate subject matter, but it's handled with sensitivity and good humour. Very emotional at times, too.
There's only 6 episodes, so a nice easy one to smash out on a lazy afternoon. Defo worth a watch.

Just finished watching series 2.
It's ok, but definitely not as good as the first one. I mean, it's quite funny in places and there's a few really touching moments, but it just doesn't go anywhere. Literally nothing happens. Whereas series 1 had a point, a story arc (albeit a very simple one) and something resembling a resolution, it would seem that Gervais wrote himself into a corner because series 2 just ends up rehashing the same scenes, themes and ideas and finishes up in exactly the same place as before.
Mildly disappointing. 3/5.

Matt N

CF Legend
Last night was the finale episode of Friday Night Dinner Season 6, and I thought it was absolutely fantastic! Plenty of moments where I was absolutely dying with laughter, and also some very poignant and bittersweet bits as well; definitely ended the series on a high note!

If I'm being honest, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was the last ever episode; much of the dialogue felt very final, if you get what I mean, especially in the second half.

Accidentally posted this in the wrong thread so here it is in the correct thread!

After Life

Loved it... My only complaint is that I wish there was more. It has 2 seasons but the entire thing is under 6 hours. As far as the show itself, it has a lot of really funny moments where I genuinely belly laughed, and a lot of moments where I sobbed. Even though nothing remarkable happens, the characters are quirky and I think it captures grief in a raw way that I have not seen before on TV. The second season is a little darker and less funny but still fantastic. As Howie said, it doesn't have much of a story arc but I didn't think it really needed one.

9.5/10

In the process of watching Vikings right now. Soooo good and the men are delicious.

InsomniaMelon

Mega Poster
Last night was the finale episode of Friday Night Dinner Season 6, and I thought it was absolutely fantastic! Plenty of moments where I was absolutely dying with laughter, and also some very poignant and bittersweet bits as well; definitely ended the series on a high note!

If I'm being honest, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was the last ever episode; much of the dialogue felt very final, if you get what I mean, especially in the second half.

I love Friday Night Dinner but I would be happy for that to be the last series. They should make Christmas specials but I think the storyline is complete.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Matt N

CF Legend
I love Friday Night Dinner but I would be happy for that to be the last series. They should make Christmas specials but I think the storyline is complete.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Maybe they could do a movie, like the Inbetweeners did?

Cstrcrzy1

Roller Poster
If you're into medical dramas then I personally enjoy watching the resident on Fox. Good show with a good cast and some exciting storylines.

P.S. - okay I admit my opinion is a little biased because I've actually had the chance to work on this show

pvnks

Mega Poster
I've been watching Netflix's High Score, a history of video games.

Lo and behold; 7 minutes into episode 4... Super slick off-ride shots in Fuji-Q!

Turns out Sonic's level design was directly inspired by rollercoasters.

I knew I adored that hedgehog for a reason.