What's new

Weird, Wacky & Strange Coaster Bits

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Again not a coaster but a good place to chuck this as any

Posted by Roller Coaster Dream here is a video of Flying Kiss at Wulong Baima Mountain in Chongqing, China.
Essentially 2 small flying island type rides designed in quite a cool artistic way to make a kissing sculpture when fully extended.

heres a few more photos ive dug up.
Kiss1.jpegKIss2.jpgKiss3.jpg

TilenB

Strata Poster
Again not a coaster but a good place to chuck this as any

Posted by Roller Coaster Dream here is a video of Flying Kiss at Wulong Baima Mountain in Chongqing, China.
Essentially 2 small flying island type rides designed in quite a cool artistic way to make a kissing sculpture when fully extended.

heres a few more photos ive dug up.
View attachment 8195View attachment 8196View attachment 8197
Cool find, though the music in that Tik Tok video doesn't really inspire much confidence in the design. ?

vaugc002

Mega Poster
That's actually a really fascinating contraption. I guess the air-as-brakes concepts is effective, although I'd worry about flaws in the metal tube at the bottom and it failing somehow.
100mph too is pretty crazy - I don't think a drop tower has beaten that since...

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
A water slide is sort of like a coaster, isn't it? In that it ... umm, okay, it's not a coaster.

But this thing is weird, wacky, strange, and above all terrifying. Credit to @kimahri for finding the video.

What is this, you say? It's a water slide with a twist... an underwater slide, that used to be in the waterpark at Duinrell. The pipe is full of water. It apparently uses the "Communicating vessels" principle to stay full of water at all times. There is a height difference between the two pools, and there must be some flow through the pipe, although not a very fast one given the pipe's diameter and the amount of water required. It could apparently be emptied in seconds in case of an emergency, which happened quite often. No wonder the slide isn't there anymore.

vaugc002

Mega Poster
The future is here ?. The robotic arm segment looks a bit basic but what an amazing feat.
Would love to see an evolution of this, where the arm can move the train around and then position it into a vertical or near-vertical drop like a tilt coaster.
So much scope for this!

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
This ride opened in 2017 ? i always thought it had just a drop track rather than a robot arm. its cool to see though.
I guess as the ride is in Harbin (Sunac Harbin (ex Wanda harbing) if you're interested) and is so far away from anywhere else its never got an enthusiast on it yet to notice the robot arm thing.

cocoa

Mega Poster
the upbeat tropical EDM and rct screams make that a slightly strange video. Also strange to build such an interesting concept and then make the visual effects totally crap :p

cookie

Giga Poster
Not a coaster but something I'd never seen before. An odd transport ride at the Swiss Pavilion of Shanghai Expo 2010

Quite a lot of footage in these videos although the videos are of other things as well.

Reminds me of the Mack Inverted Powered Coaster ala Arthur, just a lot slower.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
At first I wondered how they would get books out of the top shelves, but then I realized they're not. The books are just painted on the shelves above a certain height.

Still visually impressive, though!