What's new

Thorpe Park |"The Swarm"| B&M Wing Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

Nic said:
Ok, just studied the plans again. Even if they put in all the themeing that's on there, it still won't be nearly enough. Meh, back to being nonplussed for me then...

Indeed, after riding Raptor I went back to the Swarm plans to have a nosey at the various leg/head choppers... of which there are what? 3? I found this a little surprising. Raptor relies very heavily on the effects and making the best use of the fact there is very little track around the rider. This doesn't seem to have quite as much of that.

However, someone did mention whilst in Gardaland that in terms of theming, not everything may have been accounted for in the planning permission. Smaller things may be added as they go along perhaps? I realise that is an incredibly optimistic viewpoint, but meh.

Of course, The Swarm will likely be a more intense coaster considering its scale so this may make up for some of the lacking theming but I still feel they could be missing a trick perhaps?

I gotta hand it to the marketing guys though, the viral trailer vid is superb. My mum thought it was an advert for a film or something.

Fingers crossed they really do pull out all the stops...

I think that is they scatter bricks around near the pathways, and make piles of rumble, than it could fill in some of the space.

That isn't really going to interact with the ride so much though is it?

They definitely need more things that the riders appear to 'collide' with... It was what really added to Raptor and I daresay that this will be the same.

I didn't mean it would interact with the ride, somebody said earlier that even if they included all the theming there wouldn't be enough. So that was my suggestion!

Yeah I think what Nic was referring to was the lack of theming that would interact directly with the ride because I completely agree with her.

Regardless of the amount of themeing I'm still incredibly interested in this thing. If I'm looking at that plan right the drop under the plane wing will at least look cool.

The blood splat on the wall thing though... Not feeling it...

Me thinky, that although there may be a lack of theming, theres still enough to make it a good ride.. theming isnt everything remember!

besides, theres still a first drop that will produce around 60mph!
and okay, the ride isnt the longest, but when you look at the size of the island they had, they couldnt exactly create a ride lasting 3 mins..

because i got bored, i created this:
i also added some trains, again caused by my bordem.

swarmmcolour.png

theres still 4 decent 'near' crash objects on the plans -.-
andd, a fire engine, ruined helicopter, another lorry, and a wrecked church that you will fly past..

its not all doom and gloom ;D

What Mark said. I was talking about near misses - interaction with the ride itself. Oh and as far as this ride type goes, I think theming IS everything. Raptor would be crap without the leg/head choppers and water splashes. As it is, the interaction between theme and ride is spot on, and as a result, it's fantastic. Mind you, I guess Raptor probably doesn't actually have more than this, it just feels like it. Time will tell....

Oh, and, agree with Kimi. The blood splats don't seem to fit. Leave the blood for Saw and halloween.

Nic said:
What Mark said. I was talking about near misses - interaction with the ride itself. Oh and as far as this ride type goes, I think theming IS everything. Raptor would be crap without the leg/head choppers and water splashes. As it is, the interaction between theme and ride is spot on, and as a result, it's fantastic. Mind you, I guess Raptor probably doesn't actually have more than this, it just feels like it. Time will tell....

Couldn't agree more. Plus Raptor has the added bonus of being in a semi-pit all Nemesis stylee... Swarm is on flat ground... (or at least it felt that way). I counted around 7 moments of leg/head chopper within the 90 second ride...

I am not writing off The Swarm just yet, I just have high expectations considering how good the theming made Raptor (without it, the coaster itself would be lame) and know they can very easily be achieved. Whether they are or not remains to be seen. As Nic said, time will tell...

Looking at the pictures of the fenced off area by Stealth, did anyone else notice to the two black panels either side? Linking back to what I said earlier, I reckon they're either hiding something or will have something on them later on. Possibly Fright Night Maze instructions etc or something...?

A big white crane has arrived on site with a blue container seen with it. Track should arrive soon 2-3 weeks probs.

the king said:
A big white crane has arrived on site with a blue container seen with it. Track should arrive soon 2-3 weeks probs.

any picturess? :--D

Nope unfortunatly. I'll be going near end august so i should get some pics of the site then.

Nic said:
Oh, and, agree with Kimi. The blood splats don't seem to fit. Leave the blood for Saw and halloween.

I was going on about how they look more like someone rubbed their Vadgepad and making a smear on it rather than throwing it and making an actual splatter... and it's too bright and makes it look cheap.

Turns out that blue container contained some track. Now the track is behind the crane with a big tent near it. Also they were testing the big crane. No pics yet though.

Big. Crane. Testing... DENIED??? [/dies]

Never fear, I'm going tomorrow with IanFromCoasterForce. We'll take some more mud photos for you all to abuse yourselves over.

Oh, and Kim.... LOL! <3 (If only it were ink from a franking machine smeared on a Ribena bottle... then it'd look more realistic!)

IT's gunna be great only problem is, everyone is gunna call it swarm instead of 'the swarm'

The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

I rode the swarm earlier in my dream and have to admit without themeing it wasn't very good, I'm going back to sleep now and will ride it with themeing and I will let you know if its any better.

Status
Not open for further replies.