What's new

The Games we play...

Well, bought a PSP last night - I'm such a Sony fan boy :lol:

Like the PS3, it's a superb toy. You just sit and play with it. Unlike Nintendo, it has good back end support - so I can get demos and the like - connect my two machines together easily, etc. It just works :)

I bought it with Pursuit thingy whatsit - which is a solid release game (and well worth £8). Good fun, shallow, mindless stuff. And also the Sega Megadrive collection - though I don't know why as I never liked the Megadrive, or any of it's games (most of the arcade conversions I have the originals of on Mame anyway).

Got the demo of... Well, all the demos :) God of War is excellent stuff. Again, mindless, pick up and splatter stuff.

Patapon is wonderful. Rhythm action strategy game. I love these off the wall games only the Japanese seem able to pull off, and which you only ever seem able to get on the Sony platforms - it's why I always end up heading Sonywards. I shall get Patapon and beats I think full games - tempted by Burnout and God of War too :)

It's odd, because everyone goes on about Nintendo being childish and shallow in the games area, but the reason I don't get on with Nintendo games is because I don't have the time to put in to them. I just want to sit and play for two minutes, or two hours, or whatever. Most Nintendo games (from Mario Kart, SSMB, Mario, etc, etc) all require ample amounts of your time. You may be able to have a quick buzz, but it's not satisfactory, because the games reward long play sessions. Simple to pick up, but long term in rewards.

The Sony stuff is instantly easy to pick up... And put down again. So it suits my style of play much better (the odd ten minutes or half an hour when I get the chance - where I don't really need to remember what I did before :lol:).

I've still got the Wii and DS for those times when I want to put in some effort mind :)

^Im actually thinking of getting a psp just for the stuff i can get for free and all the indipendentgaes from the psn ill see how much discount i get at work lol. On a side note guitar hero on tour for the ds is rather coolothig compaired to the console but fun all the same. Recently downloaded elephunk from the PSN and its an awsome puzzle game i love it. And tempted to download siren after playing the demo its very rez evil im liking it

I got Beats off the PSN last night (a fiver). It's a rhythm action game, only it uses MP3's you put onto your memory stick - so all the songs are ones you know and love! Awesome! :)

Very simple game, but more than worth a fiver :D

I downloaded the Elephunk demo, and it's okay, but not had much chance to really play with it yet. I did spend a fiver on new songs for Singstar last night when I was drunk though... Great game, and I love the idea of being able to download stuff, but why do they have to make it so easy to spend your money! :lol:

LittleBIGplanet is what im keping my eye on this year. Can't wait for it :)

Beats is an awesome little thing. I don't really call it a game though... i don't know why, but its a little bit bland for my liking. Although the mechanics are good, it doesnt feel quite finished.

^That's nice... :p

For what it's worth in the Smelly/Smithy FFXIII thing, Square have said the 360 version is a while off. Not started yet, apparently. Because the dev kit hasn't arrived :p

Clicky

Also, Mirror's Egde is looking pretty good. Not *entirely* convinced yet, not seen any actual cutscenes/story progression. Flow looks pretty good though. And nice quicksaving.

Also Clicky

From 8 mins 50 seconds, apparently.

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=y4WgH5qF6bU[/youtube]

I'm quite tempted to get this when it comes out. :p

I know it's been talked about here before but I've only just started looking into it.

I like the music in mirrors edge.

FFXIII looks fail like VII

and no talk about Left 4 Dead ?!?! (and its crappy box art?)

AND Soul Calibur 4? (boobs)

I've had Race Driver GRID for about a week and I'm getting addicted to it, It's such an awesome game. One of the best driving games I've ever played. The drifting in it is fantastic, And I love how it's got all the real life cars and drivers like Nobushige Kumakubo, Rhys Millen e.t.c. Some of the races are really challenging too, The races with Ravenwest competing are really hard and when you do get past them they try and clip you off the track, And their challenges are really hard too, I've only managed the Rookie Midnight Touge challenge which was really difficult.

Anyone who loves Racing games should buy it.

GTA4 is still poo.

Got my pc upgraded recently - so am now playing some of the pc games i missed out on..

Namely Civ 4 and Crysis.

Enjoying them both so far.

Patrick said:
IThe races with Ravenwest competing are really hard and when you do get past them they try and clip you off the track

Just wait 'til you get to the very last race...

I'm still struggling with that one.

Ultimate Coaster said:
Still on COD4 here. Just got all the golden guns...I don't play consistently.

Haven't done a whole lot of gaming lately...too busy. Usually I do a few rounds of C&C Generals Zero Hour with my dad or pop onto a COD4 server for a little bit.

I'm waiting 'til final prestige before I start getting golden guns, on the 7th at the moment rank 46, so vast approaching the 8th.
I do regret doing prestige but I've started so I have to finish, and once I've done that and got the golden guns, thats when I reckon the COD4 disc will start collecting dust.

On a side note, Uncharted got trophies the other day and I was all excited to put in my copy and play it, when I realised I'd traded it in towards GTAIV... gutted, might trade back now as well as I should get decent trade value for GTAIV.

Oh btw, PixelJunk everything is awesome, I've got Monsters, and downloaded Racers the other day which is proper sweet as well, cracking fun game to while away 20minutes or so.
Downloaded the demo for Eden though, bit sketchy, but I didn't know what I was doing on it lol!

Pierre said:
Ultimate Coaster said:
Still on COD4 here. Just got all the golden guns...I don't play consistently.

Haven't done a whole lot of gaming lately...too busy. Usually I do a few rounds of C&C Generals Zero Hour with my dad or pop onto a COD4 server for a little bit.

I'm waiting 'til final prestige before I start getting golden guns, on the 7th at the moment rank 46, so vast approaching the 8th.
I do regret doing prestige but I've started so I have to finish, and once I've done that and got the golden guns, thats when I reckon the COD4 disc will start collecting dust.

Why am I only on second prestige when I play video games alot and your all like with golden guns and 8th prestige and what not. :|

I've started playing a new game file on Zelda: Phantom Hourglass on the DS.
It's easily one of the best games on the console and the graphics and scale of the lands you explore are stunning.

Worth getting. :p

Ollie said:
I've started playing a new game file on Zelda: Phantom Hourglass on the DS.
It's easily one of the best games on the console and the graphics and scale of the lands you explore are stunning.

Worth getting. :p

Unfortunately it gets VERY boring VERY quickly as you have to keep going back to the same dungeon OVER AND OVER and replaying it OVER AND OVER just to get a bit further each time.

And isnt really suited for "handheld" play (i.e. short bursts on the train/airplane/bus stop/toilet, etc) a problem the psp has (it's trying to be a console and not a handheld machine).

Oh, and it does the other BIG NO NO in my book of making me shout/blow/etc into the mic. Which is normally resorts in me instantly turning off the machine, as it makes me look like a geeky ass in public.

I'm on an airplane and the game wants me to shout as loud as i can into the mic, the louder the more stuff i get?!? Come on!!!

Yeah, that temple that you have to keep going back to is a pain in the ass. But some of the puzzles are quite clever like folding your DS shut to transfer a stamp from the top screen to the bottom screen. :p

Phantom hourglass was fun for a couple of days, bu then I lost interest in it very quickly after that. I haven't played it for so long now that I don't know where it is, and I really want to play it now. :cry:

Ollie said:
But some of the puzzles are quite clever like folding your DS shut to transfer a stamp from the top screen to the bottom screen. :p

It's not much of a puzzle any more. :p

Lain said:
It's not much of a puzzle any more. :p

Yeah.. can people PLEASE try to be careful about spoilers!

it's one thing spoiling a plot (which to me isnt that important to a game), but spoiling a puzzle so that someone doesnt get the "ooh, i'm clever for thinking of how to do that" feeling isnt on.

I've completed Braid (now on xlba) 100% before it was even released.. i know EVERY puzzle in it.. But i wont spoil it for anyone.

BTW - Braid is ace.. but a tad short.