What's new

Weird, Wacky & Strange Coaster Bits

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc2mU1X0mg8[/youtube]

This vekoma is all kinds of messed up. Sorry I couldn't find a CF video :(

Re: Weird, Wacky & Strange Coaster Bits

It's not all that unique. The same system was introduced by Togo way before the Mr Freeze coasters opened.

But how many TOGO's have it besides Momongo? There are many older wood coasters that use the load (or unload) position for a transfer table, but not very many that load on both sides of one.

Re: Weird, Wacky & Strange Coaster Bits

The loopscrew at Beijing Amusement Park had one, which means that any other of that type have also probably got them.

^Oh, it doesn't bloody matter. The point was, and still is, that the sliding track from Premier isn't "incredibly unique."

I am probably the only one who thinks this is weird but

4sm060cfgnbeph7h901vk0.jpg

This I just found strange because the loop doesn't fit the track. Was it going to be bigger but the train didn't make it? I don't know, but I thought it was strange.

^^OD Hopkins. Pretty much each of the few coasters they made has at least one oddity about it.

gavin said:
^Oh, it doesn't bloody matter. The point was, and still is, that the sliding track from Premier isn't "incredibly unique."

Perhaps not unique, Gavin, as even the two Mr. Freeze coasters referenced by the OP would exceed the definition of that word, but there's no denying that 4 or so cases we've identified out of the 6000+ coasters across history is pretty rare indeed.

The Big Apple at Coney is the only other coaster I can think of that had a transfer track in the station that riders normally experienced while on the coaster, but that one was even odder being a turntable. Wait, I never knew that had a twin in Denmark! Learn something new, eh?
(Astroland)
8pi3i003cq9gb2r4g1st01.jpg

Karolinelund)
0b9ko5hdia7eqk21l000md.jpg

^ I've never quite understood the point in that. I mean, they're cut the train short by a car or two, to enable an extra train, plus taking up a lot more space?

Are they really that popular that they need 2 trains?

Edward M said:
This I just found strange because the loop doesn't fit the track. Was it going to be bigger but the train didn't make it? I don't know, but I thought it was strange.

This is somewhere buried in this topic, but I remember someone saying that there was an older coaster that was torn down, but they decided to keep the loop supports.

Martyn B said:
^ I've never quite understood the point in that. I mean, they're cut the train short by a car or two, to enable an extra train, plus taking up a lot more space?

Are they really that popular that they need 2 trains?

I have no clue why they did it at the park in Denmark, but at Coney Island, that probably would have been a huge improvement on throughput. That place can get mad crazy. That particular ride is gone now, but it was cool to watch in operation.

rollermonkey said:
But how many TOGO's have it besides Momongo? There are many older wood coasters that use the load (or unload) position for a transfer table, but not very many that load on both sides of one.

There's "Standing and Loop Coaster," which is a hybrid stand-up coaster and sit-down looper, on the same track. It uses the dual-loading transfer table, which, though extraordinarily unsafe in this situation, works well.

^Also never opened and can't be removed. It is sort of weird just sitting there in the middle of Tokyo:

DSC00850_zps17204304.jpg