What's new

The TV we watch...

Will

Strata Poster
I'm going even further down memory lane than usual today.

When I was six, my favourite thing in the world was The Private Life of Plants. So, imagine my joy when I found out Attenborough's Green Planet series had started airing last night. It's very good and has has a sloth in it :)

My brother's quite right - it makes no sense that I'm interested in this and yet Biology A-Level left me totally cold. Maybe if my teacher had been David Attenborough - or better yet, Megan McCubbin ;)

I also feel the need to apologise to an ex that I once compared to a Nepenthes plant, if I ever see her again...

And on a similar note, HOW many horror tropes did the Rafflesia inspire?!

Last edited:

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Plants are ****ing ace - really float my (plant powered?) boat. The biodiversity of angiosperms makes me giddy… the evolution of the flower and the discovery of the ABC model - oh my! *swoon*

Howie

Donkey in a hat
It's early days yet (I'm only 4 episodes in) but so far I'm quite enjoying the Reacher series on Prime. So much more convincing to have Jack Reacher played by a genuine, gigantic, mountain of a man (as he was written in the books), rather than weedy, teeny little Tom Cruise.
Yes, I know this will be quite shocking to some but it's true.... I do occasionally read books. 😉

Matt N

CF Legend
I’ve recently been watching various series; me and my parents have gotten into a bit of a routine of watching a comedy series with our dinner in the evenings, and it’s seen me watching quite a few different series.

Friday Night Dinner
I’ve watched this before, but we recently re-watched the entire series, and I’d forgotten quite how much I like it! There are some absolutely cracking episodes (The Fox is a particular favourite of mine!), the whole dynamic just works very nicely, and I don’t think the character of Martin Goodman and some of his antics will ever not be hilarious to me! I think Jim is a great character as well!

Blackadder (Series 2-4)
I’ve got to say, this was quite funny, although possibly showing its age a tad when watched in 2022. I’d say my favourite series was Blackadder Goes Forth, although all 3 certainly had their funny moments. I’ve got to say that I thought Baldrick as a character was consistently very funny, and I thought that the whole dynamic between him and Blackadder was written very well!

Fawlty Towers
Of the two older BBC sitcoms, I’d probably say I preferred this to Blackadder, although as with Blackadder, some episodes and elements of it are definitely showing their age when watched in 2022. Being completely honest, I’m unsure whether some episodes and elements of it are exactly politically correct by modern standards (for instance, the way the characters often treat Manuel and the entire episode of The Germans are things that I’m not sure would fly in the present day). In spite of that, however, I think there are still many very funny bits; the whole show has that slapstick/gentle comedy vibe I enjoy, and some scenes such as where Basil gives the car “a damn good thrashing” are still absolutely hilarious!

Derry Girls
Before watching, I was unsure whether I’d necessarily like this, but my dad thought I’d like it, describing it as being “funny family dynamics” in a similar vein to Friday Night Dinner. And I must say, he was right, because this show was definitely a pleasant surprise! I very much liked the whole dynamic of it, and there were many really funny moments; a particular favourite episode of mine was the one where the family goes to a wedding and the group dabbles with drug-laden scones (I don’t know the actual episode name…). I also thought it was very clever in how it managed to be surprisingly poignant at times as well as funny; not too many shows are able to do that. I certainly look forward to watching the rest of Series 3 as it airs on Channel 4!

The Inbetweeners
I didn’t watch this one with my parents, instead watching it alone. And I only watched a few episodes of it (I think I watched the first 3 or 4 episodes of Season 1?). I decided to give The Inbetweeners a try on the basis that it’s often compared to Friday Night Dinner, and a lot of people seem to really like it, so I was kind of expecting something akin to FND, but based around sixth form students instead of a Jewish family. However, I’m sorry to say that this one wasn’t for me at all. As someone who doesn’t care for sexual/vulgar humour, I found it rather uncomfortable viewing on the whole, as it seems like everything the group does relates to sex/getting with girls in some way and builds upon that as its main punchline, and a lot of the humour is quite vulgar. I think I laughed once across the 4 episodes I watched, and that was when the door flew off of Simon’s car as the gang pulled into Thorpe Park, which is definitely more on the slapstick side. If you like that kind of thing, I understand why it might appeal to you, but perhaps controversially, that sort of thing isn’t really my bag. Also, I’m not sure whether this is the late teens “woke warrior” in me talking, but I feel like elements of it haven’t aged especially well for a show that’s not overly old. Does it make me overly sensitive if I say that bits of Inbetweeners could possibly be construed as offensive in this day and age?

I notice that I’m referring to things “showing their age” a fair amount. For clarity, that’s an observation rather than a criticism; I get that these shows were made in a different time.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Season 3 of The Boys.
That bit at the beginning of episode 1 - you know the bit I mean, the bit with the... I can't even begin to describe it but... OMFG! 😮
Still not entirely sure whether I 'like' this show... but I can't stop watching.

Stranger Things 4. Properly good, this. Season 4 seems a wee bit disjointed at the moment as the various members of the group are all off doing their own thing, but it looks like the next batch of episodes (due July 1st, I think?) will bring them all together nicely for a big finale. Bring it on.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Stranger Things 4. Properly good, this. Season 4 seems a wee bit disjointed at the moment as the various members of the group are all off doing their own thing, but it looks like the next batch of episodes (due July 1st, I think?) will bring them all together nicely for a big finale. Bring it on.

Yes, I loved this. I was a bit unsure after the first episode or two, as it felt like the whole thing was quite disconnected from the 'universe' and mythology of Stranger Things, but it does a great job at building into it, and I imagine (/ hope / expect) that it will be fully tied in in the final two episodes of the season.

Also agree about the slightly disjointed feeling with everyone being everywhere, and a couple of characters now feeling like spare parts...but again, hope / expect that will be sorted out in the final two episodes.

rob666

Hyper Poster
My good lady binged the whole Stranger Things job over the Jubilee.
I half watched the first few...and gave up.
Bit like the goonies.

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
That bit at the beginning of episode 1 - you know the bit I mean, the bit with the... I can't even begin to describe it but... OMFG!
Now, I haven't watched the show yet to see what you might be talking about, but judging by the Boys wiki's plot synopsis the beginning doesn't seem to be really...eventful? The movie premieres, the dude leading the supes company announces they have government oversight, two characters go at it on the toilet, The Boys get a green light for some mission, two folks enter a party, the shrinky dude goes at it with a doll and then explodes a guy....

Again, however, I haven't watched the show at all yet and am just going off the TV Tropes episode page and the plot synopsis on the Boys wiki.

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
Well, when you put it like that, yeah, it does sound kinda uneventful, but... uhm... yeah, that is over simplifying things a smidge...
Yeah, I would have explained the circumstances, but figured saying "...and then the shrinky dude crawled inside of a man's unmentionables and then sneezed and blew the guy up" would have been a bit too NSFW for the forum.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I'm only about 10 years behind the curve with this one, but seeing as there's a new series out (not to mention a maze thingy at Thorpe Park) I thought I'd give Black Mirror a watch.
S'good.
Really good. I like it lots. Some episodes are better than others, obviously, but on the whole I'm very impressed.
Had no idea it was created by Charlie Brooker, of all people. Yes, that's the bloke off of @davidm 's profile picture. Thought he was a comedian?
Although having said that, there is some very clever, wry humour beneath all the disturbing, techno-paranoia here.

I'm on series 3 at the moment and just finished the episode 'Nosedive', which has probably been my favourite one so far, despite Bryce Dallas Howard playing the most annoying character ever (again 🙄).
'White Christmas' was another good one - imagine having your conscience transferred into an Alexa type device and being made to experience 3 weeks of doing absolutely nothing in a matter of seconds? Sound cruel? How about 10,000 years? Nightmare fuel, right there.

The one with the killer robot bees was a bit sh*t tho. Nothing's perfect, I guess.
Looking forward to watching the rest.
Might even do the stupid mirror maze when I'm at Thorpe next.
Maybe.

Efan

Mega Poster
'White Christmas' was another good one - imagine having your conscience transferred into an Alexa type device and being made to experience 3 weeks of doing absolutely nothing in a matter of seconds? Sound cruel? How about 10,000 years? Nightmare fuel, right there.
Not to mention the 10,000 years of Christmas music.

Matt N

CF Legend
We just started watching The Office (US) today, and I have to say that the first six episodes, which we watched today, were absolutely brilliant! Michael Scott is a brilliantly crazy character, and there are many moments of absolute hilarity; I must admit that I do find that style of cringeworthy humour quite funny, and many moments of The Office execute this brilliantly, being toe-curling and hilarious in equal measure!

If this is what the first series is like, then I thoroughly look forward to watching the other series that are still to come!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
If this is what the first series is like, then I thoroughly look forward to watching the other series that are still to come!
Oh mate - strap in. The Office is a masterpiece (for the most part).

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Oh mate - strap in. The Office is a masterpiece (for the most part).

Yeah it's a great show. Is it better than Ricky Gervais' original though? For me... no, not even close. The Office (UK) was the true masterpiece, Carrell & Co will always be playing second fiddle to David Brent, the undisputed king of cringe!

In a somewhat tenuous link, that brings me to my next topic: remember Gareth (Mackenzie Crook) from the original? His little show Detectorists has just dropped on Netflix... and it's dead good. Nothing too heavy, just a charming, quietly hilarious little comedy about two metal detecting geeks. I clocked it when it first aired on BBC but seeing as it's just hit streaming I started watching again and found it very easy to binge watch all 3 series over this last few rainy few days. Really nicely filmed too, some lush scenery, somehow manages to make Essex look like The Shire, which is quite the achievement. 😉

Worth a watch. 👍

Matt N

CF Legend
Yeah it's a great show. Is it better than Ricky Gervais' original though? For me... no, not even close. The Office (UK) was the true masterpiece, Carrell & Co will always be playing second fiddle to David Brent, the undisputed king of cringe!
That’s interesting, because my mum and dad both seem to think that the American Office was the superior of the two.

They also thought that the American Office would be more to my taste humour-wise than the British Office, as someone who often doesn’t really get sarcastic humour.

If the US Office gets even better from Season 2, though, I thoroughly look forward to seeing the remaining seasons!

Matt N

CF Legend
I recently finished watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine for the first time. My sister told me for years that she thought I’d really like it… and I have to say, she was right! I absolutely loved Brooklyn Nine-Nine!

All the characters are great. I particularly liked Jake Peralta, but I’d also have to say that Captain Holt gets more and more hilarious as the show goes on, and grew to possibly be my favourite character towards the end! In general, though, I think the whole ensemble are great and work really well together.

Pretty much every episode is really funny, and some of them were just utterly hilarious! If anything, I actually thought it got better as it went on; it certainly didn’t decline towards the end like some shows do, anyhow!

Another good thing I’d say about Brooklyn Nine-Nine compared to other American sitcoms I’ve watched is that it has really good Halloween episodes. On other American shows I’ve watched, the Halloween episodes often aren’t anything overly remarkable compared to the other episodes, but I absolutely loved the Halloween heist episodes of Brooklyn Nine-Nine! Whenever the characters battle each other to crown “the ultimate human/genius”, you’re in for a treat, in my view!

So overall, then, I absolutely loved Brooklyn Nine-Nine and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone looking for a feel-good, funny show to watch!

redheadedRobin

Mega Poster
Another good thing I’d say about Brooklyn Nine-Nine compared to other American sitcoms I’ve watched is that it has really good Halloween episodes. On other American shows I’ve watched, the Halloween episodes often aren’t anything overly remarkable compared to the other episodes, but I absolutely loved the Halloween heist episodes of Brooklyn Nine-Nine! Whenever the characters battle each other to crown “the ultimate human/genius”, you’re in for a treat, in my view!
I love the Halloween episodes too! While I haven't rewatched the whole show again, every year I have a B99 halloween marathon and it's always so entertaining

Jarret Stroud

Roller Poster
Scooby Doo

Am I the only one who thought the episode “The Creepy Heap from the Deep” was scary or at least creepy? I still do! The Soulless Captain Clements chasing Shaggy and Scooby and while Shaggy and Scooby are trapped the way he says “Now your spirits will be mine” creeps me out especially when I was a kid. I love episode tho!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Will

Strata Poster
I finally got around to watching Wednesday. Now I'm annoyed that the infamous 'famous women' thread is locked*.

On a serious note, it was actually a lot better than I'd expected - I nearly always enjoy Tim Burton, though I'm heartened to hear Series 2 is rumoured to focus more on the dark, horror elements and less on the coming-of-age-drama. It's the only thing other than House of the Dragon I've thoroughly enjoyed sitting down to watch this year (my concentration span is ****ing shocking).

*not so much in character, I hasten to add