What's new

Thorpe Park |"The Swarm"| B&M Wing Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

^^

1317912456.jpg

1317910749.jpg

So we can see that half the final brake run is complete, nice pictures via thorpe park nerd :)

I take my last statement back, there are brakes there haha.

^^ Those images clears it up pretty good.
That section after the in-line will trim down the speed and then do a sweeping turn into the brakes (much like Rita).

^ Raptor on the other hand is designed to stop you on the brake-run after the in-line (which it do until the station is cleared). So seeing that part as a trim (which it looks to be on the images) is a good call when comparing the bankings.
Looks like they just are going to have magnetic brakes on that section since there is no holes in the track and it's not the "high spine" version to be able to put friction brakes on it as well...

bob_3_ said:
I take my last statement back, there are brakes there haha.

Wait? You weren't joking?

Everything up to this point has said that it was the brake run, why did you doubt it? Plus, are you not sure in thinking that turning is that heavily banked so the train can make such a tight manoeuvre or even to prevent extreme laterals if taken at a bit of speed?

Wait? You weren't joking?

Everything up to this point has said that it was the brake run, why did you doubt it?

Well we always assumed it was a brake run, but nothing explicitly says it the plans it is. So it was a possibility, as there's enough room for all the brakes in the straight piece after the corner. And the in-line on raptor isn't taken at the highest of speeds, I'm assuming this will be similar.

What I was really on about was whether or not these brakes will be block breaks (ie, likely to stop the train completely) Loefet's pretty much covered what I was saying about them being trims though.

are you not sure in thinking that turning is that heavily banked so the train can make such a tight manoeuvre or even to prevent extreme laterals if taken at a bit of speed?

Well actually, that was my point. I was saying it's heavily banked, so maybe there's no brakes before it.. Obviously I'm wrong as there's a few magnetic brakes in place.

Why's everyones so edgy on CF lately, I was just suggesting a theory.

just to say cos i forgot, i am not thorpe nerd and i didn't take the photos all credit goes to thorpe nerd.

The section looks good!

BTW, what makes you think that this won't operate like Raptor and the train won't be completely stopped before that turn? After all, it's a block section and shouldn't allow the train to roll unless the station is clear, like Raptor...

oriolat2 said:
The section looks good!

BTW, what makes you think that this won't operate like Raptor and the train won't be completely stopped before that turn? After all, it's a block section and shouldn't allow the train to roll unless the station is clear, like Raptor...

Because, on the picture, after the drop down it will enter another section of brakes, Easily long enough to hold the train. I'm not obviously 100% because I'm not the designer, but I doubt they would leave the train on the first set of brakes when there's a closer set nearer to the station.

They might use a trim earlier on in the ride to slow it down...

This ride should be up in no time now. Colour scheme looking great, but will this be completed before wild eagle?

CoasterCrazy said:
They might use a trim earlier on in the ride to slow it down...

This ride should be up in no time now. Colour scheme looking great, but will this be completed before wild eagle?

You'd think so, because Thorpe's is on a smaller scale, overall its a smaller ride height-wise.
The difficult terrain at Dollywood, like the man said in the construction video on their website, will slow them up, and obviously thorpe parks terrain is flat.

^Don't forget that some footers, haven't even been laid yet. Well the ones for the helicopter section haven't, and that will delay the construction. It can be seen in that pic of the whole site by the way if you're wonderin.

oriolat2 said:
There is no space for friction brakes on that section, as I said above, no holes or extra space between the rails and track to install a B&M friction brake, it seems like there are just magnetic brakes on it.
And since it just have magnetic brakes then it will never be a block section, think of it as the magnetic fins on the last hill on Rita or Desert Race. A bit of trimming down the speed before the final brake-run.

Yeah, agree'd! here's a closer look at the brake run. Certainly at the moment there's not alot there, my money's on it being like rita..

293501_229200693801904_163052343750073_586965_1042690175_n.jpg

and then here, (the picture below) you can see the supports down for the final brake section. So I take it they'll be doing that tomorrow :) .....

312547_229200880468552_163052343750073_586966_672357583_n.jpg

Credit for the pictures - Theme park guide - http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.229199177135389.66408.163052343750073&type=1

As promised some piccys of the first bits of Swarm track to be erected, have cropped and zoomed for those who like a closer look. Hope this makes you all happy now.....mostly taken from behind Stealth. These were what I took with my pocket camera 6.10.2011, the ones sent in advance were from iPhone and my mobile.

thorpeapday6103.jpg

thorpeapday6106.jpg

Closer view of that one, being transfer track area.

thorpeapday6106crop.jpg

thorpeapday6108.jpg

Now lets get in closer

thorpeapday6108crop2.jpg

Now to where all the action is

thorpeapday6109crop.jpg

thorpeapday61012crop.jpg

thorpeapday61025.jpg

thorpeapday61026crop.jpg

Back to the Chapel

thorpeapday61028.jpg

All bolted in

thorpeapday61029.jpg

thorpeapday61034.jpg

And the next bit is on its way

thorpeapday61038.jpg

thorpeapday61039.jpg

thorpeapday61040.jpg

thorpeapday61041.jpg

thorpeapday61042.jpg

thorpeapday61044.jpg

thorpeapday61045crop.jpg

thorpeapday61046.jpg

thorpeapday61047crop.jpg

thorpeapday61048crop.jpg

thorpeapday61049crop.jpg

thorpeapday61051.jpg

thorpeapday61053.jpg

And now the dangling track now in place a couple of hours later, with another piece being driven in by lorry, didn’t go back again as having too much fun in Mazes.
If at this rate they can turn track around in a couple of hours for those pieces close to the ground it could be up pretty fast. The higher pieces will take longer though, I might be going back Thursday(no promises), this time I will take a camera with a better zoom)

thorpeapday61054.jpg

thorpeapday61055.jpg

thorpeapday61056.jpg

thorpeapday61058crop.jpg

thorpeapday61059crop.jpg

thorpeapday61064crop.jpg

thorpeapday61065crop.jpg

Great pictures beans, wow, that track really is huge.

Must just be the angle that scews the depth somewhat but that bend off the banking looks sharp.

Is that a piece of theming arriving in the last picture?

Possibly, although I think it's a bit small, when riding you won't be able to see it well. :p

tks said:
Is that a piece of theming arriving in the last picture?

You know I have a plane in nearly every photo, so I think someone is trying to tell me something, I hope it arrives by road though and not fly in itself.....

Status
Not open for further replies.