What's new

Thorpe Park |"The Swarm"| B&M Wing Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

When I first heard about the name I was dubious, but I think now that I've seen the website it's growing on me. Some people were never going to be pleased no matter what the name was. I'm quite looking forward to seeing if they actually explain the theme well enough on the ride.

If this ride is not connected to Gears of War, then I think Merlin should brace themselves for legal action. The stylisation is identical.

My greatest fear with this is still that it's going to be more Air than Nemesis like, but with excellent theming and near hit points, it should still be a great experience with the unique first drop.

Why should they be worried about legal action? Swarm wasnt a coined term for Gears at all. Locust id a bug. What do you call a group of locusts? A swarm.

I honestly like the name and have no issue with it.

Switching between the hideouts'...

Nic said:
Come on, "The" doesn't matter, we all know that Beans will just call it Swarmie anyway ;)

NNNIIICCCC, you know me.... I don't actually think I will bother with "the" it will automatically be called Swarm, no extras, but nobody calls Saw, Saw The Ride these days anyway, so it will be Swarm to me....
Interesting thought though!!

Intricks said:
Why should they be worried about legal action? Swarm wasnt a coined term for Gears at all. Locust id a bug. What do you call a group of locusts? A swarm.

I honestly like the name and have no issue with it.

To use Merlin-style lingo, use of the font/stylisation/emphasis on war could lead to a misleading association with Gears of War, which is quite damaging to the brand.

I'm no gamer and had never heard of Gears of War until today, but take a minute to Google the imagery and general plot of the games, including a Locust swarm and you may move into my point-of-view.

And the lift hill will have a gear mechanism!!! Gears of War!!! OMG, I get it!!!! So subtle and clever, but Epic will sort them out...

Or not, because even as a gamer, I couldn't find any way that the ride linked significantly to the game. In terms of "look and feel" maybe, but it's not like Gears of War was original there either, they've done exactly the same picking together look and feel from previous films/games/art.

Like a rider at Darien Lake, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on...

I think they would. The logos are identical, use of the word war in the promotional material in the exact same font and style as the Gears of War logo obviously makes people think of the game's brand, or this discussion wouldn't be happening. I think if there isn't a tie-in (which there probably is, because this is Merlin) the publishers of the game would probably be able to bring a successful charge.

Or Merlin are up to their usual tricks, make something look so close to something in the hope that the sponsorship will come afterwards... Then when it doesn't, quickly change the design.

Actually it is the EXACT font, which seeing as that isn't a "general free font", then hmmmmm...

I think they may find that Sony would get on their case though if it was Gears sponsored. The Swarm are the enemy in Resistance, Sony's reply to... Gears of War 3. Both are being released around the same time, so Sony could then say that any reference to a computer game, using their enemy from one of their IP is also in breach of their branding.

Oh dear, this is all looking like a bit of a mess... I'll not be going to opening day on this one...

furie said:
Like a rider at Darien Lake, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on...

This made me laugh way more than it really should have done... Top marks to furie once again... :lol:

I think the really tenous links to the games should stop now though... It's putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 as the result... Looking WAY too much into things here and if it WERE anything to do with an IP, it would have the registered trademark stuff in the small print at the bottom of the site as required...

What is worth talking about is why they used that font. Are they even aware of it's similarities to Gears of War? Do they care? Is that the point? Is it just lazyness? Typographers cost money, I guess. How many average people are going to notice that it's the same font? Were they trying to make it obvious in that first video?

The font isn't a general use font, it was specifically designed for Gears of War. To get that font, they either had the source, or deliberately searched and acquired a "Gears of War" style font. So it's not lazy, unless they simply searched for "War" font and picked that one? Must try that search :lol:

It looks dirty and gritty like the fallout font...

ITZ OBV FALLOUT THE RIDE!!!?

This getting almost as bad as "sonics legs are too long" argument. Its a post apocalyptic ride. Its not a hard theme to do so anything in that setting is going to looks similar to other thing.

Ooh, it's all a bit Obliviony around there with the security guard.

Im going with lazy search produced results for the font. Ive played Gears, and when I saw WAR in the promo vid, made absolutely NO connection to Gears of War to me at all. If amything, the themeing of the one train they do show reminds me of Men in Black cockroach thing...or metallic raptor.

However, just to join the fooray...the plane crash and helicopter crash are from Left 4 Dead 1+2+DLC....Valve will jump in as well. Makers of Warhammer Online (WAR for short) will get uber pissed at possibly being tied in as well. Lets also add in Call of Duty: World at War as well just for shenanigans >,>

Microsoft has never really acted like Konami or Apple, so I think they will let the general use of the supposed font for WAR be allowed. Free advertising if you will cause people will obviously pay complete attention to the font and forever look for said font til they find Gears of War 75, and turn into major fanatics for it cause the general populace always looks at the themeing of the ride and how the title is put into font as well as follow viral campaigns.

Did I miss something just now?

Haha, thats actually pretty awesome, I love marketing like that and nice to see it make a return.

As for the bridge, I don't think they will build one from the sunken garden onto the island as it wasn't in the plans, that construction wall is there purely for marketing the coaster in the Stealth area i would have thought.

I think 'The Swarm' is a cool name and I think it will be a great coaster.

the king said:
You guys think thorpe are building another bridge near the hydraulic room of stealth?

i think there building it to the island of the 2015 coaster? ^_^ dont know for suree

Status
Not open for further replies.