What's new

Thorpe Park |"The Swarm"| B&M Wing Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

ry1996

Member
Re: The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

That looks awesome, very high to say its just an inversion.
Looks like the lift hill should be going up next then or near enough.
 

AJ

Active Member
Re: The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

I could be completely wrong, but i'm assuming Thorpe are erecting the inversions first to stimulate speculation in the run up for Fright Nights. [Probably a giant pile of bukaki].
That's not to say it won't all be up by the end of October, i'm sure it probably will be.

Just my thoughts anyway.
 

ry1996

Member
Re: The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

Update from today, scroll to the bottom of the page to see.
http://forum.maniahub.com/topic/9040-th ... __st__1380

All credit goes to The posters, looks like the supports are up now for the zero g roll now then.
And also i never thought this would go so quick, as of now, the 1st large support for the lift hill is in place, the lift hill bottom pieces are sat there ready to be put up tommorow i presume.
 

the king

Member
Re: The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

From what I see from those pics, I can tell that I was correct in the saying the beginning of the lift hill hasn't been placed yet. It can be seen clearly in the last pic. Anyway, great to see that things are moving on nicely. Shame on the trim though. Pic taken from the thorpe park mania forum update.
 

Joey

Well-Known Member
Re: The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

Why on earth would the plane be a mock? Surely it costs more to make a fake plane than just... buy an old broken one? Or am i severally misjudging the cost of an unusable plane?
 
Re: The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

Because the lift hill start and motor was put on site today, perhaps their going to install some parts of the hill, very exciting stuff ;)

I'm going tomorrow, so ill get some updates, from tidal wave if its hot enough.


Another image of the construction..
 

AJ

Active Member
Re: The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

jordypordy11 said:
if its hot enough.
It's gonna be BWARLIN' <3


Track has excited me, that support is absolutely bash-worthy. Sort of, not quite.



Joey, it was my understanding that to buy an old broken plane is cheaper then getting a fake one built, too.
 

Mr Nash

Member
Re: The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

Do we have any old aeroplane scrapyards over here? I know there's a huge one in America,but I didn't know if one existed in the UK.

It's great to see this finally go vertical,I've never been to a coasters opening day,this may well be my first one.
 

iblamefish

New Member
Re: The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

Mr Nash said:
Do we have any old aeroplane scrapyards over here? I know there's a huge one in America,but I didn't know if one existed in the UK.

It's great to see this finally go vertical,I've never been to a coasters opening day,this may well be my first one.
Not sure that we do. That one in America is filled with mostly military planes I think - and we recycle most of ours.

So excited to see it go vertical too! AT LAST!

I've never been to the opening day, but always been during week 2 or 3 for a new Alton/Thorpe ride. Tempted by opening day, but I find it always takes a week or two to iron out the wrinkles :) Nothing more frustrating than a 2 hour break down!
 

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Social Media Team
Re: The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

iblamefish said:
Mr Nash said:
Do we have any old aeroplane scrapyards over here? I know there's a huge one in America,but I didn't know if one existed in the UK.

It's great to see this finally go vertical,I've never been to a coasters opening day,this may well be my first one.
Not sure that we do. That one in America is filled with mostly military planes I think - and we recycle most of ours.
There always used to the three or four (occasionally up to about 10) 'large' planes that used to sit behind the Airbus factory at Filton in Bristol. They rarely had their jet-turbines attached, but they where complete planes that gradually got scrapped. They definitely weren't serviceable for flying any more. Some had holes in, others rusted up. I remember there was one once with no landing gear, it was just sat there. Go knows how they got it there! :p

I think if you where just making an outer shell of a plane (which is all they need), then part of me thinks it would be cheaper to fake it actually. You can bring in the sheet metal etc far more easily than you can half of a fuselage.
 

Ethan

Well-Known Member
Re: The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

TRIM! Oh well... hopefully it won't be used, and if it is, not to much. Nice to see vertical construction though, it's getting me really excited.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Re: The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

^ Based on it's location then I would guess that it's one of those (similar to them that are located on the bottom of Pretzel loops) to stop the train if it ever valleyed at that location, so that a safe evacuation can be done...

It's going to look MASSIVE!!
 

the king

Member
Re: The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

jordypordy11 said:
Because the lift hill start and motor was put on site today, perhaps their going to install some parts of the hill, very exciting stuff ;)
They have started to put up the lift hill, well the supports that is. In this pic you can see the start support of the lift hill up, very tall. :shock:
Pic was taken by Jonny392 on the thorpe mania forums.
 

Martyn B

Well-Known Member
Re: The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

I wouldn't have thought that is the first support for the lift hill...
 

Ethan

Well-Known Member
Re: The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

^ What do you mean? Of course it is, what else could it be? Or were you joking...
 

Joey

Well-Known Member
Re: The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

Hixee said:
iblamefish said:
Mr Nash said:
Do we have any old aeroplane scrapyards over here? I know there's a huge one in America,but I didn't know if one existed in the UK.

It's great to see this finally go vertical,I've never been to a coasters opening day,this may well be my first one.
Not sure that we do. That one in America is filled with mostly military planes I think - and we recycle most of ours.
There always used to the three or four (occasionally up to about 10) 'large' planes that used to sit behind the Airbus factory at Filton in Bristol. They rarely had their jet-turbines attached, but they where complete planes that gradually got scrapped. They definitely weren't serviceable for flying any more. Some had holes in, others rusted up. I remember there was one once with no landing gear, it was just sat there. Go knows how they got it there! :p

I think if you where just making an outer shell of a plane (which is all they need), then part of me thinks it would be cheaper to fake it actually. You can bring in the sheet metal etc far more easily than you can half of a fuselage.
I'd have thought if they could find a scrap plane they'd gut it and chop it up before bringing it on site. Whether te costs of that and transportation outweigh making a fake one... No idea. Thinking about it, they don't need all that much of a plane, so it probably will just make it. It's still a vast piece of theming though and it'll be exciting to see it arrive on site.
 

Martyn B

Well-Known Member
Re: The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

Ethan said:
^ What do you mean? Of course it is, what else could it be?
The second support for the lift hill?

The angle of the picture is most porobably making it look a lot closer to the station than it actually is.
 

Ollie

Well-Known Member
Re: The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

Another picture taken 10 minutes ago by UK Park News.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top