What's new

What's next for RMC?

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Re: What's next for RMC? New Concept Coaster (page 4)

I'm quite confused by this. More info would be much appreciated

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

cjbrandy said:
I'd expect a coaster built with that track to be extremely smooth, it looks very strong.
It's unbelievably strong.

Ben said:
I don't understand what it's meant to achieve?

It's like filled in B&M track?

You might need to explain why it's exciting Jerry.
Hixee said:
Ew.

I'm looking forward to hearing what this is for, but I can't help wonder what the point is...

I'm with Ben, this isn't exciting yet, just wtf.

Are they going after PAX?
It's a new single track concept coaster that will change the industry. They can do things with this that have never been done before - never even been thought about before! I can't go into any details (obviously), but it has many benefits compared to dual track coasters - especially the span distances. Prepare to see coasters that look like nothing you've seen before and they won't look or ride like what PAX has done in the past. This is RMC after all.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

When a park chooses RMC to convert/build a coaster, like B&M, they are guaranteeing themselves a high quality coaster so I look forward to seeing how RMC use this new track. Another thing I really like about it is because its so unique and different, it will probably get Merlin's attention meaning we Brits could see something built with this track at Alton or Thorpe!

davidm

Strata Poster

Seems to be a lot more steel (a lot more weight?) in one-big-track than two "traditional" two-track rails. Be interesting to see where they go with this then. Can see how it would require much less support structure though, that alone would make for stuff that just looked unlike anything else out there.

Nice exclusive tho' Jerry :)

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

...I can't even. I am especially interested in how this one will turn out. It does appear that there is little-no room for a lift chain(unless if there's special track made for that), so does that mean a new kind of lift hill/propulsion system?

CarolinaRider

Mega Poster

ECG said:
Ben said:
I don't understand what it's meant to achieve?

It's like filled in B&M track?

You might need to explain why it's exciting Jerry.
Hixee said:
Ew.

I'm looking forward to hearing what this is for, but I can't help wonder what the point is...

I'm with Ben, this isn't exciting yet, just wtf.

Are they going after PAX?
It's a new single track concept coaster that will change the industry. They can do things with this that have never been done before - never even been thought about before! I can't go into any details (obviously), but it has many benefits compared to dual track coasters - especially the span distances. Prepare to see coasters that look like nothing you've seen before and they won't look or ride like what PAX has done in the past. This is RMC after all.
Your description scares me in a really, really good way. When can we expect RMC to elaborate on this?

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

I'll be posting the portion of the tour I filmed yesterday where Fred and I discuss it soon, but he doesn't give away too much yet. They won't be talking a lot other than to the parks that they're currently speaking with about it. However, I'm sure they're going to discuss it more on camera with me during the IAAPA Attractions Expo.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Interesting, I love RMC.

So is this only a concept prototype or will we be seeing it being used in the near future? Ie: do they have an order for this type of track.

I was going to ask if they will do a big reveal at IAAPA...

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

I will be interesting in seeing what the wheel assembly would look like, and where wheel contacts would be located. I would especially be interested in terms of performance, and if the single rail gives greater maneuverability options than two rails.

Thanks for sharing the photos Jerry!

The Hedgehog

Mega Poster

Hyde said:
I will be interesting in seeing what the wheel assembly would look like, and where wheel contacts would be located. I would especially be interested in terms of performance, and if the single rail gives greater maneuverability options than two rails.

Thanks for sharing the photos Jerry!

Serious question, how would it give greater maneuverability as compared to say....An Intamin which is also a single "track" design for all intents and purposes. I do like the idea that it's much more strong than the traditional meaning possibility of less supports and not looking like anything we are used to seeing.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

I predict that this track could make for great terrain coasters because the track is so strong and beefy it could just rest itself on the ground, saving money on supports and being easier to build.

Ryan B

Roller Poster

May be a bit out there, but could it be using electro magnetic suspension or a similar thing? Less wear, requires less maintenance and smooth. I think it could be this possibly.

672hOMi.jpg

Wikipedia on electromagnetic suspension - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro ... suspension

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016

Probably about to look like an idiot here, but...

My thinking has been that the shear insanity you can get out of I-Box track has been due to how it's fabricated. I always thought it was pieces of metal cut out of a sheet and then bent in one direction to be welded into a box, as opposed to traditional round rails that have to be bent into shape, pulling and pushing all over the metal grain structure. This could allow for tighter radii when being fabricated. My guess with this track is that it's going to take that to the next level, giving us insanely tight radii and even more insane RMC goodness.

A tour of the factory like Jerry just took could easily prove me wrong but that's how I always imagined they fabricated their I-Box track, and I think this is just an extension of that concept that requires less supporting. I could very well be wrong but that's my guess based on an assumption.

Smithy

Strata Poster

Still don't see how it's going to be anything other than a Pax style track but with an RMC type layout.

I'll wait until there's a bit more info about what they can actually do with it before getting excited tbh.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

Ian said:
So is this only a concept prototype or will we be seeing it being used in the near future? Ie: do they have an order for this type of track.

I was going to ask if they will do a big reveal at IAAPA...
This piece of track was simply to prove to themselves that it could be done, but you should be seeing it in the not too distant future as RMC is in discussion with a few "select" parks about purchasing one. However, don't expect to see any reveal at this year's IAAPA Attractions Expo.
The Hedgehog said:
Serious question, how would it give greater maneuverability as compared to say....An Intamin which is also a single "track" design for all intents and purposes. I do like the idea that it's much more strong than the traditional meaning possibility of less supports and not looking like anything we are used to seeing.
Intamin (or any other manufacturer) is restricted due to the span of the track design and the supports required. With this concept, RMC can bend the track at will without the usual support structure that is currently required. This track can almost support itself, so imagine how high, far and twisted it can go with only a couple of supports needed for a huge segment of the structure. For example, they could easily build an entire coaster with multiple inversions, over-banked turns, maybe even an upward spiral spanning between two of Morey's piers with only a single support between the two piers (to use a concept that has been kicking around for a decade or more now).
Ryan B said:
May be a bit out there, but could it be using electro magnetic suspension or a similar thing? Less wear, requires less maintenance and smooth. I think it could be this possibly...
Yeah, that is out there and not going to happen. They will be using similar suspension, etc. that they are currently using for their I-Box track - with slight modifications obviously. This design comes from their I-Box design and will be similar to it, only different. It will have even less bolting, less connections, less everything - including maintenance (which there is very little of right now). Parks are going to purchase these things and they are just going to run and run and run and...
Jarrett said:
Probably about to look like an idiot here, but...

My thinking has been that the shear insanity you can get out of I-Box track has been due to how it's fabricated. I always thought it was pieces of metal cut out of a sheet and then bent in one direction to be welded into a box, as opposed to traditional round rails that have to be bent into shape, pulling and pushing all over the metal grain structure. This could allow for tighter radii when being fabricated. My guess with this track is that it's going to take that to the next level, giving us insanely tight radii and even more insane RMC goodness.

A tour of the factory like Jerry just took could easily prove me wrong but that's how I always imagined they fabricated their I-Box track, and I think this is just an extension of that concept that requires less supporting. I could very well be wrong but that's my guess based on an assumption.
I'll be posting the full factory tour as soon as I'm allowed to do so (I filmed some stuff that Kentucky Kingdom still has make public about their coaster before I can post everything). I think you'll find that your assumption is pretty much spot on, so don't worry about looking like an idiot and just keep acting like one. :wink:

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016

^From what you've written it sounds like Intamin's double spine concept used on I305, Skyrush, and the Ferarri World coaster gone absolutely mad. The support structure is now worked into the track, and because it's that strong, it can do a lot. Sounds a lot like my Macrocoaster concept I came up with for my Theme Park Studio car design in that it could give us absolutely massive coasters that incorporate elements of both speed coasters and looping coasters, knowing RMC. Really excited to hear about this! It's absolutely brilliant (I've actually had similar ideas in the past) and I can't wait to see how they actually use this. I'm looking at you, Cedar Point!

But until then, back to acting like an idiot as you suggest. :p

EDIT: I'm actually more curious about the Storm Chaser thing you filmed now. :p

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster

cjbrandy said:
I predict that this track could make for great terrain coasters because the track is so strong and beefy it could just rest itself on the ground, saving money on supports and being easier to build.
Well, it's already done by Brandauer on their alpine coasters, so the concept is already there and probably something they could consider. It's only a matter of time a park has one designed. Would be a hell of a ride.

Great pics, Jerry! Really looking forward for the tour video!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

See Jerry's exclusive interview about the single rail here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO9I2O40Xlc[/youtube]

Exclusive for CF!

Thanks to RMC for giving us this exclusive access, and Jerry for making the trip and sharing the info!