What's new

Thorpe Park |"The Swarm"| B&M Wing Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

Ethan said:
Joey said:
It'll be interesting to see what Alton does for 2013 off the back of this, I think. It seems they go through fazes of similar things once they get a success. By similar I mean in terms of scale, target audience, type, cost or theme, but not necessarily all of them.

*Phases*, lol :p

I think the 2013 coaster will definately reflect aspects of The Swarm, in terms of intensity. Hopefully it will have a slightly more interesting layout though. Also, it's nice to see that B&M are slowly fading back into what they used to be. Swarm and the Parc Asterix coaster both look very intense, just like Nemesis. So I really do hope that SW7 will be a hit with the slightly older market.

And if Nemesis does win the voting competition (which i'm sure it will), SW7 should be as good. :?
I think I'd rather be dyslexic than be delusional enough to think the rest of what you said.

Swarm doesn't look intense from an enthusiasts point of view, but it will convey intensity with it's visual appearance - It will be perceived as a intense ride. Whatever Alton does next will attempt to do the same. It's less about the actual ride experience and more about the experience that can be marketed.

Nemesis will win the voting competition because you can vote as many times as you like, meaning enthusiasts (who care) will outvote the general public. I think, were it left to the GP, Nemesis would not be winning.

Swarm's narrative and theme isa lot like Nemesis and Raptor, but I think it's crucial to notice the differences for a contemporary, skeptical, British teen audience too.

Calm down, I just told you how to spell it, it could come in useful. And the Swarm will be intense, or at least the first two elements will be. Also, you can't call ME delusional. You obviously just got offended because I made a small correction.

And I have asked a lot of my friends in fackbook what they voted for, and they almost all voted for nemesis, and they are NOT enthusuiasts. Maybe the GP will vote for it because it is actually a good ride! I'm far from delusional. The Parc Asterix coaster is more like nemesis than almost any other invert, because a lot of B&Ms newer coasters are quite tame to a lot of people.

Back on topic, I can't wait for the swarm to open. I couldn't really see alot of the track though, I'm guessing more will arrive once vertical construction begins. Also I'm guessing they build the track in 'chronological order', like what they are doing in Parc Asterix.

Ethan said:
And I have asked a lot of my friends in fackbook what they voted for, and they almost all voted for nemesis, and they are NOT enthusuiasts. Maybe the GP will vote for it because it is actually a good ride! I'm far from delusional. The Parc Asterix coaster is more like nemesis than almost any other invert, because a lot of B&Ms newer coasters are quite tame to a lot of people.

*Facebook* *enthusiasts* :p

I have a feeling parts of Swarm will be intense but maybe not as intense as you think it will be. Meh, I'm just looking forward to the UK getting another B&M, especially one with theming.

Ethan said:
Calm down, I just told you how to spell it, it could come in useful. And the Swarm will be intense, or at least the first two elements will be. Also, you can't call ME delusional. You obviously just got offended because I made a small correction.

Back on topic, I can't wait for the swarm to open. I couldn't really see alot of the track though, I'm guessing more will arrive once vertical construction begins. Also I'm guessing they build the track in 'chronological order', like what they are doing in Parc Asterix.
Not offended, but it's just unnecessary and only done to make me look like a fool.

And no, I do genuinely believe you're wrong. Swarm will not actually be intense by any stretch of the imagination. I spoke nothing of The Parc Asterix B&M because it's irrelevant. I have no proof that the majority of the votes for Nemesis are enthusiasts voting more than once, but in my opinion it's common sense.

It's the fact this thing has a heavy theme and is a huge B&M that's interesting. Not being intense doesn't = a bad ride. It's a major and exciting addition.

I didn't make the spelling correction to make you look foolish. A lot of people don't know how to spell things like that. I didn't until a few years ago. Parts of the coaster will be intense. I know it won't be extreme, partly because of the weight of the trains i'm guessing. Thats my opinion, and obviously your opinion is different.

And the Parc Asterix coaster was relevant to what I was saying. That coaster is a lot like B&Ms more daring, older coasters, and Swarm is similar to this.

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet so sorry if it has.
Was just looking at the image in the email Thorpe sent me.

Look at the bottom of the image.
main-content.jpg

Watersplash?

Most likely it'll be similar to Raptor's helix - a section that skims low over the water, with water jets shooting up water as the train goes past. The train won't touch the water at all, but you'll probably get sprayed slightly as the train goes past.

http://www.rcdb.com/9309.htm?p=34121

MouseAT said:
Most likely it'll be similar to Raptor's helix - a section that skims low over the water, with water jets shooting up water as the train goes past. The train won't touch the water at all, but you'll probably get sprayed slightly as the train goes past.

http://www.rcdb.com/9309.htm?p=34121

I really do hope the timing of the Swarm splash is a bit better than raptor, as every time I see Raptor's water splash it looks out of time with the train.

AS you can witness in Jerry's POV, you do get a bit wet with the faux splashdown!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu27Ph52_08&feature=channel_video_title#t=1m02s[/youtube]

I had always assumed it was going to have a faux-splashdown in that helicopter pool. Isn't it on the plans??

The plans don't show any sign of a faux-splashdown. Actually, I don't think any plans show any effects in a coaster.

Must have just got it into my head because Raptor does and I know Merlin are a bit obsessed by everything SeaWorld Parks do atm.

You don't need to put small effects like that in the planning permission, do you?

It would seem a bit pointless seeing as it goes 10 feet high! Is the effect on Raptor in it's plans?? I would'nt know where to find them.

Nah I don't think you need them on the plans, I just thought it was a fact it was getting a splashdown, so assumed that's where I heard it.

I think it's safe to say it will have one, though. Like I said, Merlin have a thing about them at the moment. They are really interested in "interactive" elements and the like.

i dont see Why people dont like raptor that Much tbh imo i think it looks ot be the best themed coaster After swarm, Whatever happens water ellement or not ittle be good.

i dont see Why people dont like raptor that Much tbh imo i think it looks ot be the best themed coaster After swarm, Whatever happens water ellement or not ittle be good.

I don't see how you came to the conclusion that The swim has better themeing that Raptor when the swem is only just bearly starting to exist, let alone have the footers place, the supports go up, the track to be put on and then the themeing. If you're going off concept art (do we even have any that is still, theoreticly, going up?) then drop that in comparisons... They break hearts.

Martyn B said:
Wow, I love the look of that foot/head chopper on the zero-g!

What chopper?? There's one on the in-line twist but I can't see one on the Zero G :/

Status
Not open for further replies.