What's new

Thorpe Park |"The Swarm"| B&M Wing Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with only updating the front page is that posts get missed, they do now anyway. All people will read is the front page so what would be the point posting anything anywhere else?

Maybe this whole topic should be in another topic as not to spam up this topic :)

Or maybe Ollie does not want it to over take the number of pages that the Saw topic got lol.

Ok, enough talk about updating the first page of every construction topic. It's a very good idea but too time consuming at this moment in time. Once the new site is up and running, there will be a "construction update page" for each new attraction.

Back to the ride chatter, please...

Looking forward to this big time. I expect it to swoop down really close to the water and near to the aircraft - much more so than what I've seen on the recreations so far.

AJ said:
Mit deLuxe said:
Aslong as they don't use scaffolding as part of the theming then I'm all for this!
As I HATE the use of it on 13!

It's already been decided that quite a large amount of the station will be scaffold, and the supports will be themed to scaffold.

Saves time and money.

UCH, it just makes it look so cheap!

I'm under the impression that this is a deserted, post-apocalyptic area, so unless there was building work taking place before the disaster, there is no need for scaffolding. Unless the army had been in to make the buildings secure. Yeah, scaffolding would be a cop out for this particular ride.

Nah, I think Alex was messing about with the scaffold stuff.

From what I can tell this is simply going to look like a church half fallen down (which could be done with well dressed scaffold etc).

Well dressed scaffolding:

fan2041186.jpg

^ We remember it well Ollie :p

I noticed in the planning permission it said that the application submission for LC12 was slightly delayed and have also asked for a speedy response ahead of a final decision of the MTDP so they can put in their order with B&M.

I wonder how soon a decision is likely?

Out of curiosity, would Thorpe have had to pay B&M just to design the coaster, even though an order/construction has the chance of not going through?

I mean, I'm sure it will go through and they wouldn't have even got to this stage without a lot of preperation beforehand, but I've always wondered when/where the costs (to the park) of a coaster getting built actually start.

I'd have thought so, I know that the company I work for do it like that, it's just a kind of "Deposit" if you will. We do it in stages and such like, We'll do this for such amount, then this following stage will cost this, then overall it's 'this'. I'm not saying they do it in stages, but yeah, I'm sure they have to pay for the Coaster designs.

I'm sure it's similar to any of the planning permission processes for domestic extensions etc (just more detailed and expensive). You have to pay an architect to draw up the plans (B&M designing the coaster and all the ground surveys etc), then it gets approved, then construction can begin.

It's unlikely that the architect (or B&M) are going to recommend going for something that is completely impossible, but I'd have thought they still charge.

gavin said:
Out of curiosity, would Thorpe have had to pay B&M just to design the coaster, even though an order/construction has the chance of not going through?

I mean, I'm sure it will go through and they wouldn't have even got to this stage without a lot of preperation beforehand, but I've always wondered when/where the costs (to the park) of a coaster getting built actually start.

I work in architecture, and any consultants would definitely be getting paid, whether or not it actually gets built. And if Thorpe wanted to vary anything in the design further, they'd have to put in change request to the relevant consultants, and pay again for that too.

Of course, the amount of design work done would reflect the stage in the approval process. They'd only have to get through the Conceptual Design and Schematic Design phases to get to the point ofhaving enough for the submissions to authorities. Fortunately these two phases only represent about 30% of the total fee, and the serious money only gets paid at the Design Development and Construction Documentation phases.

Surely they go to the council for advice first before submitting the plans. They'll be able to say whether it stands a chance of being built of not before they even get as far as submitting the official request?

I'm sure they probably have their limits/guidelines that the council would have set? Then they play around within the limits they're given, and see if it's approvable?

Well I'd have thought part of the 'architects' job is to understand the likelihood of the project being accepted. They'll speak to the local council (or just know from experience maybe?) about whether or not the project is likely to go ahead. I somehow don't see them just drawing up the plans first.

AJ said:
Yeah, just a destroyed church really. No scaffolding at all. Should be good :)

So it's New Zealand themed 2011, not New Zealand 2012? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.